07 Overland 5.7 Street Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 07 Overland 5.7 Street Build

50" LED CREE Light Bar Pair With Wiring KitFLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
NCM1987

07 Overland 5.7 Street Build

Okay ladies and gentleman, well trying to do a build for a more street inspired jeep like an RT style with some SRT flare. I am looking for similar builds on the forums with ideas of where I can pull some more power without a supercharger and turbo. Ideas of where to look as far as manufacturers and people to help feed my inability to be satisfied until it is my Jeep. I have done slight mods, air intak, exhaust, chipped and the SRT rims and tires, Eibach lowering springs and new shocks and struts, drilled and slotted rotors and kind of stuck now on the next best option. Want to do a cam install and heads to the converter, but I cant find headers. Options, advice, anything will help.

Thank you,
Nicholas

20150425_123130.jpg  
NCM1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #2
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you're off to a good start. What kind of tuner did you get? How is it set up? What kind of exhaust? What kind of intake? The mods. to the engine/transmission that you're after really depend on how much $$$ you want to spend, whether or not you want to adversely affect driveabiliby, and how much power you're after. Also, you should do the mods. in a logical order.....i.e. don't do a mod. that you'll only get partial results out of until you've made other mods. I started in this order....intake (cheap, easy modified stock system), then custom exhaust with headers, tuners, cam/underdrive pulley, throttle body, and finally coils. I didn't do heads because they don't give a very big bang for the buck (~30hp. for $2000) and it required significantly more engine teardown. I did my cam and valve springs/pushrods without removing the heads. My cam change only required removal of engine valve covers and front timing cover. Here's my take on building a quite a bit better street Hemi. I did mine with what I considered a minimum of expense. The header back exhaust and the cam/kit were the biggest expenses, but also delivered the most horsepower gain. See my signature for my list of mods. Also, I figure I am up around 100 hp. over stock and have cut more than a second off my quarter mile times.

As far as headers go, your options are pretty limited.....from easiest/cheapest to most expensive/difficult.....stock LX exhaust logs (outlet collector goes from 1 3/4 to 2 5/8 in.) and requires "Y" pipe modification; stock SRT manifolds, a fairly efficient improvement requiring a modification for the EGR to work properly and minor cutting on the transmission case for clearance purposes; aftermarket SRT long tube headers requires the same EGR and case mod., extensive "Y" pipe modification and rear O2 Sensor extensions; find someone to build you a custom set like I did. With all of the above, you should be running a 3 in. tube exhaust (or duals if you want to spend a bunch more $$$), preferably with a straight through muffler and resonator. The resonator keeps the "MDS drone" to a minimum. If you don't mind the drone, you can leave the resonator off. A good header back system is worth about 30-35 hp.

After a good header back exhaust, a properly selected cam is by far the best bang for the buck.....about 50 hp. for less than $1000. There are a number of good cams available from several cam grinders. Here is where you can make or break your driveability. That's why you must chose carefully based on your goals and preferences. I used a Frank's Racing Sidewinder (made by Comp. Cams) cam, because it has been well dyno proven for years over on the LX platform vehicles. I also have the same cam in my Hemi LX.....modified the same as the WK. If you also want to increase your fuel economy, buy a cam that is MDS friendly. With mine, I now routinely get 22-23 mpg. on the highway, running at 2200-2400 RPM in 4th gear, at ~65-68 mph.

There are quite a few makers of CNC ported/big valve heads, if you want to go this route. A recent article in Mopar Muscle Magazine showed the difference (increase) in airflow between the stock and ported heads.....between 4 and 41 CFM from .100 to .550 in. valve lift on the intake side, and between 6 and 43 CFM from .100 to .550 in. on the exhaust side. IMO, not worth the difference on an otherwise pretty much stock Hemi. The only time I'd do this mod. is if I broke the engine and had to do a major teardown. Then I'd go larger displacement and some more serious mods. Like I said above, heads are worth about 30 hp. for around $2000 on a NA engine.

If you're going to do a lot of drag racing, a torque converter will make a big difference in getting the 4700+ lb. WK mass moving. It'll get the launch RPM up to a range closer to the torque curve of whatever cam you buy. You'll generate more heat in the transmission and your in-town fuel economy will probably suffer, but once you get full lockup you'll be good. IMO, before you do something like this you should give the rest of the transmission a little help first.....i.e. a line pressure booster, a shift kit, and the Superchips Advanced Transmission Tuning Application. These things help it quite a bit, but a stall converter would be nice if I did a lot more racing than once or twice a year. Again, to me, the bang for the buck and practicality just isn't there for this mod. Just my 2 cents.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
Jeepboarder
2008 WK 

Your jeep looks awesome and welcome to the forum. Did you go with SRT Bilsteins and the Eibach SRT lowering springs? How much of a drop/level did you get?
Unread 04-29-2015, 05:43 AM   #4
NCM1987

90grandoneer, thank you for all the input, way more information than I have found on the internet and calling shops to help out. I did the Airaid intake, catback exhaust by mbrp but want to upgrade that again, trying for a new sound. diablo intune tuner with the diablo 93 tune. Your build sheet sounds like you have an excellent platform.

I did get the eibach srt lowering springs, they dropped it a good inch and some change. have to upgrade to the srt bilsteins though.
NCM1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.