'07 Grand Cherokee starter problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > '07 Grand Cherokee starter problems

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
bionic_hip
2007 WK 

'07 Grand Cherokee starter problems

Having an issue with my 2007 GC....tried to start it yesterday and it wouldn't turn over. I can't completely rule out the battery but all the electronics turn on. I swapped out the starter relay with another relay.....still wouldn't start.
About 5 minutes after I swapped relays (and a few attempts to start it), I randomly tried to start it and viola! it started.
This happened one other time, this past fall. Any ideas? Bad starter?
Thanks,

bionic_hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
marka2k

2006 WK 

This is usually an indication of a bad starter, however you cannot rule out the battery depending how old it is etc.

Silver WK Club #46
06 WK Overland
MyGiG RER
OEM Parkview Rear Camera
4xGuard Matrix
4XGuard Front Skid
4XGuard Rock Rails
HID Projector
2" Lift

04 TJ Rubicon Silver
Rokmen Fuel Tank Skid
Rokmen Front Skid
Rokmen Tummy Tuck
Novak Shifter
Ground Pounder Fab Front Bumper
Warn M8000 Winch
marka2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
bionic_hip
2007 WK 

Right now, it's stuck at the grocery store parking lot down the road......is there anything I can do to get it started, to at leasts get it home to replace the starter? With my old Wrangler, I was able to knock the starter with a hammer to get it going. Can I do this with the '07 GC?
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
marka2k

2006 WK 

If you can get to it yes, or try bump starting it, ignition: off, start, off start until it starts that's the way i got mine to start when it did the same to me took five or six times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionic_hip View Post
Right now, it's stuck at the grocery store parking lot down the road......is there anything I can do to get it started, to at leasts get it home to replace the starter? With my old Wrangler, I was able to knock the starter with a hammer to get it going. Can I do this with the '07 GC?

Silver WK Club #46
06 WK Overland
MyGiG RER
OEM Parkview Rear Camera
4xGuard Matrix
4XGuard Front Skid
4XGuard Rock Rails
HID Projector
2" Lift

04 TJ Rubicon Silver
Rokmen Fuel Tank Skid
Rokmen Front Skid
Rokmen Tummy Tuck
Novak Shifter
Warn M8000 Winch
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
bionic_hip
2007 WK 

My neighbor across the street helped me get it started......hammer to the starter got it rolling, he helped put a new starter in. Good as new (remanufactured new)!
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:49 AM   #6
marka2k

2006 WK 

Glad everything turned out ok.

Silver WK Club #46
06 WK Overland
MyGiG RER
OEM Parkview Rear Camera
4xGuard Matrix
4XGuard Front Skid
4XGuard Rock Rails
HID Projector
2" Lift

04 TJ Rubicon Silver
Rokmen Fuel Tank Skid
Rokmen Front Skid
Rokmen Tummy Tuck
Novak Shifter
Warn M8000 Winch
Unread 12-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
bionic_hip
2007 WK 

More starting issues......

My '07 grand cherokee is having issues again. Starter was replaced in July. About 2 weeks ago, it would not start. Came out 6hrs later and it started. A few days later, same issue. Couldn't see anything immediately wrong (starter was tight, wire from battery fine.) happened again this past Sunday......had to have it towed to the shop. They said it was a bad starter......after pushing them to run a diagnostic, they said it was the starter relay and replaced it. It started fine for 2 days....went out tonight and nothing. My frustration level increases exponentially, each time this happens.
Does anyone have a suggestion as to what might be the culprit? Ignition switch, maybe?
Unread 12-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
GregK340
2007 WK 

FWIW, mine was doing the same thing, wouldn't turn over, then start good for 3-4 days, then no start. changed battery, no problems since. But my battery was over 6 years old so it wasn't a hard decision. they do have problems with the ignition switch, and the wire going to the starter (yellow maybe) has corrosion problems with the terminal end (between the wire and the end).
GregK340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
jtwkl07

I had this problem for about a year; eventually an auto shop was able to duplicate the problem and they said it was a mechanical problem in the starter itself. They replaced the entire starter and I haven't had a problem since. It was expensive though
jtwkl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
bumzo1
2005 WK 

I had this issue a couple months ago and I'm pretty sure it was corrosion on the yellow wire. Luckily I was able to wiggle the wire a bit and get it to start. That was 2 months ago and it hasn't happened since, hopefully it'll stay that way. Good luck.
Khaki WK Club Member #1
bumzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
JKM
2005 WK 

it's the yellow wire. Replace the terminal and you'll be all good
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #12
bionic_hip
2007 WK 

Thanks everyone. The starter is new, as of July. I'll try the wire, see if that fixes it.
Not exactly what I had on my Christmas list this year.........
Unread 12-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #13
bionic_hip
2007 WK 

Started it this morning.....a series of "static" clicks before it actually started, almost like there us a short somewhere. Same thing later in the day. Without delving too deep, the yellow wire appears fine, secure. Wondering more if it's the ignition switch?
Unread 12-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
GregK340
2007 WK 

On the yellow wire, the bad connection is between the end of the wire and the terminal end (actually inside the terminal end), that connects to the starter. so the terminal end could be secure to the starter, but your bad connection is actually 1/2" further upstream.
GregK340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #15
JKM
2005 WK 

second that. Problem is where the bar wire crimps to the terminal. Corrosion in the crimp and you can't see it. Best to replace the terminal. You can use a basice female blade terminal instead. I would recommend covering it with shrink tubing afterwards to make it weathproof (that's the issue with the factory terminal). Clean all connections and cover in die-electric grease
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.