07 GC 3.0L CRD Transmission Problems. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 07 GC 3.0L CRD Transmission Problems.

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #16
DieselDevotion
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsocal
When I try to drive, the engine revs, but, the truck barely moves, like a bad clutch if it was a manual. Any suggestions? I guess I'm at the point that I need to tow it to a repair shop.
I haven't heard of it on these trannys but I have seen a couple guys with hemi's have their trans filter come off and cause the same problem. Is the problem something that has been slowly getting worse or did it happen all of a sudden?

DieselDevotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #17
sfsocal
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDevotion

I haven't heard of it on these trannys but I have seen a couple guys with hemi's have their trans filter come off and cause the same problem. Is the problem something that has been slowly getting worse or did it happen all of a sudden?
It was sudden.
sfsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #18
Radcrd
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsocal View Post
I got the Miller dipstick today, but, not the scanner, yet. I put the dipstick in with the engine cold just to see if there was any fluid. I was hoping there wasn't, so it would be easy to diagnose

As it turns out, it read 60. So, it isn't low transmission fluid causing my problem.

When I try to drive, the engine revs, but, the truck barely moves, like a bad clutch if it was a manual. Any suggestions? I guess I'm at the point that I need to tow it to a repair shop.
Your level seems low, see this thread for more info: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...l#post14383948
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
sfsocal
2007 WK 

That was the reading without even running the engine. It was completely cold. Since I can't read the temp yet, I just wanted to see if it had any fluid. I figured that if it had all leaked out, it would be easy to figure out.
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #20
Radcrd
2007 WK 

My level NOT running car sitting overnight was between 80 and 82mm. Temp 60* ambient. I increased it to 85mm and it has been better. Not perfect but better.
At 60mm I think you are WAY low. Add a bit at a time and re-check.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #21
sfsocal
2007 WK 

Good feedback. Thanks! This morning, my serpentine belt broke. This thing is killing me!
Unread 01-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #22
Radcrd
2007 WK 

LOL! Mine slipped off a few days before New Years... Tensioner had failed, had to wait till after holidays to get parts! Was down for almost a week.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #23
bugsybdb
2007 WK 

First off I dont want to jack this thread, so if I need to move this question please let me know. I have a 07 Grand Cherokee CRD. Today I drove to the mountains without a problem. Climbed the mountain like a champ. While coming down I was using a lower gear to conserve the brakes. I upshifted to 5th gear when the terrain leveled out, and it sounded like it was still in 4th gear. All of a sudden I heard a bang and the transmission went to fith gear, but there was a rattling noise from under the jeep. I went into Neutral and then back in drive gear. It sounded fine for about 30 seconds then the rattling noise with a feel of loss of power. It felt as though something was bogging me down. It sounded like the rattle was up front but not sure. I had to pay $200 dollars to tow it to my house. First does anyone know what this is, and second would the mercedes dealer be the best to take it? Third would this be covered under power train warranty?
bugsybdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #24
Nejeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsocal View Post
I got the Miller dipstick today, but, not the scanner, yet. I put the dipstick in with the engine cold just to see if there was any fluid. I was hoping there wasn't, so it would be easy to diagnose

As it turns out, it read 60. So, it isn't low transmission fluid causing my problem.

My NAG1 transmission level runs about 80mm after sitting overnight, so I agree your level is too low. Be careful not to over fill.
Some common leak points are the electrical plug on the passenger side of the transmission and the rubber cooling lines near the radiator. Several threads on here if you need more info.

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #25
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsybdb View Post
First off I dont want to jack this thread, so if I need to move this question please let me know. I have a 07 Grand Cherokee CRD. Today I drove to the mountains without a problem. Climbed the mountain like a champ. While coming down I was using a lower gear to conserve the brakes. I upshifted to 5th gear when the terrain leveled out, and it sounded like it was still in 4th gear. All of a sudden I heard a bang and the transmission went to fith gear, but there was a rattling noise from under the jeep. I went into Neutral and then back in drive gear. It sounded fine for about 30 seconds then the rattling noise with a feel of loss of power. It felt as though something was bogging me down. It sounded like the rattle was up front but not sure. I had to pay $200 dollars to tow it to my house. First does anyone know what this is, and second would the mercedes dealer be the best to take it? Third would this be covered under power train warranty?
Not sure what the issue is, but I would advise against the mercedes dealer...they will tell you to take it to the Jeep dealer....just tow it there.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #26
fishinbama
2007 WK 

The fifth gear means you are in limp mode. Don't drive it far at all in limp mode, it will tear up more stuff. If you can hear a noise, maybe you could try to pinpoint from where? Also, you could get a scanner to read the codes.
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #27
bugsybdb
2007 WK 

Well I threw it in neutral and coasted down the hill to a business and called a tow truck. $200 later I had it home. I called the Mercedes dealer (before I received your reply) and they told me to take it to a Jeep dealer. The jeep is there now and the service guy stated he will look at it today or tomorrow and try to diagnose it for me. We will see how good the extended warranty is, and I will post a reply of what the out come was.
Unread 02-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #28
bugsybdb
2007 WK 

Oh yeah, sorry but I have the Green Diesel Tune, and checked for any codes. None showed up. I also tuned the Jeep back to stock before delivery to the dealership.
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #29
bugsybdb
2007 WK 

Ok so the dealer has had the jeep GC for two days now and they think they diagnosed the problem. First they say they found a broken front differential I think it was an issue on another thread. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/h...ft-r-n-824555/
Which was not covered under the Chrysler powertrain warranty, but luckily I purchased the extended warranty and that covered it. Second they said they found that the Yolk was loose and needed to be replaced. That was covered under the Chrysler powertrain warranty. I should get the truck back in a about two days and we will se if that fixes the problem. All in all with the extended warranty it will cost me about $50 for the deductible. I sure am glad I bought the extended warranty. I will post another reply when I pick up the jeep to see if that fixes the problem.
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #30
Tuco
2007 WK 

That is great that your warranty will cover most. But why did it break in the first place and what exactly broke?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.