07 GC 3.0L CRD Transmission Problems. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 07 GC 3.0L CRD Transmission Problems.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
sfsocal
2007 WK 

07 GC 3.0L CRD Transmission Problems.

I need advice. I am having transmission issues. Should I take it to the dealer, or to someplace like AAMCO? I have an 07 GC 3.0L CRD. Every dealer I take it to, asks if I bought it in Europe. I took it to a dealer to have a glow plug changed. They had it 10 days because they ran out of fuel, and then had to vent the engine, which resulted in covering the entire engine with diesel fuel. They also broke something that had to be ordered, and on and on and on.

I suspect that the tranny isn't unique, but, still wonder if transmission folks are better than dealer techs.

sfsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
jjt250
2007 WK 

The CRD uses the same transmission as the 3.7 V6 and the SRT8 so any dealer should be able to service it.
Unread 01-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
fishinbama
2007 WK 

I wouldn't go to aamco. Personally, I had bad luck with them(long ago) and now equate them with somewhere between scam/honest dealer. Don't let Aamco tear your transmission down, they will charge you to put it back together.
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

I believe the CRD's have the NAG1 transmission (no dipstick), which is a Mercedes transmission. They should be able to work on them reliabily and without screwing it up. I don't think too many of the Jeep dealers are equipped (knowledge, technicians, tools, etc.) to the best job possible. The first thing I'd do is take it somewhere that has the correct equipment to check the fluid level. It has to be a certain level at a certain temperature. When was the last time it was serviced? Do you have any trans. shops in your area that are trustworthy, reliable and knowledgeable? Personally, I would stay away from the chains, like Aamco. Seems as though that's the same type of thing as going to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. Remember, these things a controlled electronically, and if serviced in a timely manner and fluid level is properly maintained, they seldom have problems. I have a NAG1 in my Hemi LX and it's worked flawlessly for over 7 years. Good luck and let us know what you end up finding.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
BAH101
2008 WK 

You could look for a dealer who services sprinter vans, they will have more qualified techs with CRD experience
Unread 01-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
sfsocal
2007 WK 

Thanks for the great advice. It is the Trans w/o a dipstick. 90grandoneer, is your recommendation to take it to a Mercedes dealer for the transmission work?
Unread 01-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Yes, it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask them if they can help you, if your tranny is substantially the same as the ones in the Benz's. They probably wouldn't be able to do much IF you need to have the TCM updated though. That would require the Starscan, which they probably don't have. Also, don't know who makes the diesel in the WK, but the MB folks are also diesel knowledgeable. I know one of the main reasons I bought my Hemi LX is because of the Benz association, plus I've been a Benz owner for almost 30 years. My LX also has quite a few Benz components.....seats, transmission, suspension, etc.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
Yes, it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask them if they can help you, if your tranny is substantially the same as the ones in the Benz's. They probably wouldn't be able to do much IF you need to have the TCM updated though. That would require the Starscan, which they probably don't have. Also, don't know who makes the diesel in the WK, but the MB folks are also diesel knowledgeable. I know one of the main reasons I bought my Hemi LX is because of the Benz association, plus I've been a Benz owner for almost 30 years. My LX also has quite a few Benz components.....seats, transmission, suspension, etc.
The diesel is a Benz engine so they should be able to service that too.
Unread 01-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
sfsocal
2007 WK 

I had thought about taking it to a MB dealer for the engine, but, I read in another thread that some of the parts are Jeep. I think it is still a better idea. Thanks!
Unread 01-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
sfsocal
2007 WK 

How do I put fluid in? Do I remove the cap on the dipstick tube and feed it in there?
Unread 01-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
DieselDevotion
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsocal
How do I put fluid in? Do I remove the cap on the dipstick tube and feed it in there?
Yes but don't overfill. You'll need a scan tool capable of reading trans temp to properly measure the level. They make funnels specifically for filling the trans.
DieselDevotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
sfsocal
2007 WK 

OK. I've ordered the Miller 9336a dipstick and an 'INNOVA 3160B ABS/SRS+ Professional CanOBDII Diagnostic Code Scanner with Enhanced Live Data'. My current scanner can't do live data. It's new, so I'll return it. Do I need a special tool to take that cap off?
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #13
Radcrd
2007 WK 

no just pull it off. the Miller tool will not go in all the way. this is normal. Just be sure it touches bottom of pan ( you will feel it )
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
sfsocal
2007 WK 

I got the Miller dipstick today, but, not the scanner, yet. I put the dipstick in with the engine cold just to see if there was any fluid. I was hoping there wasn't, so it would be easy to diagnose

As it turns out, it read 60. So, it isn't low transmission fluid causing my problem.

When I try to drive, the engine revs, but, the truck barely moves, like a bad clutch if it was a manual. Any suggestions? I guess I'm at the point that I need to tow it to a repair shop.
Unread 01-29-2013, 12:52 AM   #15
FrenchXj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

if you are lucky it is Probably the same problem they have on WH, the actuator stay stuck... need to pull it appart, clean it, flush the transmission and go
FrenchXj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.