07 CRD w/ Heavy Bullbar - Suspension Issues? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 07 CRD w/ Heavy Bullbar - Suspension Issues?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 07-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
basthen
2007 WK 

07 CRD w/ Heavy Bullbar - Suspension Issues? Old Man Emu on the line?

Good evening guys. Just for the record, I am pretty green when it comes to suspension and lift.

When I installed the ARB Bull Bar, I was aware that the suspension wasn't rated for that extra weight to carry around. Since that day, I put 15000km on the Jeep. (90% hwy). The reseller was suggesting to install OEM HD shocks that were meant to hold the extra 130lbs. I just though I should run the factory ones to the ground before swapping them.

I think the day arrived. Driving around town when there is little bumps or holes I can hear from the driver side front wheels a rattling/clunky sound from there. What could it be? I crawl underneath and tried to wiggle a bunch of different stuff but everything was feeling snug.

That brings me to my next question, if the shocks are gone, I'll replace them with good quality HD shocks that will last. Stiffer too. I looked at the Bilstein website but there is no load rating on their shocks. Anybody else? While I am changing theses shocks is it a good time to include a lift like the RR 2,25"?

Thank you for reading.. Any advices?

Last edited by basthen; 07-19-2008 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: typos..
basthen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
Jake03KJ
2007 WK 

I read in Diesel Power that they switched out the front springs from their Grand with ones from the Commander Hemi. They also installed some new Bilsteins too.

Lost to the Ex. 07 WK Overland CRD Black/4xGuard Belly Skid & Rear Skid/Amsoil/Custom Winter Front/InMotion Stg II/MBRP Exhaust
Jake03KJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
Acidcold
2005 WK 

Check your upper ball joints, grab the upper A arm and rattle it like it stole from you.
Acidcold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #4
basthen
2007 WK 

No success Acidcold... I got an appointement at the dealership tuesday, see what they have to say...

Last edited by basthen; 07-19-2008 at 08:53 AM..
Unread 07-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
basthen
2007 WK 

Waiting for the dealership verdict, I went back to the 4x4 shop where I bought my ARB Bull Bar to ask for their opinion.

We all agreed that they was no point to change something that wasn't broke but if the front suspension is going, he was strongly suggesting me a "Old Man Emu" from ARB (also..) suspension that gives also a 2" lift for the Jeep.

Anybody got knowledge or experience with that brand? Please share.
Unread 07-19-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
TaosBob
2007 WK 

It's one of the old established companies catering to the off-road crowd. Unfortunately, they probably don't have anything for the WK Jeeps. Not under suspension systems. Check out their web site at http://www.oldmanemu.com/.
TaosBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
basthen
2007 WK 

I didn't tried very hard to find it on the web site but I know it is available. A 4x4 outfit asked me 1195+5% for it.

It just sound very expensive to me! Unless feedback turn's out to be very good, I don't think I'll do the move.

Last edited by basthen; 10-15-2008 at 09:14 PM..
Unread 07-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #8
TRZ
2008 WK 

You're going to need stiffer springs.

An alternative - expensive but less so than OME, is to get a set of springs from King Springs in Australia. They make 2 sets - 1 that is about 15% stiffer than "stock" and the other is 25% stiffer than "stock". Both sets are 1.3" taller than stock. (Jeep used about 12 different spring rates on WKs, so I don't really know what King means by "stock" rates).

They only ship via FedEx, so shipping costs are the same as purchase costs - about $US450-$US500 total. Init4Fun has an ARB w/ winch and a set of the 25% stiffer than stock springs and he loves them. (I have a set of the softer springs but have not installed them - waiting to design and fab my front bumper.)
TRZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2008, 07:55 AM   #9
basthen
2007 WK 

Thank you for the reply TRZ. It look like a cheaper option than changing the whole suspension. But maybe in the long run for durability the Old Man Emu kit would be better..

Do you know if he only changed the front springs or all 4?
Unread 07-20-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
Jake03KJ
2007 WK 

Front Suspension

13000mile 3.0L Jeep Diesel Update

Check out this link from DP Magazine.

Lost to the Ex. 07 WK Overland CRD Black/4xGuard Belly Skid & Rear Skid/Amsoil/Custom Winter Front/InMotion Stg II/MBRP Exhaust
Unread 07-20-2008, 03:09 PM   #11
TRZ
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by basthen View Post
Thank you for the reply TRZ. It look like a cheaper option than changing the whole suspension. But maybe in the long run for durability the Old Man Emu kit would be better..

Do you know if he only changed the front springs or all 4?
Just the front springs.

The info from the Diesel article was good. Problem is the author had access to Jeep engineers who could specify which springs to use, but Jeep considers spring rate information to be industry secrets, so you won't be able to just go to your Jeep dealer and ask for those springs. You'll have to guess which Commander (which equipment, which year) from which you want replacement springs. I'd probably guess 2008 Commander with Hemi, Tow Package and QDII (the heaviest Commander you can think of).
Unread 07-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #12
Jake03KJ
2007 WK 

Jeep PN 52124207AA which are the 601 lb-in springs from the Commander. This was listed in the printed Magazine article I linked to earlier. Hope this helps.

Unread 07-21-2008, 07:15 AM   #13
TRZ
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake03KJ View Post
Jeep PN 52124207AA which are the 601 lb-in springs from the Commander. This was listed in the printed Magazine article I linked to earlier. Hope this helps.
There ya go. Cheap, middle and expensive solution for you. All should get you a lot closer to where you want to be. The King Springs will probably level things out for you (I just don't know if the 1.3" longer spring will over compensate for you).
Unread 07-21-2008, 08:59 AM   #14
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by basthen View Post
Waiting for the dealership verdict, I went back to the 4x4 shop where I bought my ARB Bull Bar to ask for their opinion.

We all agreed that they was no point to change something that wasn't broke but if the front suspension is going, he was strongly suggesting me a "Old Man Emu" from ARB (also..) suspension that gives also a 2" lift for the Jeep.

Anybody got knowledge or experience with that brand? Please share.
I had OME on my WJ, got about 2.5" lift.
It was a better on rode ride than stock.
I hope to get the OME lift for my WK.
did he say he had it in stock?
my understanding it has not come to the US yet.

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2008, 09:23 AM   #15
basthen
2007 WK 

No they don't have it stock. They usually order once or twice a week from the warehouse. Last time for the bull bar it took them maybe 7-9 business days.

I deal with theses guys, 4wheel auto wholesale, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.