07 Commander - Buy or look for 08? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 07 Commander - Buy or look for 08?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-30-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
xsrdx

07 Commander - Buy or look for 08?

Hello all, new poster but longtime lurker, driving CJ's and Grand Cherokees since 1983... love my Jeeps. Am looking at Commander for 3rd row seating.

Anyway, local dealer has three 07 Commanders at deep discount - 5.7L Limiteds with QDII, well equipped.

I understand 08's have HID, any other big reason not to pull trigger on an 07, especially from reliability (powertrain, suspension, electrical etc.) perspective? Mileage is not really an issue.

Trying to figure out why they have 4 x 07's but no 2008 models, unless they just didn't order them.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

xsrdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
sabre364
2007 WK 

I don't know much about XKs particularly but when I was looking, the 08 WKs had basically two 'new' features that seemed relevant to me. The 'soft touch' interior, which is less noticeable when buying a limited with all that fancy leather - like your Hemi commanders probably are, and standard heated side mirrors on the laredo. Again that should be std on a limited anyways.

I can't give you much else help, but I don't see why you really need to get an 08, though you might want to consider the lifetime powertrain as a selling point. You CAN get that same warranty (up to a maxcare lifetime) on your used 07s if mileage is not very high, but you will pay an extra 1500 to get the powertrain (which would be standard on a new 08).

Good luck with your purchase, I'm sure others will be able to help you out more than I can.
sabre364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
rwmorrisonjr
2006 XK Commander 

xsrdx, They probably didn't order any '08s since they still had leftover '07s on their lot.

As for the differences, they're mostly interior styling and styling changes. The HEMI engines are the same, along with the drivetrain and other mechanics. Inside, they'08s have the newer MyGIG A/V entertainment systems, restyled dash and gauge cluster, remote start and other small refinements. '08s DO NOT have HIDs, those are only available on the '09s. The '07s have the older dash layout and audio systems with or without navigation, so if you can live with those, then I'd go with the '07, especially if they're slashing the price to the point where they're competitive with the used vehicles on the market. You will get the lifetime powertrain warranty on the '07s as the warranty is based on date of sale (after 7/31/08), not vehicle model year.

For the money, go with the '07s unless you just have to have the MyGIG system.
rwmorrisonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
xsrdx

Thanks for comments!

After test driving today, unfortunately the 07's they have aren't optioned as well as I thought following review of literature, and primary driver (wife) was less than thrilled with driving position and cargo area vs. current GC.

And 07 upgraded stereo lacks AUX input for MP3/iPod.

I found out they do have 08's, just not on the lot as they are still trying to move the 07's. We looked at a pair of very nice 08 Overland's, but I am left with spouse who is less than enthusiastic...

So we'll keep driving WJ for now. Maybe 4th Gen Grand Cherokee will be better fit.

Thanks again-
xsrdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
rwmorrisonjr
2006 XK Commander 

That's the right decision, keep the wife happy!
rwmorrisonjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.