'07 4.7 QTII - Front Driveshaft Slingin Grease - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > '07 4.7 QTII - Front Driveshaft Slingin Grease

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineKrawlOff-Road.com Jeep Beach Sale

Unread 06-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

My issue is specific to the title so I am not sure it's common but anyone with ideas please post up.

I replaced my front driveshaft with a salvaged unit because the original had a bad tear in the rear cv boot and the front cv seemed to be slinging grease.

The "new to me" shaft is installed and after driving around a bit today I see the same thing happening. Grease is being slung from the front end of the differential side cv. Just as before - in the exact same way and location:

The last pic I swiped my finger on the "fin" that collects on the driverside cradle just next to the diff pinion cup (whatever it's called) and the cv "interface."

The only thing I have changed up front was a couple months ago I added Rusty's strut spacers to the OME HD. Not sure when this all started as I noticed it last oil change (maybe 300 miles ago).

Does any else have any experience with what my WK is doing?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

Mine started doing the grease flinging on the other end (t-case side) fairly recently. I just plan on replacing it with a junkyard shaft. My U-joints are on their way out on the rear prop shaft as well. The rear I'm gonna have a new one built, with serviceable U-joints.

WANTED: Steel Armadillo Sliders/Rock rails.
twistedlizard72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
JeepN4KC

The original shaft that I replaced had a huge rip in the rear cv boot that I had never noticed until giving things a close look after noticing the issue with the diff side.

The dust covers (caps) on both cv ends have small holes in them - as if they are relief spots if grease needed to come out.............?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
JeepN4KC

Just to update this thread:

After a couple weeks and some good drive time the replacement front shaft is no longer slingin at the diff end. Everything looks good to go. Don't know if the replacement needed time to situate itself or what.

Regardless - I now have a front shaft with solid cv's at both ends and all is clean.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.