'06 Won't start after it heats up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > '06 Won't start after it heats up

TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 06-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
Drew2675
2006 WK 

'06 Won't start after it heats up

Here's my dilemma. I have an 06 grand limited hemi. Lately it's been not wanting to restart after it gets to temp. Turn the key and nothing happens. The dash and radio fire up and I can hear a click which I assume is the relay but nothing else. It'll start fine when it cools back down. It's been running fine and no other problems. I've done the usual searches to check on remedies for this issue and have found a couple possibilities like yellow wire on solenoid and having the battery checked. It just seems this problem is more predictable than an intermittent not starting issue. Just wanted to pick some brains before I tackle this. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks.

Drew2675 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
WieSeL

Do you hear the starter click?
WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
Drew2675
2006 WK 

No. Nothing but a faint click from what I'm guessing is the relay.
Unread 06-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
ehron
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Electrical resistance increases with temperature. I wonder if your starter is getting an appropriate amount of current from the battery when warm. Could your starter solenoid be bad?

The starter has a heat shield over it. Is that still in place?

If your Jeep is 2wd it's pretty easy to pull the starter. If it's 4wd it's a colossal PITA. If you are able to pull it you could have it tested at a place like Autozone.
ehron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
jamie1131
2006 WK 

This could be as simple as a flat battery. A hot engine can harder to turn over than a cold engine as component expand and compression improves. Normally though the engine will turn half a revolution then baulk.
jamie1131 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew2675 View Post
No. Nothing but a faint click from what I'm guessing is the relay.
Check power to the starter at the starter solenoid signal wire. If it's getting power but nothing happens it's the starter
WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
ehron
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1131 View Post
This could be as simple as a flat battery. A hot engine can harder to turn over than a cold engine as component expand and compression improves. Normally though the engine will turn half a revolution then baulk.
Dur. Tha'ts the easiest thing to check. What's your batteries resting voltage? Carry a volt meter, and check it when it's hot and won't start.
ehron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
Drew2675
2006 WK 

Just went and checked the battery. 12.48 volts resting. I'm leaving here in a bit to tear the wheel well out to access the starter. I'll check the other things then. And yes, the heat shield is still around the starter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.