06 WK Grand Cherokee - leak from under radiator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 06 WK Grand Cherokee - leak from under radiator

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 11-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
IronHorse55

06 WK Grand Cherokee - leak from under radiator

Hi all! New WK owner, and need some help! Got a leak coming from underneath the radiator....on the left side, now dripping on the right. Its not a constant drip, but does leave a small puddles. the fluid is clear, unscented, oily in texture, and room temp to the touch. Cant seem to find exactly where its coming from. Any suggestions what and where it is and coming from?!?!

IronHorse55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
0321Nick
2006 WK 

How many miles on your WK? Radiator should be flushed at 100K/75K for Schedule A/B respectively. Could be time for new hoses.
KHAKI CLUB #65
2006 WK 4.7L V8 - Modified OME HD with Bilstein 5125s (28" length); JBA UCA; JKS Rear Discos; K&N CAI; PowerStop Discs; HyperTech; TOYO Open Country AT IIs 285/70/17; + some other goodies
0321Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
IronHorse55

Its got almost 79K on it. Thanks!
IronHorse55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Taenianotus
2006 WK 

I have the same issue - about a tablespoon of clear, greasy, liquid on my driveway drip pan in the morning. Mine is not near the radiator but at the back of the engine. My thinking was glycol / water mix - I recently flushed my radiator and refilled it as prescribed. However wouldn't the radiator fluid be green?
Taenianotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taenianotus View Post
I have the same issue - about a tablespoon of clear, greasy, liquid on my driveway drip pan in the morning. Mine is not near the radiator but at the back of the engine. My thinking was glycol / water mix - I recently flushed my radiator and refilled it as prescribed. However wouldn't the radiator fluid be green?
No it should not be green . WKs use HOAT coolant only and i know the mopar stuff is pink . The only other brand is Zerex G06 and i'm not sure of that color , but it's not green . Your fluid is probably just the A/C condensate at the back of the engine .
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
colinzj
2006 WK 

Zerex G05 is dyed yellow.

And agree that it's probably HVAC condensate for you, Taenianotus. When it drains, it runs down the frame, picking up all kinds of oils and glycols thrown up from the road. If the drip pan's not brand new, the water will also mix with any oils on its surface. Voila, oily clear spot at the rear of the engine.

IronHorse55, unscented and clear is throwing me. The only truly clear fluids on the vehicle are power steering fluid (which could be leaking there—the cooler's mounted in front of the radiator) and brake fluid, both of which have a very distinct hydraulic fluid smell. The dyes in the coolant are normally visible in even in small quantities, and it's got a pretty typical coolant smell.

Either way, as was said, you're definitely due for new coolant on an '06 if it hasn't been done; it's 5 years (i.e. 2010 on most '06es) or 100K miles. Won't hurt to swap it out or do the hoses if they look questionable. Worst case you have fresh coolant and still have a mystery fluid.
Unread 11-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
kevin776

My 2005 hemi was leaking from the lower radiator hose intermittently like that. It seems as though temperature change had an effect on it. Pulled the hose off cleaned the fitting and now it's been good for a few weeks.
kevin776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
Taenianotus
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
No it should not be green . WKs use HOAT coolant only and i know the mopar stuff is pink . The only other brand is Zerex G06 and i'm not sure of that color , but it's not green . Your fluid is probably just the A/C condensate at the back of the engine .
I live in Australia and engine coolant is usually green - I used the correct glycol one and it is a 50 / 50 mix as required. I expect as we don't have to worry about freezing conditions like the USA / Europe that is why ours maybe is a different colour.

Anyway thanks for the HVAC condensate answer - I just checked and I believe you are correct.
Taenianotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taenianotus View Post
I live in Australia and engine coolant is usually green - I used the correct glycol one and it is a 50 / 50 mix as required. I expect as we don't have to worry about freezing conditions like the USA / Europe that is why ours maybe is a different colour.

Anyway thanks for the HVAC condensate answer - I just checked and I believe you are correct.
Yes , i see the Valvoline zerex G05 and the Nulon are both HOAT and green in Australia . I will have to remember that .
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.