06 WK Alignment Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 06 WK Alignment Issue

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Hefe811

06 WK Alignment Issue

I've got a pair of tires on my WK that have warn significantly over a drive across the country with a bad alignment. I was told they were good to go by a dealer... They look horrible but I've been deployed and the wife just drove it without noticing.

Now I'm stuck with a $470 quote to replace the lower ball joints after they rotated the tires today and did a quick alignment. They said the alignment won't last long with the currently play in the LCA. Is that a lot to pay? Should I consider replacing the LCA assembly instead? I have access to a lift and don't mind doing this myself, but I'm looking to keep this under 5-600. We've contemplated getting rid of it and this seems like more motive for the argument of letting her go. Thoughts?

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4cc04527.jpg

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5ff02640.jpg

Hefe811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
JKM
2005 WK 

if you're going to keep it consider replacing the LCAs, with all new bushings and ball joint. Check out Rockauto.com, who probably have the best prices on them. you will need an alignment when done
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
gamma500
2005 WK 

Just make sure that the tierod ends aren't playing some roll in the camber wear problem. Are both fronts showing inner camber wear..? My experience has been that worn ball joints produce wear cupping on edges more than an even wear down area. If you have the time, undo the LCA ball joint nut, drop spindle, and see how sloppy it is. Did the alignment shop give you a printout showing the spec's they obtained ?
gamma500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
Hefe811

I wasn't given any specs, just a final bill that what was done. This town is small in Oklahoma and I was surprised I got what I got. They did say the factory limitation on the ball joints are .5mm and its way beyond that.

As for the wear, both front tires were wearing the same. I ordered the LCA's off of rockAuto and it came in below 400. The way I look at is if I can get brand new parts and do it myself I may be better off than just replacing the ball joints on an assembly that could need replacement down the road. I don't want to have to replace the bushings in a year or so. My next question is... if I lift this thing will I have to get a new LCA? I know usually you swap out the UCA's, right? I'm new to this so feel free to educate me if you have the time.
Hefe811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe811
I wasn't given any specs, just a final bill that what was done. This town is small in Oklahoma and I was surprised I got what I got. They did say the factory limitation on the ball joints are .5mm and its way beyond that.

As for the wear, both front tires were wearing the same. I ordered the LCA's off of rockAuto and it came in below 400. The way I look at is if I can get brand new parts and do it myself I may be better off than just replacing the ball joints on an assembly that could need replacement down the road. I don't want to have to replace the bushings in a year or so. My next question is... if I lift this thing will I have to get a new LCA? I know usually you swap out the UCA's, right? I'm new to this so feel free to educate me if you have the time.
You don't need either. People end up replacing the UCAs with an improved offroad cersion bc they were out faster when lifted. The most popular is made by JBA, jeepinbyal.
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.