06 Overland w/Hemi. Check engine and more... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 06 Overland w/Hemi. Check engine and more...

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 10-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
Notinkeys
2006 WK 

06 Overland w/Hemi. Check engine and more...

2006 Grand Cherokee Overland, 5.7 Hemi. Stalled at stoplight, check engine came on. Bad battery, was replaced. Drove home (6 miles) with no check engine light after the battery was replaced. Next day, shortly after leaving home, I felt a bump, the Jeep downshifted, the check engine light was back and also a flashing red lightning bolt. Non-skid turned off, would not turn back on, and the transmission stayed in the lower gear (not overdrive.)

Went to Autozone for free diags, and the codes were P0108, P1684 (makes sense since the battery was removed and replaced) and C121C. This drive (about 13 or so miles round trip) only had the check engine light on. Car drove and seemed normal (in other words, plenty of power, no rough idle, etc.)

I am NOT a mechanic at any level. I'm concerned about cost for having the work done. Any feedback that could help me? I have a second car so I am not transportation impaired, but my Jeep is my baby!!!

Notinkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
Notinkeys
2006 WK 

Drove a bit today- no symptom other than the check engine light.

C121C is something about torque request denied. What is that?
Unread 10-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
yzjwk
2005 WK 

The flashing red lightning bolt means there was something wrong with your electronic throttle control . the torque request denied was because you had your foot into it and the vehicle was saying no . It does torque and trans management like that when the problem warrants . Sounds like your trans was in limp mode too (stuck in 3rd?).the P0108 code is MAP sensor circuit voltage high , i don't think it would cause the level of problems you had but possible .I'm thinking there may have been more DTC's in the ABS or TCM but Autozone guys didn't look . Did you get them to erase the codes ?
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Notinkeys
2006 WK 

No, I did not have them do that. I can always have them look at those as well (ABS or TCM).

It seemed the transmission was stuck somewhere- I was driving 40 and running at 2500 RPM.
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Ya your transmission was in limp mode .depending on which limp mode ( full or partial ) determines what gear the trans will allow and what severity the torque management will intervene .
Personally , my routine is to write down all the codes and then erase them , and see if the problem happens again . More times then not for me it's just a glitch . otherwise If this or something else happens it will be impossible to tell which codes were related to what event .
2010 MK Patriot
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Notinkeys
2006 WK 

I'm wondering if that isn't the case here. over 78,000 miles with nothing, then this. Yet today, I drove to pick up something, and coming home, no lights on the dash. No check engine light or anything else.

Oy!
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
ryann04
2008 WK 

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=c121c

first link:

The C121C is "TORQUE REQUEST SIGNAL DENIED". This can be a problem in the PCM (on-board computer) or the Anti-Lock Brake Module. There is a quick test to determine which is at fault, unfortunately, it requires the use of a scan-tool.
Blue WK Club Member #42 // DIESEL FTW !!!! -Ryan
ryann04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notinkeys View Post
I'm wondering if that isn't the case here. over 78,000 miles with nothing, then this. Yet today, I drove to pick up something, and coming home, no lights on the dash. No check engine light or anything else.

Oy!
Most DTC's will generally reset after 3 good starts without another failure .
I would still have all the modules scanned and reset to eliminate the possibility of a pending code that has not shown up yet.
2010 MK Patriot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.