06 laredo door won't unlock from outside. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 06 laredo door won't unlock from outside.

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 07-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
SteelCity412
2006 WK 

06 laredo door won't unlock from outside.

Having problems with the key lock from the outside. The key fob stopped working which I plan on getting replaced within the next week.

So if I lock all my doors at night then the next morning I can't get in...I can lock it fine from the inside and outside and unlock it from the inside just when I use the key on the outside it doesn't wanna unlock. The key feels really loose when turning it to the left.

Took the door panel off, looked at everything inside and notice the pink clip is the part that controls the manual lock from the outside, the arm seems to be moving fine when locking it but doesn't much up much when trying to unlock it of course. I'm not sure what I'm looking for, like if somethings missing or worn out. I tried WD-40 and pulling up and down on it a bunch of times to maybe try and free something up but still nothing..

I go on vacation august 1st so I'm hoping it's something I can fix myself and possibly save some money.

I appreciate any help, thanks.

Last edited by SteelCity412; 07-12-2014 at 10:02 AM..
SteelCity412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
SteelCity412
2006 WK 

Anyone?
SteelCity412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

My key fob is terrible as well. Replaced the battery and that helped for a day or so.

As far as the key cylinder not working I would simply try to replace that.

I have had issues with sticking, but never a key feeling loose. Id imagine the lock cylinder is worn. With the door opened up turn the key in the lock and see if the mechanism moves at all.

WD is not a good long term lubricant BTW. Get something else.
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
YB Normyl
2008 WK 

So your lock cylinder turns with the key and the rod connected to the lock cyl by the clip moves up and down?
Follow the rod down to where the lower end is clipped into the door latch unit and move that clip up and down into the lock position and unlock.
Does it unlock when you do it manually? Does your lock knob move up and down freely using your fingers and when you unlock the door using the switch? Now when you unlock the door using the inside switch, reach back and see if the lock knob can still be pulled higher using your fingers.
YB Normyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YB Normyl View Post
So your lock cylinder turns with the key and the rod connected to the lock cyl by the clip moves up and down?
Follow the rod down to where the lower end is clipped into the door latch unit and move that clip up and down into the lock position and unlock.
Does it unlock when you do it manually? Does your lock knob move up and down freely using your fingers and when you unlock the door using the switch? Now when you unlock the door using the inside switch, reach back and see if the lock knob can still be pulled higher using your fingers.
Good idea

Any luck OP?
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.