06 Jeep Grand Cherokee Engine Replacement ? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-19-2017, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
pete2833

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee Engine Replacement ?

I just picked up a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.7 4x4 for my son who is turning 16. It needs an engine so we are going to pull it and replace it. Great project for the 2 of us and he will learn some valuable skills. Question is, I know I need an 05 and newer engine but will other models work? Will 3.7's out of Libertys, Commanders, Dakotas etc work ? Up to what year also ? Any help would be great.

Pete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-19-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
pete2833

Will an 06 3.7 out of a Jeep Liberty work ?
post #3 of 9 Old 03-19-2017, 05:13 PM
Nejeep

Yes I believe a 3.7 Liberty engine will "work" but a number of parts will need to be swapped over from your WK engine (oil pan, mounts, etc). Here is a link to an older discussion on a 3.7 engine swap.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/a...-time-3875833/

06 Laredo - 4x4 V6 - Stone White - Custom LED Cargo Area Lights, Lighted Visors Added - now at 49k miles

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives

post #4 of 9 Old 03-19-2017, 05:40 PM
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Any 3.7 block from '05 and later will work with your GC - the cam sprocket timing ring and the crankshaft reluctor ring (also a timing ring) will be the correct ones for use with your computer.

As mentioned by Nejeep the external components are what you'll need to swap over if the engine didn't come from a GC from the same year. So if you grab an engine from a Dakota for instance, look closely at the exhaust and intake manifolds, oil pan, and oil filter drain trough to see if they're different from your GC. The A/C, alternator, power steering pump and serpentine belt tensioner will just swap over from your GC engine to the replacement.

Kudos for taking on this project with your son. The project is not complicated but requires attention to detail so make sure everything is reassembled property. Attention to detail and focus are good things to teach 16 year olds - LOL!

I swapped a 2009 3.7 from a Dodge Dakota into my '03 Liberty and had to change out the things I listed above - plus break down the '09 engine and put in the correct cam sprocket and reluctor ring so they matched my computer. Even with that I did the project in my two car garage over 4 days while doing my sales calls and working evenings. Couple of buddies and my dad helped out - still have fond memories of the project and the Liberty is still going strong after 106,000 miles on the replacement engine.

Bob

2003 Renegade, Black
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, ARB Bull Bar, Smittybilt XRC 9500lb Winch, 4X Guard Trans skid, Skid Row Engine skid, Factory T-case & Tank skids, Custom BoulderBars, JBA Front Coilovers, OME 948 rear springs, Bilstein rear shocks, JBA A-Arms, Moabs with Goodyear Duratracs 265/70-16
post #5 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
pete2833

Thanks for the advice. I have pulled engines and put them in old muscle cars when I was in high school. No electronics then !!! I agree, I think my son will learn some valuable lessons working on it with me. Most 16 year olds now a days don't even know how to change a tire, at least where I live.
I found several Jeep Liberty Engines that are a little cheaper than the Grand Cherokee engines. Will I have to change the Intake and Throttle Body ?

Pete
post #6 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 06:55 AM
Nejeep

Your 06 WK throttle body (and computer) is not drive by wire, so if your replacement engine is drive by wire you will have to change the throttle body at least.
I expect you will need to closely inspect the intakes to see if your donor will work or need to be changed to the 06 WK intake. The 06 WK does not use an EGR valve but it can be removed and blocked off if thats the only difference.

06 Laredo - 4x4 V6 - Stone White - Custom LED Cargo Area Lights, Lighted Visors Added - now at 49k miles

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
post #7 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
pete2833

Ok. I found a 06 3.7 from a Jeep Grand Cherokee so I should be good to go.

Thanks

Pete
post #8 of 9 Old 03-21-2017, 05:08 AM
Nejeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2833 View Post
Ok. I found a 06 3.7 from a Jeep Grand Cherokee so I should be good to go.
Yes, finding a matching WK 3.7 engine should greatly simplify the swap. Any history on the "new" engine?

Keep us posted on the progress of the swap and the "training program".

post #9 of 9 Old 03-21-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
pete2833

My son and I worked on it some today after he got home from school. Nice thing is we have plenty of time and can take our time. We drained the antifreeze and not much came out. Couldn't get the petcock open either. Next drained the oil and found the missing antifreeze. It was like a river coming out of the crankcase. So my theory is the head gasket was blown and the previous owner ran it and smoked the main bearing. Got all the fluids out and got the engine to spin by hand. Must have been hydro locked. We got the fan and shroud out. The A/C compressor moved out of the way along with the Power Steering pump. Removed the belt, the intake tubing, the throttle body, the strut brace and bunch of plugs. We labeled all plugs and bolts. everything is organized. Next will be the starter, intake, bell housing bolts, torque converter disconnect, exhaust pipes, and motor mounts. The hood also. Sure there as some little things I'm missing. More to come.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2460.jpg   IMG_2464.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.