'06 Grand Cherokee V8 rough idle and erratic RPMs - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > '06 Grand Cherokee V8 rough idle and erratic RPMs

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy Aluminum Bumpers

Unread 11-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #16
DVB
2006 WK 

My IAC was dirty and was a pain to get off/on. I'm replacing it this weekend.

Unread 11-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #17
Zelzuk53
2006 WK 

Can someone help me figure out where the pcv valve is?
Zelzuk53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #18
98jgc
2005 WK 

below oil filler cap
98jgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #19
DVB
2006 WK 

It may be in front, driver side fire wall. That's where mine is. You'll see some kind of blue clip.
Unread 11-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #20
DVB
2006 WK 

Here we go.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/p...-help-1275204/
Unread 11-20-2013, 05:25 AM   #21
DVB
2006 WK 

Replaced the IAC/tps not too long ago, just noticed this morning the rpms were dipping a little lower than before (400). I noticed when I turn the heat on/off the idle would change. How does the heat affect the idle?
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #22
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelzuk53 View Post
I love my V8 to death, but it started having some idle issues and general loss of power around 4 months ago.

It all started the day after I replaced my AC blower motor and resistor. The next day I was sitting in terrible DC traffic, probably idling for about 3-4 minutes and when I went to press on the gas I realized that I had completely lost power. It wasn't idling rough or anything--it just went quiet. The radio never stopped playing, so it can't be a battery issue. This happened again the next day after idling for about 3-4 minutes. For the next two weeks it was sluggish and just felt like I was basically coasting everywhere.

I took it to my mechanic, but they couldn't recreate the problem. No codes, no nothing. Auto zone tested the battery and the alternator and everything checked out fine. I kept stressing that my RPMs were outrageously low for what I was used to. As soon as they dropped below 500 it threatened to stall out.

I ended up taking matters into my own hands and I replaced the spark plugs (some of the old ones had melted down), the air filter, gas cap, dumped a can of seafoam cleaner in the gas tank and I would have replaced the fuel filter but it isn't accessible. The dealership also reflashed my PCM. I could definitely tell a difference power-wise after doing all of these things but I was still idling at around 500--sometimes 600 RPMs on a GOOD day.

The jeep seemed to pep back up until a couple weeks ago. I was starting to idle rough, shifting seemed a little off, and it was driving kind of rough even on the highway. Now when I idle the RPMs wiggle up and down between 600 and 300. I started shifting it into neutral to raise the RPMs but they dance there too. Now when I'm in park they'll drop down to 300-400 and then rev up sometimes to 2,500 over and over again.

In attempts to fix it I replaced the Idle Air Control Valve (the old one was completely black) and the throttle position sensor. I've driven it about 150 miles since and it's shifting better overall but the problem still persists. I've been warned by multiple people about cleaning the throttle body out so I'm a little hesitant but at this point I'm getting kind of desperate.

What does everyone suggest I do next? I was planning on going ahead and replacing the PCV valve and at some point I'll probably replace the fuel pump assembly.
Sounds like an EGR problem to me . very common issue with the earlier WK's and causes the symptoms you describe .
Generally your dash light going dim or flickereing is a sign of the lighting/turn signal stalk going bad , or you inadvertently turned the dimmer knob down on the stalk. If it were your alternator , you would see your headlights going dim .
WK's are also very sensitive to poor batteries . Many of them pass the so called "auto zone" test .
also , if it was driven long enough to melt the plugs down then it's probably time for some new wires and possibly some coils .
Have you checked for TSB's like this one http://wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_1800909a.pdf

Good luck
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #23
DVB
2006 WK 

Yeah, I had my dash lights flicker for about 5 seconds a couple weeks ago. I didn't know what to think of it. This morning when I had that issue with my heat on and Idle bouncing, I thought I seen my headlights briefly go dim too.
Unread 11-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #24
Zelzuk53
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post

Sounds like an EGR problem to me . very common issue with the earlier WK's and causes the symptoms you describe .
Generally your dash light going dim or flickereing is a sign of the lighting/turn signal stalk going bad , or you inadvertently turned the dimmer knob down on the stalk. If it were your alternator , you would see your headlights going dim .
WK's are also very sensitive to poor batteries . Many of them pass the so called "auto zone" test .
also , if it was driven long enough to melt the plugs down then it's probably time for some new wires and possibly some coils .
Have you checked for TSB's like this one http://wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_1800909a.pdf

Good luck
The idle issue has definitely improved. It's idling very smoothly now and I never feel like it's going to die when I'm stopped, but I agree that it would be beneficial either way to replace the EGR valve.

As far as plug wires and coils go, they're on my list. I must have had a brain fart, because I didn't even think to replace those and I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to maintenance that I do on my own.

The dimmer had been turned all the way down somehow so that one was just me being paranoid. I have a feeling that the battery is going to need to be replaced in the near future. The last time I charged it myself it took over two hours to reach a full charge and I do see some battery acid down in there.

My computer was flashed due to the recent recall that was causing wks to switch into neutral and I think it did more harm than good because I'm not getting the smooth shifting that I was before, especially in lower gears. I also get the "Service 4WD" message on occasion, but only sporadically and I can never seem to pull the code using the turn your key three times trick. I want to take it back to the dealer, but I'm afraid they'll tell me too much time has passed. I generally don't trust them anymore anyways...

Have you had any experience fixing or maintaining the drive shaft/u joints/cv joints--any of that? I'm getting a terrible vibration in my steering wheel, floorboard and pedals when I hit 45. It isn't necessarily like the unbalanced wheel/knocked off alignment vibration or shake that I've experienced in the past. The jeep has become sensitive to any and all road grooves or patterns. I feel EVERYTHING and it makes for a very nervewracking driving experience. I get this humming sound coming from the front, but I can't pinpoint exactly where.

I have to replace the fan clutch and water pump because of a coolant leak. The fan clutch has started to cause a lot of vibration throughout the car because I'm assuming it's on its way to becoming warped. Could those contribute to any of my issues?
Unread 11-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #25
Zelzuk53
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVB View Post
Yeah, I had my dash lights flicker for about 5 seconds a couple weeks ago. I didn't know what to think of it. This morning when I had that issue with my heat on and Idle bouncing, I thought I seen my headlights briefly go dim too.
My dash lights would flicker about a year ago. The starter ignition switch was replaced and I haven't had an issue since.

Did you have the a/c on? It's a common issue with jeeps for the a/c to cause such fluctuations, but it shouldn't happen if you just have outside air coming in or the heat on.
Unread 11-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #26
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
The idle issue has definitely improved. It's idling very smoothly now and I never feel like it's going to die when I'm stopped, but I agree that it would be beneficial either way to replace the EGR valve.

As far as plug wires and coils go, they're on my list. I must have had a brain fart, because I didn't even think to replace those and I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to maintenance that I do on my own.

The dimmer had been turned all the way down somehow so that one was just me being paranoid. I have a feeling that the battery is going to need to be replaced in the near future. The last time I charged it myself it took over two hours to reach a full charge and I do see some battery acid down in there.

My computer was flashed due to the recent recall that was causing wks to switch into neutral and I think it did more harm than good because I'm not getting the smooth shifting that I was before, especially in lower gears. I also get the "Service 4WD" message on occasion, but only sporadically and I can never seem to pull the code using the turn your key three times trick. I want to take it back to the dealer, but I'm afraid they'll tell me too much time has passed. I generally don't trust them anymore anyways...

Have you had any experience fixing or maintaining the drive shaft/u joints/cv joints--any of that? I'm getting a terrible vibration in my steering wheel, floorboard and pedals when I hit 45. It isn't necessarily like the unbalanced wheel/knocked off alignment vibration or shake that I've experienced in the past. The jeep has become sensitive to any and all road grooves or patterns. I feel EVERYTHING and it makes for a very nervewracking driving experience. I get this humming sound coming from the front, but I can't pinpoint exactly where.

I have to replace the fan clutch and water pump because of a coolant leak. The fan clutch has started to cause a lot of vibration throughout the car because I'm assuming it's on its way to becoming warped. Could those contribute to any of my issues?
the key dance generally won't work for the service 4wd because those codes come from a module other then the PCM ( FCM,ABS,TCM etc ) so you'll need a reader capable of reading those . there's a huge thread on here about people with problems after the recall , you might want to skim through it , I think you'll be taking it back to the dealer .
To check your u-joint's , c.v's you need to slide under and push and pull up\down and side to side on both driveshafts at both ends and look for any movement generally you should have no movement . if you pull sharply and hear a little clunk , then the joint is def bad . not shure if any of them are replaceable or serviceable . i didn't think so .
I don't think a clutch fan will cause any other problems besides taking out your water pump , but i guess it could cause one of your knock sensors to retard the enging if it was bad enough .
good luck
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #27
DVB
2006 WK 

Quote:
My dash lights would flicker about a year ago. The starter ignition switch was replaced and I haven't had an issue since.

Did you have the a/c on? It's a common issue with jeeps for the a/c to cause such fluctuations, but it shouldn't happen if you just have outside air coming in or the heat on.
No, just the Heat.
Unread 11-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #28
DVB
2006 WK 

I replaced my IAC, TPS, I noticed when I'm going around 40, and let off the gas it seems to stay there for a while before the speed goes down. There are other times when I let off the gas and once it gets down to 1000rpms it'll jolt up to 1500 then quickly back down.
Unread 11-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #29
DVB
2006 WK 

I stalled at a red light this morning. I'll be looking into an EGR and PCV this weekend.
Unread 11-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #30
Zelzuk53
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVB View Post
I stalled at a red light this morning. I'll be looking into an EGR and PCV this weekend.
Were you by any chance watching your RPMs when it happened? What did they get down to?

When you take it out today let it warm up for a few minutes and then drive with the air completely turned off and on a full tank of gas. Then let me know how it drives. Are you getting any surges in low gears?

Tags
loss of power , rough idle , rpms , stalling at stop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.