06 Grand Cherokee Laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 06 Grand Cherokee Laredo

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
gdubya

06 Grand Cherokee Laredo

Just curious to see if anyone else with an 06 GC Laredo hears a clunk sound when you hit around 10-15 mph? I took mine in to the dealership and they said it was the anti-lock breaks doing a self test. This sound happens every time I start the jeep and hit about 12 mph. It only does it once and then not again until I start it up the next time. They told me the 06 models do this. Is this true? Why would they make them with a sound that makes me think something is wrong with the vehicle? The service tech also told me that Jeep may do something to correct this in the near future?

Has anyone else noticed this sound?

gdubya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
gornoman
2006 WK 

No noises in my '06 GC Laredo.
Blue WK Club Member #15
My other passion - WWW.buggiesgonewild.com
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
cherokeeBrit

No such noises from mine? never heard of any car or truck performing a brake test whilst moving??? normally it would perform a system check of sensors etc and highlight any faults via warning light.
cherokeeBrit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mine doesn't do it. But I do know what you're talking about because my 96 VW Jetta GLX used to do a similar thing, or at least that's what the dealer told me on that vehicle. Except it wasn't a clunk noise on the VW...more of a quick plunger-sucking sound that's hard to describe. It would do it once after starting up then not do it again until I had shut the vehicle off and restarted.

And it could be related to one of a couple other things. At around 11-12 mph if you're coasting or at VERY light throttle, the transmission will shift from 1st to 2nd gear, and if your slowing down and you cross that speed, your transmission will shift from 2nd to 1st. Since you describe the noise as a clunk, I'd say it has more to do with the transmission shifting gears than with the ABS...either the transmission or something else in the driveline moving around a bit as the transmission changes gears.

Also at around 15 mph, your power door locks will automatically lock...I think that's the default setting but it can be programmed to not do it.

Easy way to try to isolate the noise would be to shut it off, restart, then hit the gas hard so the transmission shifts later...if you still hear the noise at the same speed, then it's not transmission or driveline related. But if you were to back off the throttle again before the shift to 2nd and you heard the noise during the shift, then that points to something in the driveline shifting around a bit in response to the shift.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
jbones1

i can also report no problematic sounds...yet
jbones1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2007, 09:46 PM   #6
WKJeepGuy24

No noises in my 2006 GC Laredo.

2006 KJ
WKJeepGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 05:30 AM   #7
goose1

i have this noise in my 06 WK. you're right...it happens around 12 mph and only once. i assumed it had to do with speed sensitive door locks. mine only does this upon start up and never after. so it didn't really make that big of a difference to me. plus, i had never had auto door locks that were speed sensitive so i just assume this was normal.

i have also read on here somewhere that it had to do with the driveline removing the extra slack. (i know that is not really what i read, i just can't find the thread nor remember the exact wording of how it was explained.) i think this is common in the WJ as well.

2008 Jeep Patriot Sporkt (MK) 26E
2.4L, CVVTII, 2WD, Black Exterior, Dark Gray Interior
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
JPCCDD

06 Laredo 4.7. No noises here.
2006 Silver Grand Cherokee Laredo AWD. Have most of the stock goodies. MODS: P255/65R17 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor, Hitch, 1600 watt inverter, 6-disc in dash MP3 player, rescue equipment, k&N intake, jet chip stage 2, electric cut-out . On list: custom bumper protection, skid plates, and roof rack.
JPCCDD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 07:17 PM   #9
gornoman
2006 WK 

It could be the ABS system cycling. My Honda Odyssey does it each time I start out from a fresh start. I questioned a tech and he advised me the 1/2 second hum of the ABS pumps was proof that the system was "at pressure" and enabled. The Ody does it at about 3 mph however.

I have no idea if Jeeps are similarly configured.
Blue WK Club Member #15
My other passion - WWW.buggiesgonewild.com
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.