06 GC Hemi engine ticking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 06 GC Hemi engine ticking

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-11-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
vtbert3
2006 WK 

06 GC Hemi engine ticking

I have a 06 GC Limited with the 5.7. It has 24k miles on it and it has a tick that sounds like it could be a lifter. Is this a common problem in the Hemi's with the MDS collapsing lifters? It seems to be at its worst in 2nd, 3rd at about half throttle acceleration. Any help?

vtbert3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2007, 02:49 AM   #2
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

When MDS is operating, that's exactly the sound you'll hear...sounds like a sticky lifter and like the engine isn't running on all 8 cylinders. And with the speeds you'd be travelling in 2nd and 3rd gear at light enough throttle for MDS to operate, it's pretty easy to hear the MDS operate...not enough wind noise & road noise at those speeds to drown out the MDS sound.

You don't mention if you just got the vehicle and you're just trying to confirm the sound or if you've had the vehicle for a while and the sound is new. My initial take is that it's totally normal, unless you've had the vehicle for quite a while and are just now hearing the noise.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2007, 06:13 AM   #3
vtbert3
2006 WK 

Thanks for the reply. I did leave out that if I do floor it it gets quieter but it is still there, just faint. So it makes me think that maybe there is a problem with a lifter or lifters not fully expanding when MDS is off. I have seen that many hemi charger owners have this ticking as well, so I guess it makes sense that I have it too. It just sounds like crap when I am putting around town, almost exactly like an exhaust leak. Oh well, I don't know if it is really worth a tear down of the engine.
Unread 03-12-2007, 06:16 PM   #4
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Unless it's really bad, I wouldn't worry too much about it. A side effect of the collapsible lifters is that they are noiser than regular hydraulic lifters, even when MDS isn't operating. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a problem...nothing's wrong with them. It's just the way they are.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
wccf91

I hear the same thing .. What it sounds like to me is a exhaust leak .. I hear it worse when next to a wall or on take off . But today I decided to turn off the traction control .. And the noise almost went completly away .
wccf91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2007, 02:26 PM   #6
wyocommander
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I had a Hemi w/o MDS, the highly acclaimed 4.7 toyota V8, and now a 4.7 XK...they all had/have a little ticking sound occasionally. Sometimes at idle, sometimes under light acceleration, etc. Never had a real problem with them, all ran great and I was told this was 'normal' by the techs.
wyocommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 07:57 AM   #7
vtbert3
2006 WK 

Ok, results are in and Chrysler SUCKS!!!! Took the GC Hemi to the dealer explained the problem (eg. it's not the Hemi idle tick, it happens when under load and it's not normal for an engine to make this noise if its parts are in tolerance.) So, the tech drives it, hears the noise when under load and they actually have the nerve to tell me "it's normal for that engine."??? So, FYI, the dealer seems to think it is ok for a hemi to sound like a diesel when accelerating. Ridiculous!!!!!!
Unread 04-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #8
jeep_on

From what a friend of mine says his HEMI (2005 Dodge RAM) had a tick in it. Than he did an engine flush and switched over to fully synthetic 5w20. Hes running AMSOil (so am I, great stuff), but Iím sure some thing else like Mobile 1 or Royal Purple will work.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
garsarno

No ticks on our '07 Hemi but I changed oil to Mobil One at 3,200 miles (has 5,500 miles now).
garsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #10
vtbert3
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_on
From what a friend of mine says his HEMI (2005 Dodge RAM) had a tick in it. Than he did an engine flush and switched over to fully synthetic 5w20. Hes running AMSOil (so am I, great stuff), but I’m sure some thing else like Mobile 1 or Royal Purple will work.
Yeah, i am using mobil 1 5w20 extended performance, made no difference in ticking.
Unread 04-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #11
jeep_on

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbert3
Yeah, i am using mobil 1 5w20 extended performance, made no difference in ticking.
Did you figuar it out yet? I hav't really done much to a HEMI. The biggest thing I've done to one was help change 16 effing spark plugs. Maybe that could be your problem? Theres only so many thin it could be.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?

Last edited by jeep_on; 04-11-2007 at 07:57 AM..
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2007, 06:37 AM   #12
anerbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbert3
Ok, results are in and Chrysler SUCKS!!!! Took the GC Hemi to the dealer explained the problem (eg. it's not the Hemi idle tick, it happens when under load and it's not normal for an engine to make this noise if its parts are in tolerance.) So, the tech drives it, hears the noise when under load and they actually have the nerve to tell me "it's normal for that engine."??? So, FYI, the dealer seems to think it is ok for a hemi to sound like a diesel when accelerating. Ridiculous!!!!!!
you should have pulled the tech in another Hemi GC at the dealership, and drove that around. if there's an obvious difference, then you may have a problem.

the annoyance of ticking is quite subjective. Although everyone will agree there is a ticking noise (I have it too), tolerable ticking is up to the individual. good luck.
Unread 04-11-2007, 09:43 AM   #13
vtbert3
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anerbe
you should have pulled the tech in another Hemi GC at the dealership, and drove that around. if there's an obvious difference, then you may have a problem.

the annoyance of ticking is quite subjective. Although everyone will agree there is a ticking noise (I have it too), tolerable ticking is up to the individual. good luck.
I have driven other Hemi vehicles and they do not make the noise that mine does, nor has any other vehicle I have driven. I am ok with a little tick when idling, however, that is not the case here. It sounds very similar to a spark knock or an exhaust leak that does not get louder, however, it is not a spark knock or an exhaust leak. The dealership knows there is something wrong. They said that had a jeep in before with this "problem" and they were not sure what it was so they replaced the exhaust manifolds and it did not fix the problem so that was the end of their investigation because they def did not want to go through the engine when they would receive no income for doing so. My bets are placed on either a faulty MDS lifter or exhaust valve guides that are slightly too large. I cannot say whether the cause of this noise will eventually kill the engine, however, it is not a "normal" engine noise and it is quite annoying.
Unread 04-12-2007, 12:04 PM   #14
anerbe

try another dealership - perhaps they didn't want to pay, since they already spent money on trying to fix a problem.
Unread 04-15-2007, 07:56 PM   #15
HurriJeff
2005 WK 

Mine ticks like crazy at idle. I am a professional engine mechanic so I am extra sensative to noises and things. I WILL ONLY use Mobil 1 fully synthetic 5W20 im my hemi. Anyway, the ticking probably wouldnt bother most people but I hear it and am learning to ignore it. I know there are some intricate parts in there so I just chalk it up to a new sound coming from new parts. Mine is pretty quiet once I get rolling, even beside curbs or walls. I reciently had what I think was a catalytic converter problem that made a lot of noise while running. Did that for 4 days and on the 5th when I was to take it to the dealer... it quit and has not made a peep again. I'd suggest you go to local auto parts store and buy a mechanics stethascope and listen around.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.