06 Commander Hemi tick....or is it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 06 Commander Hemi tick....or is it?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 08-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
jaysix
2006 XK Commander 

06 Commander Hemi tick....or is it?

So my 2006 hemi Commander with 76000 miles has a very loud tick when driving. You can't really hear it at a stop but when you give it gas it is very prominent and it doesn't go away. I read about the Hemi tick but this tick just doesn't seem right. I had it back to the dealership thinking it was an exhaust leak but they said that it wasn't and that its a normal sound. Any other ideas of what could be causing this and possible fixes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jason

jaysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
LiftedWK

Lifter maybe?
LiftedWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

If your not using 89 octane try it. Also are you using the correct oil.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
jaysix
2006 XK Commander 

Im actually running 92 octane. As far as the oil, im not sure seeing that Ive only had it for about 3 weeks and the dealership changed it. Im going to go synthetic with it soon.
Unread 08-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysix View Post
So my 2006 hemi Commander with 76000 miles has a very loud tick when driving. You can't really hear it at a stop but when you give it gas it is very prominent and it doesn't go away. I read about the Hemi tick but this tick just doesn't seem right. I had it back to the dealership thinking it was an exhaust leak but they said that it wasn't and that its a normal sound. Any other ideas of what could be causing this and possible fixes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jason
Lifters can be tricky to diagnose. They are even a bigger PITA to access on the 5.7L HEMI....lots of disassembly.
Some forum members recommend some Seafoam in the oil just before an oil change. It is purported to clean out the crud. dmsfun says it cleared up his hemi tick; I am not a fan of Seafoam so I cannot speak from experience.

Recommend you also use an old mechanic's trick (...back in the day...):
Use a long screwdriver to listen to each fuel injector with the engine running. Put the metal end on the injector body and the handle pressed to your ear. See if one or more of the injectors is emitting excessive noise (compared to the others). This is a purely subjective evaliuation.
If you hear something different, add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and re-check after 1-2 tanks of gas.

A mechanic's stethoscope will also give you the same info. The EGR valve is not open at idle (or shouldn't be) but you can listen to it. A reader is better for that (ie, checking EGR position and error).

Please be careful about using these tools around a running engine.

CAUTION: This advice may be worth what you paid to get it.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
johngreen1234
2010 WK 

I'm a big fan of Seafoam but I'm no fan of pouring naptha--or anything other than oil--into my oil.

Try a can of Seafoam in your full tank (according to directions) and drive for a tank. Then change your oil.

When I bought my WK Hemi used, I read on this forum about the tick and said "I've got the Hemi Tick!" One Seafoam (gas) treatment and I couldn't find the tick anymore.
johngreen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Owners manual advises against using anything above 89 octane
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngreen1234 View Post
I'm a big fan of Seafoam but I'm no fan of pouring naptha--or anything other than oil--into my oil.

Try a can of Seafoam in your full tank (according to directions) and drive for a tank. Then change your oil.

When I bought my WK Hemi used, I read on this forum about the tick and said "I've got the Hemi Tick!" One Seafoam (gas) treatment and I couldn't find the tick anymore.
Sounds like it was a dirty fuel injector.
The dealers have a professional-strength system where they hook up a pressurized cleaner to the fuel rail and run it though. Supposedly, it works better than the stuff consumers can purchase in the stores.
All of my fuel injectors were changed about 60K miles under warranty. No significant change in engine noise. They were changed because they were failing and I got cylinder misfire codes. Several injectors were moved and the codes followed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
Owners manual advises against using anything above 89 octane
Dealer's Service Manager confirmed that to me. I got a load of sub-standard 89 octane....engine was running like *****. I filled up with 1/2 tank of 93 octane and it smoothed out.
Shouldn't run a constant diet of it though: The PCM sets spark advance anyway. My spark advance runs an average of 5 degress higher on 89 octane than it does on 87 octane. Engine runs acceptably on 87, but better on 89.

Probably a better thing to do is use only gasoline without any ethanol added. In the Winter, once in a while to scavenge water out of the gas tank (or just a can of "dry gas") is OK.
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Unread 08-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
jaysix
2006 XK Commander 

This thing is really pissing me off now. I was getting 15-16mpg in town yesterday with a fresh fillup. Drove it today and its down in the 12's. 54 miles and almost a quarter tank of gas. There is something definitely wrong with it.
Unread 08-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
This thing is really pissing me off now. I was getting 15-16mpg in town yesterday with a fresh fillup. Drove it today and its down in the 12's. 54 miles and almost a quarter tank of gas. There is something definitely wrong with it.
Please try this recommendation: Go to Advance Auto (or equivalent) and borrow their OBD-II code reader. Look for a set -or- pending DTC. Use the tool to read it and then write it down (code, pending or set, mileage, date). In my area, Auto Zone's reader will read the codes but not reset them. Advance Auto's reader will read and reset them. The "key dance" is convenient but not complete. Even the readers above only give the OBD-II P-codes. IIRC, there are 3-4 levels of codes. StarScan (i.e., the dealer's MOPAR system) will read them all.

When I had recurrent exhaust leaks, it would generate a pending DTC for front O2 sensor slow response. As a direct result, the MDS system would not activate as long as the DTC was pending. My mpg's suffered accordingly. Luckily, I can reset the top-level DTC's with my DashDAQ XL after I get poor engine performance on its gauge function.
At least I had some objective evidence of what was happening and enabled me to prove the issues for warranty coverage. You can be a positive factor in diagnosis and resolution.

Please keep us informed so we all learn. Thanks.
Unread 08-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
jaysix
2006 XK Commander 

I have a diablosport tuner that reads codes..would that work or does it need to be the ones that you mentioned?
Unread 08-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
I have a diablosport tuner that reads codes..would that work or does it need to be the ones that you mentioned?
I assume your DiabloSport reads OBD-II codes, so that will be acceptable for the standard DTC's. That's what the ones at Advance Auto and Auto Zone read. My DashDAQ XL reads the same level. You'd need a professional grade code reader (like StarScan for instance) to get down to the lower level DTC's.

The lower level ones might be Chrysler-specific anyway. Many of the gauge readings on the DashDAQ XL come from Chrysler-specific signals.
Unread 10-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

Any updates? Just bought my 08 limited with a Hemi and 110k and it has what sounds like an exhaust leak. Could be Hemi tick but doesn't sound like it and it seems to lessen after it warms up which can be a sign of an exhaust leak... Seems similar to your issues... I can gain access to a code reader if needed...
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #14
jaysix
2006 XK Commander 

Still tickin away. Ive learned to live with it since it isnt hurting anything.
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #15
msfulcher77
2008 XK Commander 

Thanks for the response. I can hear the Hemi tick at idle and it's pretty subdued and I definitely can't hear it when the windows are up. I'm hearing something different. I thought it was an exhaust leak, but now I'm not sure. I may start another thread...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.