JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   06 Cherokee, HEMI, Rear end noise? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/06-cherokee-hemi-rear-end-noise-1198711/)

midgetracer56 04-19-2011 08:47 PM

06 Cherokee, HEMI, Rear end noise?

I have a 06 Grand Cherokee Limited, HEMI, QDII. I am experiencing a whine coming from the rear when I am on the accelerator. Noise is only present when it is under a load, let off the gas and coast the noise goes away. Shop I took it to started with the pinion bearings in the rear diff., no change. Did find some "tight" spots in the u-joints on rear shaft, sent the shaft to the driveline shop and had shaft balanced and it checked ok. Removed the complete rearend and sent it to driveline shop and had everything gone thru, ring and pinion mesh pattern and backlash and so forth, shop said everything fine. Replaced front driveshaft, Have put close to 5k miles since all that work and problem still there. Called driveline shop again and they stated another Cherokee had come in with the same symptoms. They balanced the rear shaft on that one and said it checked fine also, but admitted that there machine does not check balance while the shaft is under a "load". My thinking is that since the noise is only produced while under a "load" that the problem is with the rear drive shaft. I have done a lot of research on the web and this seems to be a common problem, but I have not yet found where someone has found a cause for or a solution to this problem. Can someone please point me in the right direction. Thank you.

meep 04-20-2011 07:35 AM

gears whine. an out-of-balance shaft shakes. different symptoms. assume you are out of warranty? you've put a lot of $ into this problem already.

If the mesh pattern is fine on the R&P then there's not too much to worry with... that's where whine comes from. I'd lift the rear, grip the input shaft and try to wiggle it for play. if it's out of mess or tensioned wrong or the bearings are going, you should feel it. if it doesn't budge and is rock solid, I'd just drive it. make sure you have the 140 weight lube in there, a good synthetic-- may mask the noise some.

I just bought some amsoil for my 2wd 3.7 last week and the shop told me they've had problems with the axles in the WK and no longer works on them. They will buy Jasper remans but find that if a jeep rear end comes in broken, and they rebuild it, it usually returns later with problems. This is a highly-regarded shop-- I tend to trust their advice, especially since it's so consistent among their different staff.

M

meep 04-20-2011 07:36 AM

hey are you certain it's not the t-case?? Chain-drive EATS fluid. Pour something good in there....

M

ChuckDodge 08-15-2013 08:21 PM

Same Whine had it fixed

ive got a 06 4.7 4x4. the dealer told me the whine I was hearing was the pinion bearing, so I had the guts of the thing yanked out and replaced, fixed it for a few months. I actually have the pinion bearing and the thing had pits out of it. however the people who did it didn't also put the wheel and axle bearings in, therefore it is whining again. you can order a rear end for between 700 and 1600 depending on what you have from auto parts fair.

Xmind 08-28-2013 10:59 AM

Interesting. I have noticed a distinct whine from the rear (well possibly transfer case area) under acceleration. Most noticeable around 35-50 MPH, but then road noise drowns it out. I don't know when this noise really started, but I don't recall hearing it when I first got the Jeep 4 months ago. I did change all driveline fluids (front/rear diffs and transfer case). The rear end fluid looked very clean and definitely no particles that I could see. I put in the right weight oil Lucas oil + Redline friction modifier for the diffs, and 2 quarts of the Mopar spec'd fluid for the transfer case.

Jeep seems to drive fine, no binding, no "dragging" feeling, just an almost annoying whine under acceleration...even light acceleration. I guess I can say I only noted the whine about 1500 miles ago....but only noted because a passenger mentioned how loud it was for them in the back.

I checked the rear end fluid and it is still topped up to the fill plug.

Is there anything else I can before replacing parts or taking it to a dealership?

2007jeepwk 03-25-2014 11:35 PM

Rear end noise

I drive a 2007 5.7 hemi Cherokee and have had the same problem. The noise is almost deafening and I have been advised to use ear plugs while driving. I had the transfer case, transmission, and differential fluids all check and they were all fine. I finally took it in to the Mazda dealer where I bought the vehicle and the head mechanic was sure it was either a pinion or wheel bearing. He told me that the rear end was sure to fall out soon. I have driven the vehicle around 5,000 miles since the problem started.

Anyone had the problem fixed completely?

Ariont 03-26-2014 07:24 AM

I just hard mine's rear end rebuilt to the tune of $2000 at the dealer. Thankfully it was 300 miles before my extended warranty expired. Had a really loud whine at the rear end under almost all driving conditions. They replaced the entire differential and associated parts. Mileage was 129,000.

ISUzj 03-26-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

I have a 06 Grand Cherokee Limited, HEMI, QDII. I am experiencing a whine coming
from the rear when I am on the accelerator. Noise is only present when it is
under a load, let off the gas and coast the noise goes away. Shop I took it to
started with the pinion bearings in the rear diff., no change. Did find some
"tight" spots in the u-joints on rear shaft, sent the shaft to the driveline
shop and had shaft balanced and it checked ok. Removed the complete rearend and
sent it to driveline shop and had everything gone thru, ring and pinion mesh
pattern and backlash and so forth, shop said everything fine. Replaced front
driveshaft, Have put close to 5k miles since all that work and problem still
there.
This is exactly what is happening to me, but I had the dealer check pre-load and such and they said it all looked fine. Can I add more slip-additive to see if that quiets it at all?

Do we just have whiny rear ends?

They also said i needed a rear wheel hub... but that would be a constan whine not a intermittent, correct? I have the hubs and I am going to try replace them this week or next and report back

road_tripper 03-26-2014 02:03 PM

mine rear end was howling like a banshee, had the bearings in the rear replaced.

reduced the noise by 90%. there is still a whine from the gears under load, only audible above 40, but gets louder under load and at higher speeds. driveline shop (whom I trust) said the gears 'looked' OK, and I believe them.

I'll probably fork out the $$$$ for a mopar ring and pinion and have them install it. If it lasts 100K miles, that's only a little over $1 for every 100 miles (or 50 cents a mile).

Otherwise, I can't hear the wife complain over the rear end whine :confused:

The time now is 07:59 AM.