05 WK w/ P0430 Right Bank Cat code - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 05 WK w/ P0430 Right Bank Cat code

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 05-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #1
Last Boyscout
1979 CJ7 

05 WK w/ P0430 Right Bank Cat code

My Boss has parked his 05 WK due to the quotes he got to fix a P0430 code. If I fix it cheap itíll be mine as a company car. My motivation is that my current company car is a 00 Chevy Astro w/ 249,xxx.

He has replaced the down stream O2 sensor on the Right Bank when he first got the code. No resolve. Took it to a dealer ship and was quoted $1,500 to replace from the manifold back. Then took it to a garage the company uses and was told the cat was bad. I took it to the guy who does my custom exhaust on my rigs. He took temp readings in front of and behind the cat. The reading was with in tolerances showing the cat was not over working. I ran Seafoam through the intake and gas tank. I didnít think it would completely resolve the issue, but I needed to check for exhaust leaks. None were visible.

There is no noticeable in performance at highway speeds a telltale sign of a bad cat. Could that be due to the fact there are 2 cats on a 4.7 WK?

But, on newer MPI vehicle is a temp check a reliable method to check a cat? Or, should I do a backpressure test at the up stream O2 sensor bung? When replacing O2 sensors should both the up and down steam be replaced at the same time if one fails?

My guy quoted me $200 (parts and labor) to replace the cat. But I donít want to just trough money at this problem.

Last Boyscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
merlinTec

Hi
Have the TSB check first I know you have been to the dealership but I would go back again to recheck if you are unsure http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_1803405.pdf
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 05-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
Last Boyscout
1979 CJ7 

CORRECTION

It is a 06 WK.

I read the manufacture date of 11/05. It was sold and licensed as a 2006. Any chance there was a TSB for the same issue for a 06 WK.
Unread 05-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
rocks00tj
2005 WK 

i got the p0430 code 7 or 8 months ago. had tsb to reflash, still there. replaced both o2 sensors, light still on. quoted $1400 + to replace cars. no performance issues, just that *%$#@ light on. may take it to an exhaust shop because i suspect a slight exhaust leak at right manifold, or just have the one cat cut out and replaced.
rocks00tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
robpp

exhaust leak. take it to the bank.

If under warranty, go back to the dealer, tell them to bring a Chrysler tech in. They'll do a smoke test and find your leak. most likely the ex manifold. even a pinhole throws that CEL.
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
Last Boyscout
1979 CJ7 

I couldnít find a TSB for a Cat issue on the 06.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpp View Post
exhaust leak. take it to the bank.

If under warranty, go back to the dealer, tell them to bring a Chrysler tech in. They'll do a smoke test and find your leak. most likely the ex manifold. even a pinhole throws that CEL.
Itís no longer under warranty. Iíll talk to my exhaust guy and see if he can ďsmoke testĒ for leaks. Any other ideas keep them coming.
Unread 06-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
merlinTec

Hi
No but there is a software update for the 06 and I always like things up to date latest is for TSB 18-014-09. get the smoke test done if no fault I see what else I can find.
Unread 02-16-2013, 03:36 AM   #8
silentknight
1967 CJ5 

Bump for more never news/fixes?

i'm looking to buy a 05' GC Limited 4.7 WH(RHD export version of WK).check engine light is on so hooked up a generic scanner - its got the same trouble code.
wondering if its an easy fix or a deal breaker

thanks in advance

build in progress -> 67' CJ5, stretched 110" WB, widened 5" /ISUZU C240/TF727/NP203/D300/D44HD & D60 from a 74' IHC 200/38.5 GROUND HAWGS/10X15 DIY BANDED STEELS
silentknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
Amoros
2005 WK 

Anyone want to revisit this topic? Got this code along with p0304. Cylinder 4 misfire.
Amoros is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.