05 WK Towing Long Distance - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Chirpz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-12-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
djleatherb15
2005 WK 

05 WK Towing Long Distance

Hello, I have a 2005 WK with the 4.7L V8. It is the limited model with the towing package. My girlfriend and I are making the move from NH to TN. From NH to TN it is a 1,059 mile drive or 16 hours and 16 minutes. The jeep has the 4 inch super lift and 265/65/17 for tires. The transmission was flushed 300 miles ago because of a random overheating issue that I think was solved by the flush. The oil will be changed before I leave. Both driveshafts have been replaced. Due to the age and mileage I am kind of nervous to take it. Will it be ok towing a u-haul trailer for the long? (It is mostly highway) Is there anything else I should go over before I leave? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-12-2017, 02:16 PM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

shocks and struts. Make sure they are good especially the shocks. Cooling system should be checked out also. Change rear differential fluid as that will get very hot when towing that distance.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-12-2017, 07:26 PM
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Figure out what it would cost to rent a u-haul truck, then either drive your Jeep seperate or tow it behind the truck on a dolly.

Chirpz
2007 WK CRD, Quadradrive II, OEM Tow Hitch, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete, 4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly Guards, Side Rails & Full Matrix, OEM Skids, EHM, Dash Duck.

post #4 of 13 Old 10-12-2017, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
djleatherb15
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
Figure out what it would cost to rent a u-haul truck, then either drive your Jeep seperate or tow it behind the truck on a dolly.

To rent a U-Haul trailer it will only cost about $200 and to rent a truck it is $1000+

post #5 of 13 Old 10-12-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
djleatherb15
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
shocks and struts. Make sure they are good especially the shocks. Cooling system should be checked out also. Change rear differential fluid as that will get very hot when towing that distance.

Thank you for the response! I didnít even think of the differential getting hot. I donít know when the last time that was changed so I will definitely be doing that.

post #6 of 13 Old 10-12-2017, 07:52 PM
SteveROntario

I would get the vehicle up to temperature and then turn it off. After that feel around the radiator core for cold spots. The coolant from those years was not very good and plugged up a lot of radiators. Take it easy on the hills if there are any.
Steve
post #7 of 13 Old 10-12-2017, 11:11 PM
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Since you have a 4" lift, remember to get a "drop down" hitch so that the trailer sits level and not cocked up in the front. That's really important.
TwoBobsKJ and underscore like this.

Chirpz
2007 WK CRD, Quadradrive II, OEM Tow Hitch, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete, 4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly Guards, Side Rails & Full Matrix, OEM Skids, EHM, Dash Duck.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-12-2017, 11:17 PM
Chirpz

2007 WK 

If your radiator fan is electric, make sure it really clicks on. On our first long distance trailer trip, our 1999 GC blew a head gasket at the top of the Blue mountians all because the stupid fan switch was broken and I didn't notice. We coasted 17 miles to a dealer where we purchased our current CRD. Long story..short version.

Chirpz
post #9 of 13 Old 10-13-2017, 07:05 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Join AAA and upgrade to premier member, if you can. That level provides 100 mile free tow. It may take 3 months as a junior member before you can upgrade.

I also like the idea of renting the u-haul truck, if you can afford it. It will be expensive but you will have all of your belongings with you on this trip so it may be worth it.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-13-2017, 08:08 AM
Bangarng

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
Join AAA and upgrade to premier member, if you can. That level provides 100 mile free tow. It may take 3 months as a junior member before you can upgrade.

I also like the idea of renting the u-haul truck, if you can afford it. It will be expensive but you will have all of your belongings with you on this trip so it may be worth it.
+1. I'm sure your biggest worry is getting broken down and having to pay $$$ to get towed somewhere, but with AAA you can have a very solid piece of mind.

2010 5.7 - 4" BWoody, BT Catch Can, Flowmaster 50, SC 3872, F&R SRT8 Sways, WK Eibach & Bilstein's.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-13-2017, 09:28 AM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

A lot of people tow and drive with their ZJs and they are 20 years old at least.
If everything is running well and maintenance is up to date, I would not worry about it.
I would install an auxiliary transmission cooler after the ac condenser cooler though.
I have one in mine and I don't tow.
Not sure how long each day you plan on driving but for me 6 hours at a time is about all I care to do these days.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-16-2017, 08:41 AM
road_tripper

I've towed with my 2005 with the 4.7 long distances in the heat (100F+) and might mountain passes. Never had any overheating or any other problem.

I also towed my travel trailer from Vancouver BC to Las Vegas in the winter... had no problems!

Depending on your trailer tongue weight and the stiffness of your suspension, you might get people high-beaming you if your trailer's tongue is heavy enough to drop the rear and make your headlights shine in the eyes of oncoming drivers instead of on the road.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-16-2017, 09:31 AM
underscore
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
Since you have a 4" lift, remember to get a "drop down" hitch so that the trailer sits level and not cocked up in the front. That's really important.
I nearly got into a bind yesterday because of this. With the OME lift and a 3 1/2" drop hitch (the longest that UHaul had in stock) and the trailer cranked all the way up there were only a few mm to spare getting the car transport trailer attached to my Jeep. I also learned they don't have a listing for a diesel, so whatever you do don't say you have a V6 or they'll think you have the 3.7L gas engine and can't tow as much.

2007 WK CRD QDII OME MD OMG WTF BBQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.