05 WK single speed x-fer case to two speed? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 05 WK single speed x-fer case to two speed?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 02-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
tednelson83
1993 ZJ 

05 WK single speed x-fer case to two speed?

hi all, I just got me an 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lorado 4x4 yesterday and I noticed that that it didn't have a hi-lo sellector. turns out that I goofed and got the one with a single speed. got me thinking is it possible to convert it to a selectible one? if so can someone give me some ballpark figures on the conversion?

another question, how capible is this vehicle as is? is it worth it, or would it be best to turn it back in it to the dealer? I have that option untill 9pm on the 10th. I do plan on off roading in it, and I will deffinately want to run the 4x4 trails, that was the whole point of this purchase. (seems like someone may not have done enough research)

thanks guys!

tednelson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #2
JPCCDD

how difficult of a trail? i've taken mine to some pretty remote places but if you're planning on some hard core stuff, trade it back in and get a wrangler.
JPCCDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
tednelson83
1993 ZJ 

thats what i was affraid of, thanks.
Unread 02-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

If you have the single speed, your transfercase is only 4hi and doesn't have the 4lo capability.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
nierace
2003 WJ 

You really want LO range if you're going to hit trails that are considered moderately challenging...

I would bring it back if you have that option...to convert it will run you up around 1k would be my guess on a WK at least.

It would be wiser to find one with it already IMO.
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

$1K would probably be if you got junk yard parts and did the swap yourself. Definately easier to trade it for a model that has the QT-II or QD-II.

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

drewman141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
jeepgaffer
2006 WK 

Well, here's an idea on what some parts might cost...

NV245 Transfer Case

Transfer Case Switch

...I'm sure that there would be more parts involved, plus fluids, and obviously labor...not to mention some PCM/ECU reprograming! I wouldn't even attempt something like this unless I had alot of mechanical experience. I'd bet that you'd be looking closer to $2000. It may be cheaper to install it after the fact, all depends on what they'd charge you to upgrade/trade/return.

I wonder, would changing out the transfer case--if the dealer did it--affect the warranty? Would the new transfer case be covered under the original warranty?

Let us know what you end up doing!!!
jeepgaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2007, 05:25 AM   #8
tednelson83
1993 ZJ 

after a bit more digging around, i found the 245 x-fer case for between $400 and $450. say $50 shipped on the switch, $50-100 on the bezel provided i cant modify the one i have, and it looks like i can do it for under $600. that is provided the wiring is in place, and the ecm needs no programing.

Verdict:... Yup, doable, feasable, and reasonable. once thats done i look into the ELSD's and i will have the QD2 system in my factory QT1 3.7!
Liberalism stems from the notion that it's entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Unread 02-18-2007, 05:53 AM   #9
JeepCollector

I think you forgot a few parts - module to control the 245 transfer case (and ELSD's if you get them), wiring to transfer case (and ELSD's), front and rear driveshafts, and transfer case adapter to transmission. There might be other things too. And you still have 3.07 gears in the axles.

Better to trade for what you want than to have a vehicle half converted and figure out it costs a lot more than you thought. Good luck if you decide to tackle it though!
JeepCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
tednelson83
1993 ZJ 

are the axels different? i knew i was forgetting a bunch of electronic stuff, but what i really need is a factory shop manual, and part interchange manual. know where one can find these? this will help in researching a lot of my plans.
Liberalism stems from the notion that it's entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Unread 02-18-2007, 07:27 PM   #11
gornoman
2006 WK 

Yes, the final drive ratios are different. QTII uses 3.57 gears.
Blue WK Club Member #15
My other passion - WWW.buggiesgonewild.com
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.