'05 WK Radio Posessed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > '05 WK Radio Posessed

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 03-06-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
walki600
2005 WK 

'05 WK Radio Posessed

Hey all,

First post here.

I have an '05 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the standard (I think) REF radio. Anyways, about a week my radio started changing station at random times all by itself. I'll just be driving along, and the radio will switch by 2 tenths. IE from 103.5 to 103.3, or 99.5 to 99.7. Sometimes it changes back to the correct station, sometimes not, it's completely random as far as I can tell. Has anyone ever had this issues, I searched "Radio" back to April '08 and didn't come up with anything...

I know this seems like a minor problem, it really is extremely irritating though. I have had the truck for about 5 months, this is the first hiccup it has given me.

Any Ideas?

-Mike.

walki600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
walki600
2005 WK 

Really?! No one has had this issue before?

I feel so special.
walki600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 01:54 AM   #3
DarrylFlynn
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walki600 View Post
Hey all,

First post here.

I'll just be driving along, and the radio will switch by 2 tenths. IE from 103.5 to 103.3, or 99.5 to 99.7. Sometimes it changes back to the correct station, sometimes not, it's completely random as far as I can tell.

Any Ideas?

-Mike.
Hi,
are you sure that this is not just the RDS and automatic tuning feature doing its job.
Example. In the Uk i have one of my preset buttons on the radio tuned to BBC Radio 2. This station operates between frequency 88 to 91 FM.
At home, one of my preset buttons is tuned at 88.5 to receive this station as that is where the signal is strongest. If i then set off on a journey i notice that my preset station will alter gradually ie go from my set 88.5 to 88.7 or even further apart depending on where i am as the radio is doing its job and seeking out the strongest signal for my chosen station. By the time i come home it WILL have returned to 88.5.

In your original posting you did not state whether you were loosing signal strength and drifting onto an entirely different station as the frequency shifts ( Faulty ) or if it is behaving like mine
(Correctly)

Hope this helps Darryl

Last edited by DarrylFlynn; 03-10-2009 at 10:48 AM..
DarrylFlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
colinzj
2006 WK 

Are you tuning with the dial or the preset keys?

If you're using the dial, it's possible (and fairly easy) to turn it just far enough that it changes but doesn't lock into the next click. Hit a bump, dial will move, radio will decide you wanted to change stations. Been there, done that.
Unread 01-07-2010, 01:12 AM   #5
803scdantes

Quote:
Originally Posted by walki600 View Post
Hey all,

First post here.

I have an '05 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the standard (I think) REF radio. Anyways, about a week my radio started changing station at random times all by itself. I'll just be driving along, and the radio will switch by 2 tenths. IE from 103.5 to 103.3, or 99.5 to 99.7. Sometimes it changes back to the correct station, sometimes not, it's completely random as far as I can tell. Has anyone ever had this issues, I searched "Radio" back to April '08 and didn't come up with anything...

I know this seems like a minor problem, it really is extremely irritating though. I have had the truck for about 5 months, this is the first hiccup it has given me.

Any Ideas?

-Mike.

I just started a separate thread about this when I ran across your post. I have a '06 Laredo and my radio does the same thing- only with the addition of the volume changing. It started out slowly- like once a month or so- and now it does it every day. The volume turns all the way down or all the way up- it's a nightmare. I can't stand to drive the thing because there's no radio. When I try to turn it up- it'll turn back down or vice versa. I replaced the factory radio twice to no avail. I was told-that part of the computer could have gone bad and to install an aftermarket radio because the car's computer doesn't control an aftermarket radio like it would the factory radio. Otherwise it'd be very expensive to fix the main computer. I'll let you know how this goes.
803scdantes is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.