05 wk Hemi sputters, would appreciate help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 05 wk Hemi sputters, would appreciate help

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
lawsonej
At the bottom working up

1998 ZJ 

05 wk Hemi sputters, would appreciate help

I have a 05 wk grand cherokee limited. It has the 5.7. At start up occasionally the engine will run choppy. Eventually the Check engine light will come on and it just throws a multiple cylinder misfire code. Sometimes it will work fine for a minute and then cut out at the first stop light or sign that i come too. Otherwise it seems to drive fine. If i keep the rpms up high when i start it, it seems to help. I've had others suggest EGR valve, and a few cases i found using the search button are similar but don't quite hit the nail on the head. I am not getting a check engine egr code but usually i try not to let it run choppy long enough to receive the code. If you turn off the engine will running choppy, and restart it, it usually runs flawless until the next random time it happens. usually at least twice a week starting up this happens. Appreciate any help in advance.

lawsonej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
R32R1
2006 WK 

When was the last time you changed the plugs? All 16 need to be done every 30k or it will run like crap
R32R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
lawsonej
At the bottom working up

1998 ZJ 

Sorry, I completely forgot to add that. I changed all 16 with champion copper core plugs about a month ago. I checked all spark plug boot endings too.
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
R32R1
2006 WK 

Change the coil packs, clean the intake temp sensor, etc. EGR valve is if it runs choppy while doing 40-60. Also make sure you run 5w-20 full synthetic if that's the case.
R32R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Check the spartk plug wire resistance too. Should be no more than ~10000 ohms per foot. For example, a good relatively new wire ~ 3 ft. long will have a resistance in the neighborhood of 12000-18000 ohms. If any of the wires are marginal/bad, replace them all. You may also want to consider the Tayor Shorty wires, which eliminate the long wires and the failed "Wasted Spark" System. Since you're getting misfire codes, I doubt the problem is your EGR Valve but, if it has lots of miles on it, you may want to consider changing it just for giggles. Some of us have now put this on our "time change" list for around every 50-60K. Part is only ~$30-50, and after the first time only takes 15-30 minutes to change. A bad one will affect idle quality, performance, fuel economy and, as R32R1 said, you'll get surging from ~35 >. If it's bad, you won't always get a light either, until it has gone completely berzerk.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 06:20 AM   #6
lawsonej
At the bottom working up

1998 ZJ 

Okay, i'll try these. Appreciate the help fellas. Ill post a solution when found.
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsonej View Post
Sorry, I completely forgot to add that. I changed all 16 with champion copper core plugs about a month ago. I checked all spark plug boot endings too.
There is a MOPAR Star Case on spark plugs that calls for the top center electrode (i.e., the coil connection) to to be the "dark" one (oxide) and not silver-colored. Recommend you pull a couple of plugs to verify yours are correct. Both spark plug styles have the Champion 570 designation on the plug so this is not a reliable indicator.

Next thing is look at fuel injectors. When my 5.7L HEMI started popping cylinder misfire codes, we moved that cylinder's fuel injector to a new cylinder location and tracked it. The DTC followed the injector. Shortly thereafter, more injectors started failing and they were all replaced. No cylinder misfire codes since then. Also, consider adding a bottle of fuel injector cleaner if you have not done so recently.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.