05 WK Airbag light on? WTF? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 05 WK Airbag light on? WTF?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 07-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
TiestoJeep
2005 WK 

05 WK Airbag light on? WTF?

Hey all -

Let me start off by saying I did a search and while stuff came up on Airbag light, nothing helped. The search on this forum is weird!

I have a 2005 WK, the other day my airbag light chimed on and has stayed on since. When I start the car it chimes, goes away, then comes back on and stays on. I think this has happened to me before and after taking it to the dealer they said I had something stuck under my seat and that was it, talk about feeling like a moron Nothing under seat now, can I go to like pep boys and have removed or do I have to go to the dealer? On a budget and I know the dealer will charge me 100+ just to turn it off.

Any help would be great! Thanks

TiestoJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
Jbripps

Same happened to me as well. Did you check way under the seat? You might be surprised what you can find under there. Look under both front seats. Mine was caused a few times, sometimes by the smallest items that barely touch the underside of the seat. Good luck. Otherwise, you might have another issue. Get it checked, b/c whenever that light is on, the airbag will not deploy from what I understand.

J
Jbripps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
gradeigh1
2005 WK 

Any solution for those/ what the dealer charged? Its happening to mine now. Its really annoying. At first I thought it was rain related, something shorting out. Then it did it today and it hasn't rained recently. Really annoying. Light comes on about dings, stays on thirty seconds or so and goes out comes back on a any where from 15 seconds to 2 minutes later.
gradeigh1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
acort
2005 WK 

I think the dealer chargers like $68 or atleast that was my dealership said when I went and asked about it
acort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
gradeigh1
2005 WK 

So I took it to the dealer. They pulled the code, found it was coming from a module under the center console. They pulled my center console cleaned everything reseated all the contacts, flashed the computer and put it back together. So far so good. We'll see if that's a permanent solution. Only cost an hour of labor.
Unread 11-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
brentwoodkris
2005 WK 

Is this the passenger airbag light or the one in the gauge panel? My passenger airbag light has recently been turning on and it's pretty irritating. I heard someone say that I needed to get the seat weight sensor recalibrated or something.
brentwoodkris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
gradeigh1
2005 WK 

My situation was the red light in the instrument cluster.
Unread 11-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
gradeigh1
2005 WK 

So it came on again today. I pulled the center console apart and found a connector that was half off practically. I also found the plastic trim has some plastic wall hanging down that isn't really necessary and is rubbing on the connecter. I taped the connector in and the light hasn't come on. I plan on getting the roto tool and cutting a section out of that. I'll take pics and post.
Unread 11-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
BAD68GTO
2006 WK 

You can also zip tie connections, I do it on high vibration applications like race cars and anything flimsy :-) Run the zip tie between the wires on each connection pulling the connections together. Also use some dielectic grease if it would ever possibly get wet.
2005 Viper, Vert, DLM SE #27/50, Paxton (w/intercooler) 946 RWHP
2000 Viper GTS, 10 LB Roe+GG heads/intake+Solid Roller, near 800 RWHP on pump gas+WM
1968 GTO 467 CID Fully Ported, Roller, 5-speed
2000 E350 Van with a ZILLION miles
2009 Votes thanks to ACORN
If a conservative is down-and-out, they think about how to better their situation.
A liberal wonders who is going to take care of them.
BAD68GTO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
jpm6621

My 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee air bag light was coming on as well and staying on. I was told by a Non-Chrysler garage that it was something to do with the passenger seat belt safety retraction or something. Well that was a bunch of B.S. because all i did was got under the passenger seat and wiggled the wire connection and that solved my problem.
jpm6621 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
modette
2005 WK 

I sold my airbags on the black market *shrug* Who needs them.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #12
IndyBlueWK
2005 WK 

my light comes on and off all the time.. Had the dealership reflash it twice now and the can't explain it..
IndyBlueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #13
LDB93

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBlueWK
my light comes on and off all the time.. Had the dealership reflash it twice now and the can't explain it..
You have to reset the passenger airbag. Had the same problem on my 06 wk fixed it after
LDB93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
asas
2005 WK 

Where is the exact location of the airbag module on 2005 wk 5.7L ? I need to take it off for resetting . Thanks
asas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
skrach77
2005 WK 

Bump

Mine has starte coming on while accelerating. Then goes back off about 15-30 secs later. Only thing I've done lately is change profiles with my Flashpaq from Econ to 87 perform. I don't think it's that, but just to eliminate the possibility I'm gonna change it back to Econ when I get home.

Without fail- I accelerate from a stop or low speed, and ding! Annoying little light isn't it!
skrach77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.