05 WK 5.7 spark plugs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 05 WK 5.7 spark plugs

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
geoffh
2005 WK 

05 WK 5.7 spark plugs

how difficult is it to change 05 WK 5.7 spark plugs? I have the recommended copper 570 champion spark plugs... im an aircraft mechanic but im usually reluctant to do work on my own stuff. I got a an estimate from a place in town and they quoted me at $300 just for the spark plug maintenance. Ridiculous!

geoffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffh View Post
how difficult is it to change 05 WK 5.7 spark plugs? I have the recommended copper 570 champion spark plugs... im an aircraft mechanic but im usually reluctant to do work on my own stuff. I got a an estimate from a place in town and they quoted me at $300 just for the spark plug maintenance. Ridiculous!
Not difficult. Need 1/4" drive metric socket set and 3/8" drive metric socket set, including 5/8" spark plug socket. Torque wrench for 10-15 ft-lb on plugs and gap tool for 0.043". Buy a tube of dielectric grease for plug boots.

Sears has these: Stock nos. 009-44596 and 009-42274 in the tool catalog. Just used them. The K-D plug socket set worked exceptionally well.

Will take you ~1.5 hrs first time. Go slow and do 1 cylinder at a time.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
geoffh
2005 WK 

awesome thanks for all the info. got the grease already and it turns out my room mate has all the tools you listed.
geoffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
maxst2
2006 WK 

Get a swivel attachment for the back passenger and driver plugs... you'll spend most your time on those. lol

Its that much since they are prolly charging you to replace both banks of plugs. you have 16 plugs. 8 Iridiums and 8 coppers.
Unread 02-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxst2 View Post
......Its that much since they are prolly charging you to replace both banks of plugs. you have 16 plugs. 8 Iridiums and 8 coppers.
Not for the HEMI. 16 coppercore plugs only. 4.7L engines are different.

My first spark plug change at the dealer was $165, including 16 MOPAR copper core plugs. Now I have the tools, so it's only $32 in spark plugs every 30K miles.
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Unread 02-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
maxst2
2006 WK 

ah yeah...
Unread 02-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
airportdave
2010 WK 

One other tip- make sure your spark plug socket is firmly attached to the extension. If you don't use a locking extension, you run the risk of leaving the socket firmly attached to the plug when you try to pull the socket out after installing a plug. It's a b**ch to fish it out...Ask me how I know!
Unread 02-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
maxst2
2006 WK 

Done the 4.7L Gen I this morning... that sucked. It was cold out
Unread 02-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airportdave View Post
One other tip- make sure your spark plug socket is firmly attached to the extension. If you don't use a locking extension, you run the risk of leaving the socket firmly attached to the plug when you try to pull the socket out after installing a plug. It's a b**ch to fish it out...Ask me how I know!
That's the beauty of the K-D spark plug socket set. It's 3 sockets with different length extensions attached to a 5/8" spark plug socket, on a wobble connection. Each socket has a rubber insert and a magnet. Doesn't leave anything behind to fish out.

I did some searching to find it. Glad I did. Only place I found it was the Sears Tool catalog -or- Sears on-line. They do go on sale. Since the 5.7L HEMI's need 16 spark plugs every 30K miles, it was worth it for me. The bonus was I got another new tool!
Unread 02-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #10
airportdave
2010 WK 

Thanks for the tip Walt- I'll have to check that out!
Unread 02-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
CruiserClass
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Not difficult. Need 1/4" drive metric socket set and 3/8" drive metric socket set, including 5/8" spark plug socket. Torque wrench for 10-15 ft-lb on plugs and gap tool for 0.043". Buy a tube of dielectric grease for plug boots.

Sears has these: Stock nos. 009-44596 and 009-42274 in the tool catalog. Just used them. The K-D plug socket set worked exceptionally well.

Will take you ~1.5 hrs first time. Go slow and do 1 cylinder at a time.
A stubby 10mm wrench will also come in handy for some of the harder to get to coil bolts.

An assortment of extentions ranging from 3" to 12" and a pair of wobbles and you can get anywhere you need to go to change the plugs.
CruiserClass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
modette
2005 WK 

Bought my 2005 5.7L used...guess if they use copper plugs I better check them out, I bet they were not ever serviced and the vehicle has now 103K miles on it. Seems to run fine, so maybe the dealer changed them out before selling the vehicle (one can hope). Never really did this on my other vehicles...tend to change them out for Platinum 4's and never look back.

Guess next time near a dealer I'll go in and get me 16 plugs. Oh and thanks for the Sears spark plug tool...I'm going to look at that now.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #13
WH-HEMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
tend to change them out for Platinum 4's and never look back.
Don't use Platinum or Double Platinum plugs. HEMI's don't like them. You either go standard Copper or Iridium plugs.

I have 8 Iridium (compression stroke) and 8 copper (on exhaust stroke). Works like a charm.
WH-HEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #14
wkearney99
2006 WK 

The KD kit with the magnetic sockets is THE thing to have for changing plugs in the Hemi. You'll use all three of them as the clearance varies on the plug sockets. It's WELL worth the money. The biggest hassle with changing the plugs is getting the plastic bracket off the coil. There's a bracket that sits on top of two of the cylinders (one each side) that carries the wiring over the coil. Figuring out how to get it loose without wrecking it is a trick. And then there's the issue of finding inevitably dropped 10mm bolt. Mine turned up in the driveway two days later. Meanwhile I stole one of the bolts near the right headlamp to hold one of the coils in place.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #15
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
....The biggest hassle with changing the plugs is getting the plastic bracket off the coil. There's a bracket that sits on top of two of the cylinders (one each side) that carries the wiring over the coil. Figuring out how to get it loose without wrecking it is a trick. And then there's the issue of finding inevitably dropped 10mm bolt. ....
For others who haven't done it:
1. The plastic wire harness routing covers just pry off (carefully) as they clip on the outboard and inboard sides of the coils.
2. The 10mm capscrews will stay captive if you only unscrew them until they clear the female thread.

Glad you liked the K-D socket tools. One of those "elegantly-simple" designs.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.