'05 Limited Hemi, A few questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > '05 Limited Hemi, A few questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
Tamerin
2005 WK 

'05 Limited Hemi, A few questions

So....

A few weeks ago, picked up a new jeep. Financed, but no extended warranty.

133k on the dash, interior is mint, one previous owner. Doesn't look like it's had any trail time, like at all. So not a bad pick, so I thought.

A few questions/concerns:

1) There have been a few times that it simply has not started? I turn the key, everything lights up strong. I wait the 10 seconds I always do for the lights on the dash to die, and then turn the key and all I get is the engine turning over. Not a clicking noise, but the engine actually trying to start. It's like it's not getting fuel or not enough power. I looked at the battery, it's actually not even a year old, so wouldn't think it's that. It's definitely not the starter, since I am getting more than just a click. But what's weird is, it's just plain random. I was at walmart this weekend, had the tail gate open, put the groceries in, go to start it, and nada. Cranked it over 4 times before it started. I had a friend check the battery voltage, didn't seem like an issue. I'd be surprised if it's the battery, right?

2) Lights on the dashboard flicker, more like go bright and then dim. The only fix is, to turn my dimmer switch to off so all the lights are dim. I am taking a guess this would be the actual dimmer switch, yeah? How hard is it to replace these? Thoughts?

3) So, the tires were shot. I actually got them to take $750 off the down payment I was giving towards new tires. So I got some new tires for now, just 245/65/17 Definity AT's. What I noticed is, over 65 mph the steering shimmies and when i brake hard I can feel it too. The issue is, I just got a full alignment this weekend. It's a little better, but, I can still feel it. I didn't have that feeling in my old '05, so I know it can't be 'normal'. Any thoughts on what to look for? Or, should I just start replacing suspension pieces? Starting to get there in miles, prob for the best no?

4) Exhaust. Sounds like there is a hole in my exhaust or cat converter. I can't find the damn thing or see what's wrong with the exhaust, but I keep hearing the manifolds on the 5.7 crap out around 100-125k anyways. What doesn't say is, how does it crap out. They say to just replace them, but how would you know they are crapped out? I don't smell exhaust or anything when sitting the truck at idle. If I roll down my driver window, I can sometimes get a whiff of exhaust. I might just record revving my engine, you can hear it at times. When I rev, you can hear a solid drive, but the moment I let go, sometimes it sounds like it's backfiring or like a sputter right before it idles out the exhaust. It might just be me, and that's the sounds the Hemi makes.

This is my first hemi, actually my first V8 ever. I love the power, that engine runs strong as hell. I just paid Jiffylube a hefty price for (oil change, transmission change, differential fluids replaced, fuel system clean out, and coolant system change) everything for me (too damn cold for me to do myself, no garage and doing it on my drive way in the snow/wind would suck). I noticed like a 2 mpg gain after everything, so now I get a solid 15 haha.

First things first, I want to get her running completely strong. Then I will start with the other things like a lift and other mods.

Black WK Club #110
Tamerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
Tamerin
2005 WK 

Just a bump for any thoughts / feedback.

Black WK Club #110
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
skibum555
2005 WK 

Lots of info within the forum but you have to spend the time reading all of the threads bud... some people would have said that in a more rude way....

That being said I am new to the Hemi world and the jeep world so I have been easing into my 05 Hemi limited wk. there is a hemi tick that is just motor noise and is there for a no reason and guys always have a different theory as to what it is... and how to solve it, this tick gets mistaken for an exhaust leak sometimes. I did however find my exhaust leak because I noticed a small condensation puddle when I started my jeep and let it sit on a icy cold morning. Also with 133,xxx on the clock anything like socks and struts rubber bushings on suspension/steering that is original is past its prime if not plum worn out. I have started with shocks and struts and will progress to upper control arms and other stuff as I have to. I have 115,xxx on the clock so Im in the same boat as you sort of. The front end shimmy is probably the bushings and other mumbo jumbo associated with the front suspension/steering system (havent got to that info yet).
skibum555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 05:27 AM   #4
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

1. Does your Jeep die when driving down the road? If it is trying to start and wont but does randomly or after a few tries it could be your crankshaft position sensor.

2. The dash lights flickering are a common issue when your starter or battery are starting to go out.

3. Have the tires rebalanced see if it fixes the issue, if not it see if there is any play on the driveshafts.

4. Im not to sure about this ive never had to deal with the issue thankfully (knock on wood)

LOOKING TO BUY: RRO or JBA UCA's
Jeepforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
rsurran

2005 WK 

I have the dash lights dimming and brightening, it is a connector in the steering column from the dimmer wheel in your light stalk, left side. I just live with it. Not starting never happens on mine so I don't know. Any codes? Front end shimmy on the old tires too? I would also suggest a rebalance as above. As always, do the simple stuff first. I have 105k on mine. I put General Grabbers on it with no issues.

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
rsurran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
Tamerin
2005 WK 

Yeah,

1) The engine hasn't actually died, but I'm use to manual transmissions. And when it idles, it's like I'm about to let go of the clutch without gas. That slight hesitation at times, but overall the engine idles around 800 RPM's, which is actually higher than the 500 my v6 idled. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it, was hoping a fix was simple as bang on the TB or something and it will go away, heh. I would say this is unique because I can't pin point why it won't start to any one reason. I am gunna replace the battery this weekend, it's a simple $80 and at least I will know it's new. Maybe it's just corrosion on the terminals, guess I'll have to look around the truck and listen.

2) I'll take a look at the battery, and see if that helps the lights. Would be nice. I'll look at the steering column, might just replace the connector if the battery doesn't work. Was hoping I didn't have to replace the entire stalk.

3) I'll just run over to Merchants during the weekend and have them re-balance the tires for me. See if that helps at all, hope that's all lol. Never had a shimmy like that after new tires and an alignment. Only vibrations if it's the bushings and stuff.

4) I actually pin pointed the noise to under my passenger side door and stuff while sitting at the lights today. It sounds like the entire exhaust is loose. Like it shakes and stuff. When it warms up, and there ain't snow and ice on the ground, I'll have to get it up on my ramps and check it out. Really just hoping it's some random hole I can patch up, and tighten the exhaust to be good.

Anyways, thanks for the comments. I'll keep searching the forums too of course, just wanted to see if anyone had any other feedback or suggestions and stuff.

Black WK Club #110
Unread 02-08-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

Two Cents:

1.) I'd go with the plugs. The Hemi is VERRRRRRY picky about plugs. As per WKJeeps.com and the FSM, the 5.7L Hemi uses Champion 570s. Not this type or that type. Champion. 570. I too had the infamous random stalling and hard turnover issue 3 weeks off the lot, and tried all the fixes after my dealership swore the plugs were good. Turns out I checked myself and the Champion 3570 they used were the issue. Threw new plugs dropping the 3 and haven't had an issue for over a year.

2.) I've had that a few times, included the dash dinger and my headlights all flashing at different speeds and times. I think it is my BA factory amp going bad and freaking out everything else over the CAN-BUS.

3.) a. Check steering first. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/t...d-pop-1421373/ Then move on to bushings/bearings.
b. On a related note, get the BBs, and there will be no balancing... EVER. 1x 6oz bag per tire. Love this stuff. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...erm=counteract

4.) Manifolds crack, manifold gaskets go bad, and I believe your down pipe runs right next to the front driveshaft on the driver's side before the Y. Start the engine and spray some carb cleaner in suspected spots. When you find a hole the engine will rev and you'll know it.
audiophonicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #8
Tamerin
2005 WK 

Thanks Audio.

I've been thinking of the sparks, been too cold. And I didn't see a write up, since is my first Hemi, need to figure out where they are in the first place. Just hope they ain't on the side of the block like my Nissan was, sucked ***.

I'll check the steering too, and I'll even do the BB's, smart idea.

And didn't realize the carb cleaner could force the engine to rev like that, great idea. I'll do that as well.

Black WK Club #110
Unread 02-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #9
ISUzj
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerin View Post
Thanks Audio.

I've been thinking of the sparks, been too cold. And I didn't see a write up, since is my first Hemi, need to figure out where they are in the first place. Just hope they ain't on the side of the block like my Nissan was, sucked ***.

I'll check the steering too, and I'll even do the BB's, smart idea.

And didn't realize the carb cleaner could force the engine to rev like that, great idea. I'll do that as well.
Plugs are super easy,just takes time,(1.5 hrs) and make sure you have a swivel socket and a 3" extension handy that will make it night and day easier. Do it when the engine is cold and make sure they get TQ'ed down good.

OBTW.. there are 16 plugs on the hemi.

I put new copper NKG's in mine that had the same issue, pops right up everytime now
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #10
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Use caution with wkjeeps.com. I found some info to be a little off, spark plug gap. Check your owners manual. As for changing your plugs, recommend using a torque wrench as you can strip out the head. Also anti seize, NGK has a film on the plugs so if purchased from the dealership anti seize is not required. Anti seize can affect the torque value.
10Xk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #11
Tamerin
2005 WK 

Already got the plugs this morning, had to go to autozone for some other stuff anyways. Now, it's a waiting game for the temp to get above 40, so I can somewhat comfortably change the plugs without my fingers freezing.

Black WK Club #110
Unread 02-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #12
wagoneerXJ
1998 ZJ 

replace your ignition switch

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.