05 JGC Overheat Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 05 JGC Overheat Issues

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
05JeepPC

05 JGC Overheat Issues

So I own an 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD 3.7. I have had an overheat problem that is killing me. I will drive down the road around 60 MPH and have no problems but when I'm going less than 45 MPH and stopped it begins to overheat. Once I get my speed up again it begins to cool down to the recommended temp. I've replaced both fan relays and the thermostat. This morning it did it again but it actually completely overheated and said check gauges. I pulled over and shut the car off. I then turned the key to the on position and it just flashed between transmission over temp and check gauges. I believe the transmission over temp message is just a stupid default msg but I put a quart of ATF+4 in anyway just to see and it still overheats. My next step is replacing the water pump and hoping it will solve my problem. Does anybody have any better ideas?

05JeepPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
tom19511
2006 WK 

Are the fans coming on? It seems like there is enough airflow through the radiator to keep cool when your crusing at 60.
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
05JeepPC

Yeah, the fan kicks on hi and lo when at a stop. It still overheats though. I believe the transmission is actually overheating. I just put a new water pump in and it's still doing it but worse.
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
05JeepPC

Overheat With Vapor lock

My 05 JGC is overheating due to a vapor lock in the coolant system. Does anyone know a good way to get the air out of the system?
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
JKM
2005 WK 

Pull the plug from the top rad hose at the engine (should be a 1/2" plug that can be removed with a 1/2" ratchet). Fill from there with the motor running with the heater on. continue adding until coolant until the air bubbles stop. This can take 15mins or so with the motor running. Have a look on youtube for instructional videos. I've seen a good one for 3.7L in the Liberty
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
05JeepPC

So i did fix it this previous friday. I let the engine cool and took the top hose off the block side and filled it there. Then started and got the thermostat to open finally and bled the system. Thanks for all the advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.