05 Grand Cherokee water leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 05 Grand Cherokee water leak

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 06-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
4norris
2005 WK 

05 Grand Cherokee water leak

I've got water driping down the a-pillar handle screw cover on the driver's side. And, when it rains really hard, also from the passenger a-pillar and the overhead center console with the sunglasses holder.

I've seen many posts about this problem and found two service bulletins:
http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2305004.pdf
http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2305005.pdf

Initially I only had water coming down from the passenger side a-pillar. I found that the right sunroof drain tube was routed incorrectly, as it ascended over some wires before dropping down along the a-pillar. I took the a-pillar off and rerouted the tube correctly with some wire. I tested both of the drain tubes by pouring water down the front track, and all of the water came out on the garage floor - none inside the car. However, the leak persisted.

Then I took off the rubber weatherstrip along the top of the door frame and silicone-sealed the door frame junction with the metal retainer on both sides per the 2305004 bulletin. I didn't notice any dripping water for awhile after this, and thought the problem was solved. Then I noticed water still dripping down from the driver's side a-pillar.

I've seen other posts saying the source of the leak could be the front windshield, or a sunroof that isn't flush when in the closed position. I don't see any gaps when the sunroof is closed and water seems to drip more when I go downhill indicating it is building up in the headliner. Also, there is a musty mildew-like smell in the car after a rain. I'm not ruling those out completely, but they seem more unlikely.

After reading the 2305005 bulletin carefully, I discovered that there are also 2 rear sunroof drain tubes as indicated in the diagram of this bulletin. It says that these tubes commonly get stopped up near the bottom by sound deadening foam. That is what I am trying to work on now, but I have not been able to access these tubes. I pulled the carpet up in the backseat floor on both sides and found only a bundle of wires. I pulled the upper c-pillar trim and found the tube is actually located inside the metal where I cannot access it. I've looked under the car but can't find where the end of the tube drains out.

It looks like I'm going to be forced to take out the headliner, which per the service manual is a long process of removing the A, B, C, and D pillar covers and disconnecting wires from the upper center console, dvd screen, park assist, etc. Even if i can access the rear tubes with the headliner off, I don't know how I can access them at the bottom, where the bulletin says the problem is.

Another problem I have is that water collects in the lower outside trim under the driver's side door. After a rain, when I open my driver's side door, water falls out onto my shoes. This may be related to the primary water leak, or a separate issue entirely. Any ideas? Thanks.

4norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
4norris
2005 WK 

So far I've almost got the headliner out. There is only one thing holding me up: the rear windshield washer fluid hose. It runs all the way down the headliner on the driver's side. The hose was attached to a coupler on the front a-piller. However, I don't see a coupler in the back and don't know how to disconnect it. It is taped and glued down to the headliner; looks like it would be difficult to pull it up. However, I certainly don't want to cut the hose at the back either.

The service manual just says to disconnect the rear washer hose. The manual was wrong on the b-pillar upper trim; there was actually a screw rather than just tabs holding it in. Does anyone know if the hose has a coupler where it runs up through the roof at the frame for the rear liftgate; or is it continuous throughout? Thanks.
Unread 06-03-2010, 03:32 AM   #3
wrenchbendr
2005 WK 

4norris, sounds like you have things going in the right direction on finding the leak. you may want to also check the roof rack anchor points, seems someone on here had a problem with water leaking in around them. i do believe the rear drain tube exits are towards the bottom of the center pillar right below the rear door hinge on both sides. they are the square rubber inserts about the size of a quarter. good luck let us know what you find.
wrenchbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
TNez
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4norris View Post
After reading the 2305005 bulletin carefully, I discovered that there are also 2 rear sunroof drain tubes as indicated in the diagram of this bulletin. It says that these tubes commonly get stopped up near the bottom by sound deadening foam. That is what I am trying to work on now, but I have not been able to access these tubes. I pulled the carpet up in the backseat floor on both sides and found only a bundle of wires. I pulled the upper c-pillar trim and found the tube is actually located inside the metal where I cannot access it. I've looked under the car but can't find where the end of the tube drains out.

It looks like I'm going to be forced to take out the headliner, which per the service manual is a long process of removing the A, B, C, and D pillar covers and disconnecting wires from the upper center console, dvd screen, park assist, etc. Even if i can access the rear tubes with the headliner off, I don't know how I can access them at the bottom, where the bulletin says the problem is.

This was my issue. My driver side rear drain tube was clogged by the foam. I could only get the headliner down far enough to get my hands in there and try to pull the drain tube out. The passenger side would come right out but the driver side was stuck. After ripping it out and replacing the tube all is good now.
Unread 06-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
alexwhite96523
2005 WK 

i've had the front drain tubes gt plugged....also had a "buldge" in the gasket between the windsheild and the top of the jeep (on the outside)...I pushed the gasket back into position and it solved the problem when the water was coming down out of the sunglass storage/map light thingie on the cieling on the inside...best of luck....
alexwhite96523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
4norris
2005 WK 

After spraying water from a garden hose to the outside of the jeep, the inside is still dry. I couldn't find an area where water was coming in. Then I just left the hose running on top of the roof (parked on a flat driveway). After a minute or so, water came pouring onto the seat. So, the source of the leak seems to be the sunroof. It looks to be completely sealed from the top, but water is getting in. It is overflowing from this trough that connects to the front drain tubes. If you can see in the picture, there is a small cutout area in the trough just above where the front drain tube connects on both sides: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Gd953HDk_lk/TA.../untitled2.jpg
Water builds up in the trough and overflows from this gap in the trough. Without the headliner, it pours right into the front seats. I've disconnected the front tubes and blown through them. They seem to be clear. I don't know whether the tubes just aren't draining the water properly from the trough; or if too much water is getting in from the sunroof just overwhelming the drainage capacity of the tubes.
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
GCooperII
2005 WK 

Thanks for the TSBs. Looked them over and it has taken some of the guesswork away about where I need to look. I am taking the headliner out now to investigate the same issue on mine. Were you ever able to determine the root cause(s)?

Finally installed: 18" JK Gladiator Wheels/Tires, RR2.5" Lift
SOLD: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Kevin's 2" BB 265/70R16Geolandar AT+II
GCooperII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
4norris
2005 WK 

Yeah, the front drain tubes were clogged. Since I had the headliner out, I just blew out all four tubes with an air compressor. However, you don't need to take the headliner out to blow out the font tubes: they can be accessed at the A-pillar. Unfortunately, you do have to pull the headliner out to access the rear tubes. Good luck.
Unread 08-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
GCooperII
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4norris View Post
Yeah, the front drain tubes were clogged. Since I had the headliner out, I just blew out all four tubes with an air compressor. However, you don't need to take the headliner out to blow out the font tubes: they can be accessed at the A-pillar. Unfortunately, you do have to pull the headliner out to access the rear tubes. Good luck.
OK thanks. Its good to know that blowing them out worked for you. I am going to drop the whole headliner out anyways because I am chasing down the infamous sunroof/passenger side curtian airbag rattle. Also the whole headliner needs a good cleaning anyways and hopefully it will be easier with it out of the way. Thanks again! I will post an update to what my issue was in the near future.

Unread 08-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
GCooperII
2005 WK 

Just an update to provide the resolution for my case of "Water Leak from A Pillar and sometimes from overhead console".

I ended up dropping the whole headliner for a few reasons even though its not necissary to drop it completely just to access the front two sunroof drains. I dropped mine to access the rear two drains as well as to chase down an irrirating rattle that was seemingly coming from the rear drivers side sunroof area. Also the thing was filthy and having it out of the vehichle made it very easy to clean. (i used oxy-clean and the headliner is now in prisine condition)

A few tips to those who need to remove the headliner from thier WK. After removing all trim peices that play a part in holding it up there are a couple of things you will want to do.
  • If you have the DVD system like I do there are two screws holding that in place. They are hidden above where the remote sits.
  • The rear washer hose runs all along the headliner and must be disconnected before dropping the headliner any more than a couple of inches. There is a coupling in the fron drivers A-Pillar where the hose can be removed. For the rear connection you will have to remove the third brake light assembly and remove it from the nipple there. After it is removed from the rear nipple it can them be fed back though the body to hang loose and come out with the headliner. This will make more sense when you see it.
  • Contained within the headliner itself is a wiring harness of sorts that runs power and such to all of the overhead lights, mirrors, etc. the harness convienently plugs into about 4 or so plugs in the rear pillars and in my case three additional plugs to the rear view mirror area. Unplug all of these connections.
  • all of the the plugs are meant to plug together easily but no so much for unplugging. Take your time and use a small flathead screwdriver to pry up the saftey clips on all the connections before pulling them apart.
After that the headliner is ready to be removed. It takes a little angleing and gentle persuading to get it out of the rear hatch area but it is possible just becareful not to crease it in some of the more narrow/delicate areas. I creased it a little going back in but after putting it all back together I can not tell where it was now.

Hope this helps.

Oh and the root cause of my water leak was clogged front drains.

Unread 08-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Good info Cooper, thanks for the update.
Unread 09-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
omarl956
2005 WK 

damn where having all sorts of storms here in lower texas and i just got water all in my passanger and driver side. im working on this today.....
omarl956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #13
GCooperII
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCooperII View Post
Just an update to provide the resolution for my case of "Water Leak from A Pillar and sometimes from overhead console".

<SNIP>

Oh and the root cause of my water leak was clogged front drains.
Not entirely. With all of the rain we have been getting in the last few days my leak is back better than ever..... Still chasing down causes at this point.

The area pointed out in the TSB looks solid on mine (no gaps, cracks voids)and I can not see any area for water to be entering there.

Roof rack bolts were not as tight as I expected. I tightened them down and will report back.

Unread 10-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #14
GCooperII
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCooperII View Post
Not entirely. With all of the rain we have been getting in the last few days my leak is back better than ever..... Still chasing down causes at this point.

The area pointed out in the TSB looks solid on mine (no gaps, cracks voids)and I can not see any area for water to be entering there.

Roof rack bolts were not as tight as I expected. I tightened them down and will report back.
OK, So tightening the bolts did absolutely nothing. I thought I saw a crack on the rear sunroof drain channel so I took off the sunroof glass and removed the channel. Discovered there was no crack.....ARRGH Poured a gallon of water in the sunroof drain channels and made sure every drain tube was utilized. No leak.... WHAT THE HECK Reinstalled the glass and set the alignment back to factory specs (it was out of alignment previously).

The next night a small shower comes through and I am greeted in the morning to water drops around the passenger A-Pillar bolts again. The only other holes in the roof I have not exaustively checked out are the roof rack mounting bolts. So I remove the passenger side bolts and find that two of the 4 on that side have rust on the threads all the way to the bottom. Progress, FINALLY. I have now wrapped all 4 on that side with teflon tape and so far so good. No leaks after the first substantial rainfall. Hopefully I am done chasing down this leak.

Cliff notes: Check your roof rack bolts for the source of your leak and reseal the threads as necessary.

10/21 EDIT: Just had another significant rain event and no water inside this time either, so I am pretty confident that the leak has been taken care of. I just dont see how that much water could have been getting by the threads.... But the fact that I havent had any more water since coating the threads tells me that was it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.