'05 Grand Cherokee...Leak? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > '05 Grand Cherokee...Leak?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 12-04-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
DSimmon
2005 WK 

'05 Grand Cherokee...Leak?

My wife has a 2005 Grand Cherokee. She brought it to my attention yesterday that she thought she had an oil leak, because when she left for work yesterday, there was a spot in the garage.

When I got home from work (it was already dark, and the Jeep is in a garage), I got out a flash light and went to check out where it might be leaking from (hoping it was just a loose oil filter, and maybe with the cold weather, it had adjusted a little). When I looked underneath, there was a damp spot on the pavement underneath where the center console would be. Not being familiar with anything underneath this vehicle, and unfortunately not being smart enough to grab my camera yesterday, I think it's a transfer case (?) that leaked a bit.

I ran my finger through the spot on the pavement, and it was clear on my finger tips, and I would think gear oil would have color to it, but not sure. It didn't feel all dry like brake fluid, but was curious if anyone had any preliminary thoughts, or further courses of action I could take to diagnose. When I get home tonight, I'm going to take a bit more time and check all the fluids under the hood (in case it may be brake fluid or something).

DSimmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
2007GrandDiesel
2007 WK 

Run a white paper towel through it - this will make the color more visible. Didn't these '05s have transmission leaks?
2007GrandDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
DSimmon
2005 WK 

These transmission leaks you mention, is it something that has been recalled/tsb'd?
DSimmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
medbusiness

I have a 2005 WK that went into service today for a power steering fluid leak and they found the entire casing to be "
pouring" fluid out...check the power steering fluid level! My Jeep started to make a noise when steering which clued me in....
medbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
ArchitTrav

I have had similar issues with the transmission in my '05 Grand Cherokee. A few months ago I had the oil changed and it was brought to my attention that my transmission was "damp", although the fluid was not measurably low. I took the vehicle to the dealer and they replaced the gasket on the transmission pan and told me that all was good to go. Today I purposely had the oil changed at the dealership so that they could inspect the above mentioned repair and alert me if anything else was leaking. This time the dealership replaced a leaking gasket on electrical plug on the gear box. Two straight oil changes and two identified transmission leaks of some sort. I'm not sure if this indicates that I have genuinely had two issues with the transmission or if this means that I have had one issue and two attempts to fix it. At any rate, you may want to mention both of these issues to your dealer as a starting point for identifying your problem. Good luck and I hope that this is not a sign of worse things to come for the both of us.
ArchitTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
CEPCNC
2005 WK 

the gasket on the tranny is a TSB....the electrical plug on the tranny is not however it should be...it's very common. the crappy thing about the plug is that it is a $9 piece but they will charge you close to $100 for the work/part.
CEPCNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.