05 Grand cherokee Air box question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 05 Grand cherokee Air box question

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 07-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
mmarine58

05 Grand cherokee Air box question

I have an 05 grand Cherokee, love the truck. Today i was looking at the air box and i came across a thin hose that is connected to the side of the box, I opened it and there was oil in it. I'm wondering if this is normal or something is up? Much help would be appreciated!

mmarine58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
JRLT
2010 WK 

Think that's the hose you would install a catch can to.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
mmarine58

but is it normal to have oil in it?
mmarine58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarine58 View Post
I have an 05 grand Cherokee, love the truck. Today i was looking at the air box and i came across a thin hose that is connected to the side of the box, I opened it and there was oil in it. I'm wondering if this is normal or something is up? Much help would be appreciated!
I believe that it is the makeup air line to the crankcase (replaces air sucked out by PCV valve). On my '08 5.7L HEMI, it goes from the air box to the side of the oil fill tube. No, it should NOT have any oil in it.

This is likely an indication that your PCV valve is not functioning correctly, i.e., not pulling a vacuum in the crankcase. If you have not changed the PCV valve within the last 60K miles, it's probably time. On the HEMI, pull the valve (1/4 turn counter-clockwise and lift out) to verify it is internally clean and that the valve assembly "rattles" when shaken. After a while, the internal spring probably relaxes and the valve doesn't function correctly. The other engines tend to have them on the driver's side rear and just pull out.

I try to inspect mine every other oil change or when I empty the oil catch can.

They are $25-$30 for the HEMI (and much cheaper for the other engines), depending on where you buy. Should be a 15-min. fix.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.