05 Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 05 Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi won't start

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Amra

05 Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi won't start

Hi all!

I drove my 05 Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi on Sunday evening to the store and back without a problem. On Monday night I went to start it and it won't.

The dash lights come on like normal, fuel gauge goes up, seat moves to it's memory position and such. The headlights turn on bright just like they should. So I'm guessing it's not a battery issue.

The belt seems nice and tight and there are no fluids on the ground. It was dark at the time so I didn't spend much time on it. Tonight when I get home I'll check fuses. I'm totally guessing when I say I suspect the starter. There is no click-click-click or other "I'm trying to start" type noise. I turn the key and nothing.

Suggestions?

I live out in the county and the nearest shop is 30 minutes away and that is just a small one bay place. The local Jeep dealer was closed with the recent happenings.

Please tell me it's something simple a non-motorhead like me can fix!

Amra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
Podedwards
2007 JK Wrangler 

There is a service bulletin on the problem. It happened to mine. It is a relay staying open that needs to be replaced. When it's open it prevents the starting circuit from engaging (not the starter-the circuit). Call a dealer and ask or use ask a Jeep Mechanic on-line-well worth the money. It's no big deal, easy to replace and should be covered by the service bulletin and there should be no charge.

Don't let a shop replace the battery or alternator for this.
Unread 07-21-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
kudah

Possibly the security system is triggered, or the vehicle is not recognizing your key. Not even one click when you turn the key to start? Usually if the starter is bad it will click one time when the key is turned to start.

If the car is not recognizing the key there will be a red dot on the gauge cluster that is lit.
Unread 07-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
TiestoJeep
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudah View Post
Possibly the security system is triggered, or the vehicle is not recognizing your key. Not even one click when you turn the key to start? Usually if the starter is bad it will click one time when the key is turned to start.

If the car is not recognizing the key there will be a red dot on the gauge cluster that is lit.
My 05 Hemi has failed to start on many occassions. I have had my starter replaced as well as what the abover person stated. I guess the key was not recognized and they had to replace both keys and something in the ignition. Im sure the jeep dealer ripped me off, it was about $400.
TiestoJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
brentwoodkris
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podedwards View Post
There is a service bulletin on the problem. It happened to mine. It is a relay staying open that needs to be replaced. When it's open it prevents the starting circuit from engaging (not the starter-the circuit). Call a dealer and ask or use ask a Jeep Mechanic on-line-well worth the money. It's no big deal, easy to replace and should be covered by the service bulletin and there should be no charge.

Don't let a shop replace the battery or alternator for this.
Which service bulletin addresses this? Thanks.
brentwoodkris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #6
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Despite what you say, my money is on the battery.

I had the same issue a while back. Try to jump it. I bet that it will not jump. Check the voltage before, during, and after the jump attempt using a volt meter. I bet that you will find that there is some juice, but not enough.

This exact same thing happened to me in the XK in March '09. I put in a new battery, and has worked like a champ ever since.
Unread 10-16-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentman View Post
Despite what you say, my money is on the battery....... Try to jump it. I bet that it will not jump. Check the voltage before, during, and after the jump attempt using a volt meter. I bet that you will find that there is some juice, but not enough.....
X2. Agree with kentman, except to clarify that battery voltage is only one indicator. The voltage may be acceptable, but there may not be enough starting energy to both turn over the engine and power up the computer.

Get a battery capacity test if you are fortunate enough to start it and drive to a facility. If not, carry the battery in and they can test it quickly. If this is the original OEM battery, it's likely shot.

Thought you might get a charge out of this................
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
mailforjon
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amra View Post
Hi all!
I'm totally guessing when I say I suspect the starter. There is no click-click-click or other "I'm trying to start" type noise. I turn the key and nothing.
im not entirely sure that i would eliminate the starter as a possible culprit. do you hear one solid click and then nothing? usually the starter action is two-fold. first, the starter piston engages and "clicks" into position so that the teeth on the starter mesh with the flexplate/flywheel. second, the starter motor turns and thus turns the flywheel to engage the engine. ive had a starter that had a working piston, but did not engage. that's why i ask if you hear the first click but nothing after (i.e. no attempt to crank).

as mentioned above, a battery with insufficient cranking amperage may not provide enough juice to engage the starter fully.

-2005 WK 5.7 Limited [DD]
-1999 WJ 4.7 Limited [SOLD]
-1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited [SOLD]
-1996 ZJ 5.2 Laredo [SOLD]
-1994 ZJ 4.0 Laredo [SOLD]
-1993 XJ 2.5 [SOLD]
mailforjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #9
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailforjon View Post
im not entirely sure that i would eliminate the starter as a possible culprit. do you hear one solid click and then nothing? usually the starter action is two-fold. first, the starter piston engages and "clicks" into position so that the teeth on the starter mesh with the flexplate/flywheel. second, the starter motor turns and thus turns the flywheel to engage the engine. ive had a starter that had a working piston, but did not engage. that's why i ask if you hear the first click but nothing after (i.e. no attempt to crank).

as mentioned above, a battery with insufficient cranking amperage may not provide enough juice to engage the starter fully.
On my other cars, I would agree with you. However, there has been a rash of these no-start, no-response conditions on '05 WK's with original OEM battery. Symptoms seem to be consistent.

The engine will not crank or fire until the computer is fully-powered. To get there, it needs a minumum voltage (the exact value escapes me at this moment). If it doesn't read this minimum potential, it will not respond.

The other free check is to ensure that the battery leads and starter lead are firmly-connected and corrosion-free. This can be done if the battery is removed for a battery capacity test.

(Since I'm basically cheap, I normally start with the free and easy causes first.) My worth.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #10
Amra

Well, more than a year later and it's happened again.

Last year I had the starter replaced. Both Jeep dealers near me had been shut down so my only option was a local shop. They replaced the starter and it's been running great. Until Sunday.

I went to start it and nothing. No clicking, no engine noises at all. I checked the battery and it's got just over 12 volts. Suggestions?

One of the Jeep dealers did reopen so I'm going to call them. I tried to find service bulletins online but didn't have any luck.
Unread 11-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #11
brentwoodkris
2005 WK 

Last year mine was doing that all the time. This year, I just replaced the battery and am hoping for the best. By the time we get snow on the ground, I guess I'll know for sure. Although if memory serves me correct, when the weather was even as mild as this last year with a hard frost overnight, mine would have problems starting. Click, no crank type. Hopefully, like some other have stated, the battery fixed the problem!
brentwoodkris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
Amra

Yeah, seems like it's the battery. The voltage is good. But I hooked up a battery charger, set on 50A, and it starts. So it seems like I don't have enough cold cranking power. The battery is carquest, not sure if that is original or not (I'm the second owner). I can't even get the plugs out to see if there is water over the cells. They are plastic and just tear up. I even have distilled water for the job. It's charging now (on 10A) but I'll probably just buy a new one from Costco (cheapest place I've found).
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #13
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I figured that your issue was the battery.

I will note that my last Costco battery for the WJ was bad. It stranded me a time or two a few weeks after swapping it out. I figured out that the new battery was bad. I returned the Costco battery and got one from the local auto parts store. That one has worked fine for the last year straight.

As a result, I will not be doing Costco batteries anymore.
Unread 11-16-2010, 08:34 PM   #14
HurriJeff
2013 WK 

I hate to say it but I have been spending the extra bucks and getting the Diehard Gold because of the extended warranty. Funny thing is that I have never had to use the warranty on a Gold. They know its a better battery and offer a better warranty. With batteries I say , you get what you pay for. I put a couple of cheapo walmart batteries in my boat and they both failed in 14 months. WK's are extra sensitive to weak batteries so do yourself a favor and buy a good one.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #15
JGCL0215
2005 WK 

Mine was doing that last month. lights came on and gave no noise when trying to start. I went and got a new battery and it worked like a charm. My guess is that it is the battery as well. If your battery was the stock then it couldn't hurt to try that first since you will need a new battery soon anyway
JGCL0215 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.