05' GC 4.7L V8 - Post your MPG - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 05' GC 4.7L V8 - Post your MPG

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep parts, deals and more at JeepHut.comTJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" l

Unread 07-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
chillinhh

05' GC 4.7L V8 - Post your MPG

Recently, I purchased a 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8. Despite it having alot of miles on it (50,000), I'm liking it so far.

The thing is, I've browsed around the web and noticed some people getting horrible mileage on their jeeps, but they don't know why.

I have 30 days to take this car back, so i want to make sure everything is fine and it has no problems before making the final decision to keep it.

After researching for a couple of hours, i can't find any relevant answers for the gas mileage people are getting.

I haven't had a chance to test in-city yet. However, on a 30-45 minute highway drive, it was getting around 20.8 MPG.

So, post your in-city and highway gas mileage.

Please, don't post your averages, and keep this strictly to 05' Grand Cherokees with 4.7L V8s.

P.S. - This is my first car. Any tips? I checked the carfax, and all repairs were done at the jeep dealership I'm purchasing it from. Any things i should look out for?

chillinhh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
----

Just curious... Which dealer is this? I've never had a dealer offer a 30-day return policy on a motor vehicle. Thanks in advance!
---- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Did you buy a car or a Jeep, I'm confused
Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
(1) Guns (2) Women (3) Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
I was bored so I forded the river. No oxen were lost.
tennesseewj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
insmanblue

15 MPG-City 22 MPG-Hwy. 3400 miles
Unread 07-15-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
Barbossa
2005 WK 

15 to 17 mpg mixed city
20 to 22 mpg at 65 mph, pending wind
24 to 25 mpg at 55 mph, no wind, really ticking off the rest of the interstate traffic for a hundred or so miles

05 GC Laredo 4.7L - 94,000 miles
Barbossa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2008, 05:33 AM   #6
Eckhard
2005 WK 

20 at 60 mph. 2 people & 2 dogs

10 at 60 mph towing my 21 ft travel trailer.

13 on 2 mile drives in town
Unread 07-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
chillinhh

What if I'm getting 8-9mpg in town doing alot of stopping and starting. By the way, I'm using regular fuel.

Also, what are signs of transmission trouble? The jeep makes a weird noise when slowing down. It's almost like you can hear it popping into a lower gear.

I have a couple more days before i can return the jeep, so i need to make sure this is a keeper. ASAP!
Unread 07-23-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
Scottina06
2006 WK 

I have an 06 4.7 V8 with 20" wheels etc. We just drove from Berea, KY to Myrtle Beach, SC and I got 21 mpg's on the way there....with the AC on and various stops....loaded with me, wife, 13 yr old and 3 yr old and all our luggage etc. We drove a lot while there to various sites, restauranst etc. I just checked the EVIC and we averaged 17.8 for the entire trip....which included a mix of driving....ac on because it was over 100 degrees down there....stop and go traffic etc.
Scottina06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
outdoorlivin247
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinhh View Post
What if I'm getting 8-9mpg in town doing alot of stopping and starting. By the way, I'm using regular fuel.
My wife gets around 12 to 14 in town...But if I have to guess you are going off the info center info which is not very accurate b/c it shows about 8-9 for most of her driving...I check it every once in awhile and it is getting anywhere from 3 to 8 mpg better than the info center shows...So top it off and record your miles then refill and divide by the fuel used...
Unread 07-23-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
madmarchhare

Yeah right, Like I would love to get more that 12-18 MPG
I currently average about 12MPG driving to and from work (Highway and city)
I manage 18 if i am on a run.
I only wish I could manage 20 or more, that to me is like looking for BigFoot
madmarchhare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #11
Wiki-USMC

When she was stock, I was getting 12.5 (EVIC) around town with a lot of stop and go in 115 degree heat with AC blowing. I usually got around 19-21 on the highway at 60-65mph. Now with the lift and tires, I get about 11.5 in town and 18 on the highway.
Wiki-USMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #12
chillinhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki-USMC View Post
When she was stock, I was getting 12.5 (EVIC) around town with a lot of stop and go in 115 degree heat with AC blowing. I usually got around 19-21 on the highway at 60-65mph. Now with the lift and tires, I get about 11.5 in town and 18 on the highway.
Well, i filled her up and calculated the mileage. Unfortunately, i only got around 12mpg with mostly city. Wow, i knew it wouldn't get what the sticker claimed, but i expected a little better than this. How do you guys afford this?
Unread 08-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #13
chillinhh

By the way, everyone that posted your mileage, did you go by the evic reading or did you fill it, drive, fill it up again, and calculate?
Unread 08-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #14
BlueTJMCRT
2005 WK 

avg 13-14 city

avg 15-17 highway....

staying at idle kills it....keep er movin and it's a big difference......
Unread 08-22-2008, 10:23 PM   #15
chillinhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTJMCRT View Post
avg 13-14 city

avg 15-17 highway....

staying at idle kills it....keep er movin and it's a big difference......
According to EVIC or were the results calculated manually?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.