05 GC 4.7 Cylinder #5 Misfire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 05 GC 4.7 Cylinder #5 Misfire

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
pjtownsend76
2005 WK 

05 GC 4.7 Cylinder #5 Misfire

This might be long winded... This is an 05 GC with a 4.7 and 88k miles

Two thousand miles ago I had the local shop change out the spark plugs as part of the 90K mile service. A few weeks ago the CEL came on and I brought it back into the shop because it was popping codes 300 and 305 for cylinder #5 misfire. They changed out the spark plugs after I asked them with the OEM recommended copper core plugs. In addition they changed out the coil for the number 5 cylinder, all at their cost. Needless to say the CEL came back on.

The car now sits at the stealership because it is under warranty. They just called and said that the #5 cylinder failed the pressure check. Service rep states that the pressure is 90 psi. They had not got into the engine to see what is causing the pressure loss.

I have searched the forums and have not really seen what the most common cause is for this issue. I did see a few posts that said something about carbon build up on the valves.

What do you guys think? I am worried that the warranty will not cover it. You know how they operate.

pjtownsend76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
sammccorison

Typical issue with those are in the heads. Usually bad head gasket or possibly cracked head. One question I have is was it a constant dead miss or was it random. The 4.7 also was know for dropping rockers. Back when I worked for jeep wasnt uncommon at least once a month to have to replace a rocker or two.
sammccorison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
paroxysym
2007 WK 

its under warranty
Unread 08-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
pjtownsend76
2005 WK 

#5 cylinder exhaust valve was "bad" according to the message the dealership left. The warranty company is sending someone out to evaluate it. They have already asked for my maintenance records for the past year. Thanks for the advice guys. I'll let you know how bad the warranty company beats me up.
pjtownsend76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4.7 , misfire cyl , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.