'05 ESP Woes - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > '05 ESP Woes

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-09-2014, 12:05 AM   #16
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyjgc View Post
No, all WK's DO NOT have ESP. All 06's and up DO HAVE Traction control and ESP. All 05's have traction control, but ESP was optional that year. So if you can only turn off Traction Control that means you don't have ESP. My WK only has Traction Control and I have the build sheet to confirm it. My owners manual also states that Traction Control as standard and ESP as optional. Go to this link.... http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_whats_new.htm and scroll down to 2006. You will see that it states " Electronic Stability Program with Electronic Roll Mitigation and Brake Assist standard on all models". So those were not standard in 05.
ESP and DHS are basically the same thing(do the same job,different names).In the early WK's if you have the 5.7 you had DHS,all others had ESP till '06.

Unread 01-09-2014, 04:00 AM   #17
Blown7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
ESP and DHS are basically the same thing(do the same job,different names).In the early WK's if you have the 5.7 you had DHS,all others had ESP till '06.
Not sure what you typed there...
I never heard of DHS???

This link says that in 2005 ESP was a option on the Laredo
http://www.wkjeeps.com/2005_features_options.htm
Blown7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #18
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown7 View Post
Not sure what you typed there...
I never heard of DHS???

This link says that in 2005 ESP was a option on the Laredo
http://www.wkjeeps.com/2005_features_options.htm
WKs were supposed to get a Dynamic Handling System in 05 . It never happened .They delayed that until 06 , and still couldn't get it working properly so they dropped it all together.

As stated , in 05 it doesn't matter what system (s) you have , you can hold the button till your blue and the you cannot fully disable the system . I have ESP (build sheet) and have tried .
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #19
ttusqrl
2005 WK 

Agreed. All that said, you can disable it with your intune
Unread 01-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #20
muddyjgc
2005 WK 

Yea with all that said you still may or may not have ESP on your 2005. A build sheet will be you final answer. It looks like from reading the option package literature and brochures that if you have a Hemi or a Limited your chances are pretty good you have ESP. On a Laredo it had to be ordered. Also on all years if you disable Traction Control the "limited slip" feature always stays active. It also has different programming for low range. If you have ESP and it can be/is turned off it will still kick in during braking situations ant speeds over 30 mph.(I can't confirm that on 05's, but is the case on 06's+).

It is usually best to turn off Traction control/ESP in deep snow and mud where you need more wheel spin for traction. The TC will actually hinder you in that situation because its working too hard.

I don't have access to my build sheet right now but I do know that it did specifically list Traction control on mine but nothing about ESP. I have seen other peoples that have ESP and it is specifically listed.
muddyjgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #21
muddyjgc
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWagon1006 View Post

Well, nards. And how is that done? Just took a couple of passes with just pressing the TC button, and it went from bogging badly to barking the tires until the AWD kicks in.
That sounds like the traction control kicking in, not the ESP. AWD is always active.
muddyjgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #22
RedWagon1006
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyjgc
That sounds like the traction control kicking in, not the ESP. AWD is always active.
Yep, I figured, and I'm aware (and glad). It just surprised me that it was robbing that much power.
Unread 02-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #23
JeepKTMGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttusqrl View Post
Agreed. All that said, you can disable it with your intune
How do I do the "intune"? I have been searching on how to disengage the ESP on my 09 WK and it looks like I can't without pulling a fuse???
JeepKTMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.