05-06, 4.7L owners... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 05-06, 4.7L owners...

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-30-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
BIGNUTT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

05-06, 4.7L owners...

I need your impressions on your WK. I am looking at mainly Laredo 4.7L 4x4 models with 20-40k miles. I'll be using it as a DD and thats it.

I am just wondering how the 4.7L power and fuel economy is? Also I hear there have been tons of issues and TSBs on these Jeeps? (Use to my XJ reliability = maintenance and thats it)

Proud to be a Christian
BIGNUTT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2007, 11:14 PM   #2
coloradowk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNUTT
I need your impressions on your WK. I am looking at mainly Laredo 4.7L 4x4 models with 20-40k miles. I'll be using it as a DD and thats it.

I am just wondering how the 4.7L power and fuel economy is? Also I hear there have been tons of issues and TSBs on these Jeeps? (Use to my XJ reliability = maintenance and thats it)
06's are better than 05s thats for sure. The 4.7 is a decent engine for the WK. Has plenty of get up and go. However, the gas mileage sucks. . . its been awhile since I've had a WK that was stock so I can't remember the specific numbers but I think I was getting about 16 highway (which isn't THAT bad) and anywhere from 9-13 in the city.

Once lifted I get about 10 city and 14 highway (if I'm lucky and have a tailwind).

My 05 was a P.O.S in regards to everything as far as the engine--went through 2 valve cover gaskets and various things with the transmission like cooling lines and the rear main seal. The 07 has been lifted since day 1 and I have had zero mechanical issues with it other than minor stuff like the auto windows not working sometimes. Any mechanical problem has been related to my lift and they have all been minor and fixable.
coloradowk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
06limited4.7

4.7 opinions

I have a 2006 4.7 QTII limited. The power is more than adequate for the vehicles weight. The gas mileage is something to be desired with under 13 in the city sometimes below 10 and a maximum on the highway of 17. I bought the jeep used with 255's instead of the stock 235's so that might make somwhat of a difference. The only problem I have had is the passenger side window has a mind of it's own and I dont have the time to have the TSB performed. On a side not with a K&N filter only and a change to all Royal Purple lubricants except for the transmission I have seend a 1.5-2 mpg increase.
06limited4.7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
Scottina06
2006 WK 

I have an 06 4.7 and I average 15 city driving and 20 highway. the power is very nice and the torque is great. Not the 6.1....but nice and more than adequate for a daily driver.
Scottina06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
goose1

I have an 06 4.7 and the only thing that was wrong with it was the idle. After the first 1K miles or so it started idling roughly and you could see the RPM needle fluctuate from 450-550. I never got to take it to the dealer but it has stopped on its own and now idles at about 600 RPM. Other than that it is a great match for the vehicle. It has just enough power to move the Jeep without struggling. I have suggested it to my finds who are now looking at WKs as well.

2008 Jeep Patriot Sporkt (MK) 26E
2.4L, CVVTII, 2WD, Black Exterior, Dark Gray Interior
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
Laredo Man
2006 WK 

4.7 fuel milage

I bought my 06 GC with the 4.7 six weeks ago and have put over 4600 kilometers (2800 miles) on it since then. I have kept close track of my fuel mileage and here are the results. 16L per 100 km or 14.5 mpg in the city and 12L per 100 Km on the highway or 19.5 mpg. Due to it being summer, most of this is with the AC on. The highway mileage was taken while driving 120 Km per hour or 75 mph. I have compared the numbers on the computer to my own and the computer seems to be about 0.5L per 100 Km or around 10% better than my own numbers. Still, fairly acurate. I find these numbers quite aceptable given what this vehicle is truly capable of.
Laredo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2007, 02:59 PM   #7
anywaytothetop
2006 WK 

I have an 06 4.7 and have had zero problems with it. Stock I was getting 16 city and close to 20 highway. With it lifted 2 inches and bigger tires I get 14 city and high 17's freeway.
anywaytothetop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #8
iced_wk
2006 WK 

i have an 06 4.7 qdII limited. the engines definately got enough power to move. im getting about 15.5-16 mpg driving daily mostly city with some highway. id always like more power...but its certainly adequate for the vehicle.
iced_wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #9
ryanp

my wifes 06 WK Limited is great...plenty of power and gets 17mpg in the city and little over 22 on the highway. But we live in FL were its flat and hers is 2wd. I used to own a 00' WJ and these WK's are much nicer!!
ryanp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.