0321Nick's Build Thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 0321Nick's Build Thread

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Reply
Unread 07-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #46
0321Nick
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 648
Finally finished modifying my OME HD with Rusty's front and rear spacers. Also replaced my rear OME shocks with 28" long Bilstein 5125s.

Tipped it all off by installing Toyo Open Country AT IIs in 285/70s.

As it was stock (before the original OME HD):
image-557830042.jpg

As it is now after modifying my OME HD:
image-3534872019.jpg

__________________
KHAKI CLUB #65
2006 WK 4.7L V8 - Modified OME HD with Bilstein 5125s (28" length); JBA UCA; JKS Rear Discos; K&N CAI; PowerStop Discs; HyperTech; TOYO Open Country AT IIs 285/70/17; + some other goodies
0321Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #47
Jvenrick
Member
 
Jvenrick's Avatar
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 379
That looks fantastic!! Very clean. Love the rims.
What type of cb set-up do you have?
__________________
2007 Grand Cherokee Rocky Mountain Edition: 4.7L V8- QTII- Green- Mopar Recovery Hooks Front/Rear- 2in Rough Country lift- 265/70/17 Cooper discover AT3's- 1in BORA wheel spacers- Rola roof basket with extension- F-150 Monroe load levelers- Putco window vents- plasti-dipped wheels- Stillen rotors and pads- solid diff cover- N Dure tail light guards
Jvenrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #48
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!
 
Jeepforthewin's Avatar
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 2,075
Looks really good! Tires look beefy!
__________________
2010 JKU - Stock for now
2005 WK - 6" lift, 35" BFG's, a lot more (SOLD)
Jeepforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #49
0321Nick
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvenrick
That looks fantastic!! Very clean. Love the rims.
What type of cb set-up do you have?
I have the Cobra 75WSXT mounted to the Aspen Creek Offroad bracket behind the dash.
__________________
KHAKI CLUB #65
2006 WK 4.7L V8 - Modified OME HD with Bilstein 5125s (28" length); JBA UCA; JKS Rear Discos; K&N CAI; PowerStop Discs; HyperTech; TOYO Open Country AT IIs 285/70/17; + some other goodies
0321Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #50
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs, MO
Posts: 5,578
Looking good - what are your hub to fender measurements?
__________________
~Mike~

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #51
K9SAR
Member
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia
Posts: 161
Nice looking rig!
__________________
'06 Overland 5.7 Hemi / QDII / Silver WK Member #59, LED Backup lights, AEV Argent Pintlers, Floor liners. Gibson 3" Stainless Steel Exhaust, 6" Hybrid Superlift / OME lift, 6" JBA rear springs, JBA UCA's, 35x12.5/17 Goodyear MTR's, Steel Armadillo Rock Sliders, 4xGuard Bash Plates
K9SAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #52
craigbru
Jeep to the Core
 
craigbru's Avatar
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winside, NE
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Looking good - what are your hub to fender measurements?
I'm curious about this too. Especially considering those are 285's and you've still got quite a bit of clearance available.
__________________
Losias Technologies
craigbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #53
0321Nick
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Looking good - what are your hub to fender measurements?
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
I'm curious about this too. Especially considering those are 285's and you've still got quite a bit of clearance available.
22.5" in front

23" in rear
__________________
KHAKI CLUB #65
2006 WK 4.7L V8 - Modified OME HD with Bilstein 5125s (28" length); JBA UCA; JKS Rear Discos; K&N CAI; PowerStop Discs; HyperTech; TOYO Open Country AT IIs 285/70/17; + some other goodies
0321Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #54
craigbru
Jeep to the Core
 
craigbru's Avatar
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winside, NE
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0321Nick View Post
22.5" in front

23" in rear
Man, that's perfect. Thanks.
__________________
Losias Technologies
craigbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #55
BoraBora
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: McLean, VA
Posts: 554
Can you add some more details about what you did with the Rustys rear poly spacer? Did you cut it down? Remove the spring isolater? 1 strut spacer up front for each side? Great looking Jeep! Exactly what I'm doing to mine as soon as the rest of my parts arrive.
__________________
2006 Black WK, Modified OME HD ~3.5'', Bilstein 5100's, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Black JK Moabs, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, 7W Reverse LED's, tow hooks, 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill, Expanded sheet metal grill, ORT badge, Tail light guards, Firestik 3', Aux. input, Black housing headlights, Stingray roof basket, 2 Hella 500ffs on roof rack, 18% tint.
BoraBora is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #56
0321Nick
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoraBora
Can you add some more details about what you did with the Rustys rear poly spacer? Did you cut it down? Remove the spring isolater? 1 strut spacer up front for each side? Great looking Jeep! Exactly what I'm doing to mine as soon as the rest of my parts arrive.
I collaborated with Omelet a lot, but essentially:

My original OME HD was installed by a local custom shop. Did that for about 1.5 years. I had finally worn down my 265/70 Duratracs and decided I wanted to go up to "33's" i.e. 285/70.

This time I decided to do the install. Above the factory strut plate, I installed 1 Rusty's WK 1/4" spacer per side. Didn't need to do anything with the strut pack, just disconnected the steering knuckle, LCA, and the ball joint on the upper LCA.

In the rear, I installed the pair of 1.5" spring spacers Rusty's sells for the WK. I beveled the inside of them slightly and thoroughly lined them with WD40 before installing them where the lower spring isolated had been (I removed the isolater). This was the hard part for me due to having generic tools and the tight fit of the spacers.

I also installed JKS #2001 disconnects in the rear. I set the sway bar to 10 degrees when I installed the JKS links.

Last thing I put on was Rusty's adjustable track bar for the WK. fairly straight forward.

The issues I ran into: one of the frame bolt holes for the sway bar links was cross threaded and I had to tap out the hole (specialized tool purchase)

Both of my rear bump stop bolts were rusted in place after a certain point so I couldn't install a homemade spacer for them. I did get the bolts out a little, so I sprayed some foam insulation in the cups above the bump stops to keep them from rattling. It worked out, however, because I just went wheeling and I didn't hit the rear.
__________________
KHAKI CLUB #65
2006 WK 4.7L V8 - Modified OME HD with Bilstein 5125s (28" length); JBA UCA; JKS Rear Discos; K&N CAI; PowerStop Discs; HyperTech; TOYO Open Country AT IIs 285/70/17; + some other goodies
0321Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #57
WieSeL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0321Nick View Post

I collaborated with Omelet a lot, but essentially:

My original OME HD was installed by a local custom shop. Did that for about 1.5 years. I had finally worn down my 265/70 Duratracs and decided I wanted to go up to "33's" i.e. 285/70.

This time I decided to do the install. Above the factory strut plate, I installed 1 Rusty's WK 1/4" spacer per side. Didn't need to do anything with the strut pack, just disconnected the steering knuckle, LCA, and the ball joint on the upper LCA.

In the rear, I installed the pair of 1.5" spring spacers Rusty's sells for the WK. I beveled the inside of them slightly and thoroughly lined them with WD40 before installing them where the lower spring isolated had been (I removed the isolater). This was the hard part for me due to having generic tools and the tight fit of the spacers.

I also installed JKS #2001 disconnects in the rear. I set the sway bar to 10 degrees when I installed the JKS links.

Last thing I put on was Rusty's adjustable track bar for the WK. fairly straight forward.

The issues I ran into: one of the frame bolt holes for the sway bar links was cross threaded and I had to tap out the hole (specialized tool purchase)

Both of my rear bump stop bolts were rusted in place after a certain point so I couldn't install a homemade spacer for them. I did get the bolts out a little, so I sprayed some foam insulation in the cups above the bump stops to keep them from rattling. It worked out, however, because I just went wheeling and I didn't hit the rear.
What do you mean beveled in inside of the spacer? What's the reason for that? Going to do the same setup very soon so any input would be great
WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #58
0321Nick
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by WieSeL

What do you mean beveled in inside of the spacer? What's the reason for that? Going to do the same setup very soon so any input would be great
There is a round platform the lower spring isolator sits on/around. It's the rear 1.5" spacer replaces that isolator. It is a very tight fit. Part of the interior diameter of the spacer had a 90* edge on it. I rounded that down a bit (not super well to be honest) to help it get over the lip of that post/'spot where the isolator was'. Lots of WD40, a strong thin-ish pry bar (I used a trim pry bar) and at times jacking up the axle to us the weight of the vehicle to push down - and presto. I finally got them on.

In hind sight if I had a better way of beveling the inside, it may have gone smoother.
__________________
KHAKI CLUB #65
2006 WK 4.7L V8 - Modified OME HD with Bilstein 5125s (28" length); JBA UCA; JKS Rear Discos; K&N CAI; PowerStop Discs; HyperTech; TOYO Open Country AT IIs 285/70/17; + some other goodies
0321Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #59
WieSeL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 472
Ok I see. Thanks
WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 03:00 AM   #60
BoraBora
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: McLean, VA
Posts: 554
Hmm, still a bit confused. I'm having a shop install all of my modified OME. Are there any pictures of what you did? I'm guessing I have to mod the rear spacer before I give the items to the shop.
__________________
2006 Black WK, Modified OME HD ~3.5'', Bilstein 5100's, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Black JK Moabs, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, 7W Reverse LED's, tow hooks, 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill, Expanded sheet metal grill, ORT badge, Tail light guards, Firestik 3', Aux. input, Black housing headlights, Stingray roof basket, 2 Hella 500ffs on roof rack, 18% tint.
BoraBora is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.