Not a Jeep Owner Yet but Getting Close What do I get? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By azzkicker
  • 1 Post By mrsig

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-16-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Cubsfanforlife

Garage
Not a Jeep Owner Yet but Getting Close What do I get?

Hello Everyone. I have been looking for a Jeep for about 6 months and have wanted one my whole life. I am getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger but I am trying to figure out what works best for me. I am a teacher and want to spend the summers riding the trails. I am currently looking for an 03-06 Rubicon. What do you all think? How Much do I need to save up? Thanks for welcoming a newbie to the forum.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-16-2017, 07:27 PM
azzkicker
2007 WK 

Welcome to the forum! I'll let others answer about the price of a Rubicon, since I don't have one, but welcome.

Some general thoughts:

Stock is reliable (relatively). The farther you get from stock, the more you have designed your own reliability. I don't care what anybody says; lifting or creating more power is less reliable than stock. If you want to replace every single component with a stronger aftermarket one, you'll still miss something until it breaks.

Off-roading is expensive. The tougher the trails, or the faster you go, the more expensive it gets. A lead foot needs a gold wallet.

The more you can fix yourself the cheaper it gets.

Stock rubicons with an aggressive tread are deceptively capable. You won't be a youtube star, but you'll get more places than you might imagine.

My dad always said he never sold a rig that didn't need sold. That's not to say you can't buy a good used rig, but expect to find out early all the stuff the previous owner didn't want to take care of while they were planning to buy another one. It may seem worse than it is at first.

You shouldn't go wheeling alone, at least until you've learned everything it takes to get yourself out. At least take a mountain bike. 20 miles of gravel is a day's walk, or a 2 hour ride. Around where I go, a .45 and $100 will get you a ride to town, a rescue, or both. Just the hondo might do it, but you risk losing it.

Since you shouldn't wheel alone, maybe you should try to find guys that go wheeling in your area, then ask them where to get a good used rig. Just a thought; I've never tried that method but it sounds good. Another method is to find an offroad shop and go talk to them. If they're not nice, find a different one.

If you're married, take your wife to look at really nice, expensive new rigs. Act like you're thinking about saving up for that. Then, when you find a used one for half that, she'll be trying to talk you into it. Caution: I've been divorced once. My new wife and I don't share finances, so take my advice at your own risk.

Good luck! I like teachers, and I like jeeps, so I'm rooting for you.
Cubsfanforlife likes this.

07 WK 5.7 QD2, 4" lift, 33X10" tires, M8000s
ARB twin air,Dual AGM group 49, sliders and skids
post #3 of 6 Old 02-17-2017, 01:45 AM
mrsig
2007 JK Wrangler 

and enjoy the forum! Good luck on your search!
Cubsfanforlife likes this.

07 JKU To see mods & my Jeep in Action @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.

post #4 of 6 Old 02-17-2017, 06:02 PM
Cpwilly

Welcome! Tj is the way to go!
post #5 of 6 Old 02-18-2017, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Cubsfanforlife

Garage
Thank you so much. Very Helpful Information. I appreciate the time you took to reply.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-18-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Cubsfanforlife

Garage
Thank you all so much. I have actually never been active in a forum before and it looks like I have no idea what I am doing when I want to reply to others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.