New member. Recently bought a 93 Wrangler Sahara.
I've been wanting a YJ and got pretty much the model I've been looking for. A 95 would have been preferable though. As you know, you dont see many manual 6 cylinders for sale.
Here is a picture for when you are allowed to see it:
Bought it as mostly trail truck but will drive it around town a little. I live about 1.5 hours from the Badlands in Indiana so I hope to be making a trip in the next couple weeks.
- Sahara - love the looks and color, gauge package, nice rollbar pads, power steering, larger gas tank
- 4" lift (looks like 4" , maybe 3.5")
- Pretty new 33" BFG MT's on steelies, low miles on the lift and tires.
- 4.0, Manual Trans
- 128k miles
- Hard top, full doors
- Stereo and speakers that dont impress me but maybe I can sell them. It has the upper sound bar and additional 6x9s mounted in boxes on the rear wheel wells.
- Fog lights
- Mirrors relocated to windshield frame
- Body is in good shape and mostly rust-free
- K&N intake assembly - I will probably try to find a stock one and get rid of the K&N
- GM 88-98 tow hooks - the same ones on my daily driver 98 K1500 ftw!
- Solid exhaust, Flowmaster muffler
- Got a good deal on it
- Everything works great except as noted below
- The guy I bought it from traded a work truck for it, only owned it for a couple months and didnt know much about it.
- Titles says odometer is "Not Accurate" which could effect resale values.
- Transfer Case is lowered instead of a SYE
- Rust hole in floor and on one fender
- Rust bubbling around windsheild
- No spare tire or carrier
- Looks like leaky power steering, guy said he replaced some lines.
- Speedometer/odometer doesnt work. He said just recently this started, and the title confirms that about 1000 miles has passed in the three months he's owned it.
- Temp gauge doesnt work, I checked the radiator, hose, and head temps with a laser thermometer and they were all around 190.
- Broken Center console
- Lift is Fabtech - did a search and it doesnt seem to be the best. Ride sure is stiff and bouncy.
- No winch, open diffs
- DIRTY engine bay and interior. Carpet is gross and probably not salvagable.
- little bumper loop things removed from rear
- small crack in transfercase tailhousing - it appears I can just unbolt it and replace it
Still Unsure about
- Gear ratios
- Engine power and sound - I dont have experience with Jeeps so I dont know how to gauge engine feel, engine seems noisy, but no knocking or anything, I think the K&N thing is loud.
- Do hard top jeeps not have dome lights??
- I thought a/c was standard on Saharas?
- Has black fender flares, I thought Saharas were body colored?
- Three steering stabilizers seem excessive.
I know my way around 4x4 trucks OK, but Jeeps are new to me. I have been a subscriber to FOUR WHEELER since before I had a drivers license LOL.
I can post more pics using a real camera after I get it properly cleaned up. I'll be looking around on the forum to see if I can get some answers, but I may still have some questions. Im new to this forum, but I've been on many before, so I know to search first.
- I already removed stickers
- Clean clean clean
- Fix speedo and temperature gauge
- Remove chrome
- Herculine interior
- Get a spare tire and wheel
- Fix floorboard hole
- Wire brush and undercoat frame and underbody
- Get alignment checked
- Rear bumper with spare tire mount
- Winch and front bumper
- Bikini Top
- Explorer rear axle, locked up and geared
- Manual Hubs
- Lockable center console
- Trailer to pull the Jeep with my truck
Thanks guys. Suggestions and comments welcome.