new and looking to buy my first jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Introductions > new and looking to buy my first jeep

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
CapnCuddlyBunny

new and looking to buy my first jeep

Hey, so, I'm new here.
i'm 18 and am looking to purachase a jeep.
i have a lot of questions.
1) what is the best make and year to buy a jeep? (i don't mean to start any controversey) and if you could, explain to me why theyre the best.
2) what is the difference between a (wrangler) rubicon, cj, tj, and all other models of wrangler there are?
3) what are some common problems with jeeps?
i also plan on offroading in my jeep so i'll need some tips on what to and not to look for in that area.
as i said before, i'm 18 and im broke so i'm also looking for the cheapest model that will hold together the longest.
thanks!!

CapnCuddlyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

1.) It's subjective. people prefer what they prefer. If you asked me, I like the TJ because it is not as difficult to maintain as a JK and not as uncomfortable as a YJ or CJ. TJ's are the happy medium in that regard.

2.) -CJ's are the grand daddy of them all. They are what made Jeep Big. if its old and got round head lights and looks similar to a wrangler...its most likely a CJ.
-YJ (1989-1996) is the product of brand management by Chrysler when they bought out AMC/Eagle. They had the Jeep Brand but wanted to make it unique and Chrysler-esqu. The lowered the stance, installed track bars for some reason, offered a couple different trim levels, and made the interior far cushier than its CJ predecessor. Still capable and still Jeep, It was the first and only Wrangler to have square head lights.
-TJ (1997-2006) Is the response from Diamlar/Chrysler to calls for a more capable wrangler. Out with the leaf springs and in with the Coils. The Round head lights came back, and the interior, while even cushier than before, maintained its utility. (in 05 and 06 they offered the TJ unlimited, otherwise known as LJ with a longer wheelbase.)
-JK (2007-present) The current model is set to be replaced in the 2016 model year. but for now its what you see everywhere. 4 doors or two. All of them had the 3.8L "minivan" engine until late 2011 when they started being fit with the new, more powerful and more economical 3.6L Pentastar V6.

3.) Common problems usually tend to depend on how you drive it. most of the newer wranglers that dont get beaten on the trails suffer from minor electrical problems but nothing terrible. but if you use it, or most of all, abuse it; broken axles, body damage, blown tires, U-Joint failure, Cracked windshield. all of these examples seem to transcend all the wrangler body styles from CJ-TJ. and the electrical issues seem to plague the JK's more than anything else from what I've seen.

there is no cheapest model. Be prepared to break out the Benjamin's no matter which model you go with, especially if you plan on doing some wheeling. I drive a YJ because they are tough as nails when properly maintained, dirt simple to fix out on the trail with a basic tool box and know-how. Not to mention that plenty are for sale so you wont have a hard time finding one (or two if you decide to buy a donor for parts lol)

CJ's are the same way as the YJ's but they are becoming increasingly difficult to shop for as time goes on. TJ's and JK's are still new enough that vendors feel comfortable raping people on prices for replacement parts.

Thats just my opinion. Im sure everyone else here has completely different things to say on this issue.
Ive typed enough. sorry.

Good luck with the search and welcome to the forum!

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
dooboy2112
2000 WJ 

Welcome to JF.
dooboy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum!!!!

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
LTGreek
2013 JK Wrangler 

Buy stock!!!! Go wheeling stock and learn from OTHER people's mistakes.

I am assuming that you are using it for work and school. Also, stock has the best gas mileage and it will be much cheaper to replace the tires, since you are buying a cheap used jeep, you might have to.

A lifted jeep looks awesome, but if you don't know what you are looking at, you could end up with a YJ with a 3in homemade body lift made from hockey bucks.

Don't forget to BUY STOCK!!!
LTGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
LTGreek
2013 JK Wrangler 

Make sure you drive a lot of jeeps, so you know the difference between a good driving jeep and one that has death wobble.

Good luck kid! I hope you don't make the same mistakes I did!!!

It tooks me 10 months to find the right jeep at the right price.
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
SiegeMachine
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I was in a similar boat last year when in the market for a jeep. Just keep an eyes out for a good deal, and bring a “jeep” guy with you.
good luck and good hunting
-matt

ps can you drive a stick?
SiegeMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My advice get one as close to stock as possible. That way you don't have to undo other peoples ****ups. I say you get yourself a YJ. Not only because thats what I drive but because it is one of the cheapest models to maintain and upgrade. Get one in the 92-95 range. They will come with fuel injection high output motors (same as the TJ). I prefer my carb tho. Its simplicity that im after. But to each his own.

A TJ would be nice but again I am not a fan of the added complexity and cost of a coil spring suspension. I'm old school.

Either way welcome to the forum and have fun with whatever you get. (except a JK, don't even try that one)

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
CapnCuddlyBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
1.) It's subjective. people prefer what they prefer. If you asked me, I like the TJ because it is not as difficult to maintain as a JK and not as uncomfortable as a YJ or CJ. TJ's are the happy medium in that regard.

2.) -CJ's are the grand daddy of them all. They are what made Jeep Big. if its old and got round head lights and looks similar to a wrangler...its most likely a CJ.
-YJ (1989-1996) is the product of brand management by Chrysler when they bought out AMC/Eagle. They had the Jeep Brand but wanted to make it unique and Chrysler-esqu. The lowered the stance, installed track bars for some reason, offered a couple different trim levels, and made the interior far cushier than its CJ predecessor. Still capable and still Jeep, It was the first and only Wrangler to have square head lights.
-TJ (1997-2006) Is the response from Diamlar/Chrysler to calls for a more capable wrangler. Out with the leaf springs and in with the Coils. The Round head lights came back, and the interior, while even cushier than before, maintained its utility. (in 05 and 06 they offered the TJ unlimited, otherwise known as LJ with a longer wheelbase.)
-JK (2007-present) The current model is set to be replaced in the 2016 model year. but for now its what you see everywhere. 4 doors or two. All of them had the 3.8L "minivan" engine until late 2011 when they started being fit with the new, more powerful and more economical 3.6L Pentastar V6.

3.) Common problems usually tend to depend on how you drive it. most of the newer wranglers that dont get beaten on the trails suffer from minor electrical problems but nothing terrible. but if you use it, or most of all, abuse it; broken axles, body damage, blown tires, U-Joint failure, Cracked windshield. all of these examples seem to transcend all the wrangler body styles from CJ-TJ. and the electrical issues seem to plague the JK's more than anything else from what I've seen.

there is no cheapest model. Be prepared to break out the Benjamin's no matter which model you go with, especially if you plan on doing some wheeling. I drive a YJ because they are tough as nails when properly maintained, dirt simple to fix out on the trail with a basic tool box and know-how. Not to mention that plenty are for sale so you wont have a hard time finding one (or two if you decide to buy a donor for parts lol)

CJ's are the same way as the YJ's but they are becoming increasingly difficult to shop for as time goes on. TJ's and JK's are still new enough that vendors feel comfortable raping people on prices for replacement parts.

Thats just my opinion. Im sure everyone else here has completely different things to say on this issue.
Ive typed enough. sorry.

Good luck with the search and welcome to the forum!
thank you SOOOO MUCH! that helped a lot!
i did a LOT of research, and found out that i want a tj.
but how do i tell if it has body damage or something while driving it?
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
CapnCuddlyBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTGreek View Post
Make sure you drive a lot of jeeps, so you know the difference between a good driving jeep and one that has death wobble.

Good luck kid! I hope you don't make the same mistakes I did!!!

It tooks me 10 months to find the right jeep at the right price.
death wobble? D: what's that??
Unread 07-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCuddlyBunny View Post
thank you SOOOO MUCH! that helped a lot!
i did a LOT of research, and found out that i want a tj.
but how do i tell if it has body damage or something while driving it?
Glad to hear a decision has been made. I know a lot of extremely happy TJ owners out there, and I think it's a great vehicle to start with.

as for damage, you're looking for body damage: rust, dents, dings, paint fade (if you're concerned about paint.)

(Side bar: be vigilant and take your time looking for rust. That **** spreads like cancer. A little surface rust where the paint is chipped is one thing, but if its flaking off and getting everywhere, or if there is severe deterioration of the frame, thank the owner for his/her time and take a walk. Not worth it.)

The most important thing you can look for is wether your prospective TJ has a bent/twisted frame. Things get difficult with a bent frame. (Hard tops don't fit right, hood latches don't line up. Added stress on the body. Yah. It blows.)

But yah that's pretty much what you are looking for as far as damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCuddlyBunny View Post
death wobble? D: what's that??
Okay...death wobble is the cause of 90 percent of **** stained pants within the jeep community.

Think of when you go to the grocery store and you see the shopping cart wheels up front getting all squirrelly and ****. That is a very very basic form of death wobble.

I'm not nearly smart enough to thoroughly explain this phenomenon. I'm just dumb enough to know when I have it. Lol. Here is some literature on the subject:

Death wobble and How to fix it.

Also, here is an example of death wobble:

http://youtu.be/axjwDPFYFmc
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Don't be terrified of this. Nobody has actually died from death wobble, you just feel like you're going to die. No big. This is not an uncommon subject. This forum is packed with threads about death wobble. Just do a search and you should be satisfied with the wealth of knowledge here.

Just be on your P's and Q's and keep your rig properly maintained, and you should avoid this issue.

-Billy

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Welcome to the site

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
LTGreek
2013 JK Wrangler 

People have gotten severely hurt from death wobble. If you go to a review site for jeep wranglers, you sill see very low scores for suspension. Death Wobbles can come and go, and people have ran in to medians on the highway, because of it. It's a persistent problem with any vehicle with a solid front axle suspension, hence the reason pick up trucks and majority of other SUVs have switched to independent suspension.
Unread 07-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #14
LTGreek
2013 JK Wrangler 

The scores are low because jeep wranglers are very popular with people that use them like a mini-van, aka soccer moms.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.