New dutchguy with a cj7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Introductions > New dutchguy with a cj7

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 07-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
EdwinnnCJ7
1977 CJ7 

New dutchguy with a cj7

Hello jeepers!

First off.. excuse me for my bad language skills.

Let me introduce myself:
My name is Edwin van den Beld. I'm a joung engineering student from Holland, that's why my English grammar is so poor.

One and a half year ago i bought myself a cj7, before that i used to drive a Suzuki samurai. I believe you call it a sidekick?! I really love going off-road but a Suzuki isn't strong/big enough i've you ask me. And my love for a real jeep was already there. But the problem was the money. But when i saw the jeep was for sale i couldn't resist to go and take a look.

The cj didn't run for almost 5/6 years and when i got there there we couldnt start it. But the rest looked fine.. no rotten places, it had doors and it had a hardtop. Somewhat of a roof is a must around here with all that rain.. Besides that the cj was a virgin... i mean nothing was changed about it it was completely standard. I like that, this way i can change the car the way i want and i don't have to fix the **** the last owner did wrong. So i took a gamble and decided to make an offer on it for a lot less then it was offered on the internet. Because the car didn't run the guy accepted my offer and a was the new owner of a cj7.

There was only one problem, the car was in Belgium (country next to holland) and because it didn't run we had to pick it up on the back of a truck and dropped it off at home. A friend of mine told me to clean the carb and change the battery and just had to watch what happend i've i started it. I was pretty releaved when it started right away. The engine was running great and everything worked.

Because the petrol is really expensive here in Holland i decided to build in an lpg tank. The LPG tank replaced the original petrol tank. This way i could still build in a backseat and not loose the room because of the tank.

Also i thought the jeep was riding to low sow i added a 4" leaf lift kit, bought new mud tyres (33"x12.5R15 Zairelli extreme forest) and i added a 4.5T winch.

After those adjustments i took the car to an offroad track.. and i loved it my god what a power. And remember i was used to an 1.6L samurai, so this was one hell of a change. After that day one thing was sure... i could never go back from a jeep to a samurai.

After the offroad experience i noticed the body was to low. So i made and added a 2" bodylift. And because the cj was so deamn heavy i got rid of the hardtop and bought a besttop softtop.
The last thing i did was replacing the axles. It had the small track axles and i wanted the wide track. When a asked around who had those axles for sale i found somewhone who had a dana 30 wide track front axle and a dana 44 wide track axle. I bought them and installed them. Also changed the ring/gear ratio to 4.10. When they were installed i had to place rugged ridge 6" fender flares. Otherwise the tires would be to far outside the car and the police likes to give big fines for that.

Soo.. that sorta rounds up the story of me and my cj7. Sorry for the long post!! Time for some pictures!

The way i bought it, no lift competely standard (ok besides the 33" tires)

Picking up the jeep on the back of a truck:

Jeep versus the Suzuki

Currently i am designing a heavy duty offroad front bumper, one of my hobby's

Last edited by EdwinnnCJ7; 07-13-2012 at 08:00 AM..
EdwinnnCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
EdwinnnCJ7
1977 CJ7 

First time offroad:

Unread 07-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Great pictures,Welcome.

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
EdwinnnCJ7
1977 CJ7 

Thank you
Unread 07-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nice Renegade, Edwin!

Welcome to the forum.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.