Hello from Cape Crud Mass !!! ** pic heavy ** - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Introductions > Hello from Cape Crud Mass !!! ** pic heavy **

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
crunky
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hello from Cape Crud Mass !!! ** pic heavy **

After many years of good service i have decided that it was time for a change with my 2003 Nissan Xterra, it needed some work and i wanted to make it a bit more offroad capable.....

/

So I traded it in on a 99 TJ !!!

Meet Peachy !
( I've been told every Jeep has to have a name )
It's got 100k on it, and it's in current state of some attention from people that actually drive jeeps.
It's got a 4 inch lift and it's on 35's. The lift is some " kit " that anyone can buy out of the catalog and with home depot tools can have a big lifted jeep on big tires.
Ugh 35's on stock 3.07's.... who the eff does that ?

It's only been in Massachusetts two months according to the carfax and my title, and if you're not familiar with New England weather combined with the salt and chemicals they use on our roads you're lucky !! I couldn't get over how clean this thing truly is... I have been looking at TJ's and Cherocars for months now and have seen 2004's with rot. I couldn't say no. Even if I decide to put it on jack stands and cut her off at the knees I still have a super clean little sahara that I'm into comfortably. Screw dealing with rusty bolts and breaking stuff.
well, breaking stuff will come later. lol

The lift is a hodge podge, it's either rough country or rancho lol. Complete with typical jeep sag, It's got aftermarket front lower control arms, and the rest are stock. It's also got a transfer drop as opposed to a sye.

I didn't buy it for the pretty jeep on big tires, I know it needs attention. The thing is just so clean and the deal was right for my Xterra, that even if I rip all the lift and tires off it and return it to stock, I still have a really clean 99 sahara that would be exempt from emissions testing next year.

First in the lineup of mods and repairs was to get it off those 35's. I went down to 33's on a 7.5 inch rim as opposed to 10.5

my old tires and wheels.

Buddy Von Dude-O from Craigslist wheel and tires.

Going from this....

To this....

It was hard to see those pretty wheels go, but i really like the new look !!!

It was then time to address the twitchy steering. I had been advised that my Jeep had a drop pitman arm on it and that I should go to a stock unit.

Pic of the front head on when I got it... notice the hangulations of the track bar vs drag link.

after installing factory pitman arm.

That really helped with the way my jeep went down the road. No more twitchy bump steer much more bettera angles on the steericulational parts.
I even adjusted the steering wheel to center, Holy cow that bugged me !

Then one thread caught my eye at WF. and it started the addiction to a very addictive habit...

Plasti-Dippin !

Then I was having an issue with a chirping sound coming from the front end somewhere. So today I took the wheel off and noticed that the mounting ledges where the brake pads slide had some pretty nasty notches in them that the pads were getting hung up in, and they would drag slightly...
causing that " cheap cheap cheap " sound that would go away when tapping the brakes. ( common in cherocars )

I found that the initial shock of the issue wasn't that bad...

--

dressed them off with a file and some paint...

---

they are not 100% but they are ten times better.

Gotta love cheap fixes !!!

She's coming along quite swell... Long road to go, but it's a hobby.

Inputs and comments welcome, Just be nice ahahaa !!!

crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
GTP231
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Super clean TJ!! I may have a pack of the shims for the brake problem floating around somewhere. If I do you're welcome to them
GTP231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
dooboy2112
2000 WJ 

Welcome to JF.
dooboy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
Mporter22
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I like the look of the new wheels. They remind me of the wheels on a 47 willys we used I own!
Mporter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Great looking TJ!

Tony

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
crunky
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
Super clean TJ!! I may have a pack of the shims for the brake problem floating around somewhere. If I do you're welcome to them
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I don't think I need them just yet.

Thanks all for the compliments, it's been fun so far and I can't wait to continue with the attention it deserves.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Nice TJ! I like the new look a lot better. Actually looks like you can wheel it now. Too bad wheeling in MA is prettymuch nonexistent.

Those steering angles were horrendous! I'm surprised you didn't have worse problems.

I totally know what you mean with the salt, being about 3 hours north of you. When I picked up my 98 ZJ in Vermont I couldn't believe how clean it was (nobody else can either). I have one quarter-sized hole starting in one of my rear fender wells that I plan on patching (the right way). Not bad considering most anything around 10+ years old up here is a rot box. Also you're lucky your emissions only goes back 15 years! One of the few good things about living n the Communistwealth.
Unread 09-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
I Jeep II
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum! Nice looking TJ...much better now that you got rid of the 35's (IMO)
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum and to the Jeep addiction. Love the mods you've made so far.
I will watch for you on the south shore if you ever cross the bridge!
BlkOpsRubi is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.