JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f65/)
-   -   Ford fan but I will own a jeep too (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f65/ford-fan-but-i-will-own-jeep-too-1764809/)

Fordandjeep92 11-06-2013 02:39 PM

Ford fan but I will own a jeep too

My names nick, I'm a ford fan but I seen a 97 jeep grand cherokee and I was like that's nice. The last grand cherokee we had was a 01. It drove fine but the engine started knock which jeeps are notorious for it drove say about a couple of months later than the transmission started slipping. Till one day it went south and started knocking terribly. It wasn't lifted just put that out there. Drove it up the street and then it cut off. When we cut it back on the motor would just make the most horrible knocks ever. We drove it back home and we knew it was seized up. So I've been searching for a daily driver play toy. I know you guys heard of uwharrie trail in North Carolina. I always liked off-roading but I was mainly in too mudding but one day my sister and her boy friend took me to uhwarrie in his 9 inch lifted cherokee it's sitting on 35s as of now a couple of days later his did the same engine gave out.I just fell in love with rock crawling from that day on. So I was like alright I'm getting a ford I started looking at the broncos I don't like the second generations cause their too damn big and I don't like how they curved the back of the top for it. So I went to the third generation they look pretty good but they go down hill from their cause they got the ttb which is always hated on cause their hard to allighn and their weak for rock crawling. So I went to the explorer which is basically a jeep but different looks I'm talking about the ones with ttb up front or the ifs. If you just take the front out and put a solid axle in your flexing like jeeps from kingdom come. But I was like man that's going to take a lot of money which I don't have so I went to the ranger which I like same results but I hope to have the explorer, ranger and grand cherokee all one day. But I got a question is the 97 grand Cherokees going to blow up or seize up just like the others? I'm not hating their all the same I'm a die hard ford fan but hell I will own a jeep.

Nick05 11-06-2013 03:20 PM

depends on the motor and maintenance. your 01 grand had a defected head on it this is prone to cracking, the 97 will not have said head. the two motor options on a 97 is the 4.0 inline 6 and the 5.2 v8. both have their ups and downs. if it has the transfer case without the 2wd option, be prepared for money down the road. if you search for "0331" and "249 transfer case" you will see what i mean. comin from another nick with a 97 grand, welcome to the site

Fordandjeep92 11-06-2013 03:38 PM

Thanks man you ever own a ford

dooboy2112 11-06-2013 04:17 PM

Welcome to JF.

Nick05 11-06-2013 05:15 PM

yeah, i had a 87 f150. it was in pretty bad when i bought it and i know i wasn't easy on it. if i started cussin it, it would shake til i sweet talked it. if it thundered, it would shudder. funniest truck i have ever driven.

Fordandjeep92 11-06-2013 06:05 PM

Hey buddy I got a question man does the 97 have all time 4wd that's what I heard. Or is it 2wd until you shift it in 4wd
Cause I'm interested in buying one.

Fordandjeep92 11-06-2013 06:10 PM

Do the 97s have manual 4wd or are they 4wd all the time? Cause I'm interested in buying one

Nick05 11-06-2013 06:48 PM

you can get them either way. the 249 transfer case only has 4wd high neutral and 4 lo. mine has the 242 case, it has 2wd, 4 hi locked, 4 hi unlocked, neutral and 4 lo. the 249 case is actually stronger by what i have been told, but has a flaw. there is a piece called a vicious coupler that has a tendency to go out around 15000 miles, but can last longer. to replace the part is about $300~ which is about the same as puttin a different transfer in. if you do get one, feel free to ask questions after you search, and post pics. we were all newbs once.

Fordandjeep92 11-06-2013 07:12 PM

Thanks for the help man, I was told all time 4wd sucks and part times more traditional.

Nick05 11-06-2013 07:26 PM

somethin like that

Fordandjeep92 11-07-2013 01:49 PM

I'm sorry to keep bothering you man one last question. People keep telling me it's not made for off-roading like the Cherokees. Is this true? And they said its a family SUV unlike Cherokees. Is that also true? Don't they have the same off-road capabilities? Or are they right or are they just hard core cherokee fans and don't know what their talking about?

Nick05 11-07-2013 05:27 PM

the grand cherokee is just as capable, but is more of a luxury vehicle as far as all the creature comforts it has. here is a link of what they look like lifted http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/l...-pics-1089263/. if anyone doubts, show them that link. the main difference between the grand cherokee and cherokee besides looks and the bigger engine in the grand is the grand has coils on the back axle while the cherokee has leaf springs and the grand has a chrysler tranny where the cherokee has a aw4(basically a toyota)tranny.

Nick05 11-07-2013 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
btw, this was my old ford

kensnelling 11-07-2013 07:13 PM

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Ken

Fordandjeep92 11-10-2013 06:24 PM

Hey man we got a engine for the grand cherokee and we got all the stuff out of the way and took the header off to make it easier to pull out the engine with the engine hoist. We found out the problem a piston shattered and the connecting rod was hitting the cylinder wall that's why it was making that noise. But we couldn't fix it because the connecting rod made a gash in the cylinder wall. The gash was to big to bore out because the header bolt holes would be in the way. And the piston metal shavings probably all in the engine block so some time this week were going to pull the engine out and put in the one we got from a car lot I think they was using it for parts it wasn't wrecked.

The time now is 04:21 AM.