Finally realizing my dream - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Introductions > Finally realizing my dream

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 09-16-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
Katshot

Finally realizing my dream

Just bought my first Jeep and love it. It's a '05 Wrangler. Anything I need to keep an eye on?
Things I've noticed:
1. For the first couple hundred miles, I smelled gear oil REAL strong when accelerating. Didn't really smell it during cruising. Had the dealer check it out and they said the differentials were both over-filled. Since then, the smell is much less but sometimes still there. Any ideas?

2. The engine seems to rap quite a bit especially as revs are increased. Any ideas?

Looking forward to adding some proper lighting but probably not much else. Anybody have advice about fog and driving lights? I think I want both.

Katshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 05:54 AM   #2
JeepinSoldier
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hey Katshot,

Welcome to the forum! Im still kind of new myself but I am sure you will like it here.

Which engine do you have in your Wrangler? The 4 or the 6? Both engines usually sound a little diffrent from the average passenger car engine, but if it is really tapping I would watch the oil pressure gauge and take it back to the dealer to get checked under warranty.

As for lights, if you want fog and driving without two sets of lights on your Jeep check out the IPF 968 combination light.

Good luck with your Jeep!
Unread 09-19-2005, 07:33 AM   #3
xxxflhrci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katshot
Just bought my first Jeep and love it. It's a '05 Wrangler. Anything I need to keep an eye on?
The gas gauge. It goes down quickly.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2005, 06:30 AM   #4
tado

welcome to the forum katshot!
tado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2005, 12:02 AM   #5
JeepXJSB

Welcome to JeepForum.com

[B][COLOR="White"][SIZE="2"]l[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B] [URL=http://www.jeepchat.net][B][SIZE=2] [color=#FFCC00][FONT="verdana"]JeepChat.net[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/URL] [B][COLOR="White"][SIZE="2"]l[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B] [URL="http://jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/default.asp"][B][COLOR="Lime"]JeepinOutfitters[/COLOR][/B][/URL] [B][COLOR="White"][SIZE="2"]l[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR="White"]l [/COLOR][/B][URL="http://www.frappr.com/jeepforum"][B][COLOR="Blue"]Locate JeepForum Jeepers[/COLOR][/B][/URL] [B][COLOR="White"]l[/COLOR][/B]
[/CENTER]
JeepXJSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2005, 11:09 AM   #6
Katshot

Thanks guys!
I have the I6 engine and manual trans in my Jeep. I have been told that is the best drivetrain to get, and besides, I usually get the most powerful engine in any car/truck I buy and I think a vehicle like this NEEDS a manual trans. Kinda like a sports car.
JeepinSoldier,
I checked out the IPF lights. They look real good. Do you have them? I think I'd also like to go with the headlamp conversion kits so I can get rid of the sealed beams and use H4 bulbs.
Does anybody have any ideas about other (maybe better) vendors for the headlamps conversions?
Unread 09-23-2005, 01:06 PM   #7
TJVigilante
Web Wheeler

I wish I knew about the H4 conversion before I bought my silverstars. They're bright, but their pattern is weak. Maybe I just need them adjusted. for H4, IPF has the best kit out there and it's a killer price. For brighter light you can talk to OmanJeep about an HID conversion, but that's around a grand for everything.

Congrats on the Jeep, and I myself have realized my dream of Jeep ownership. I bought mine 2 months ago and I can't tear myself away from it until I see how much I'm paying for gas. Let's get some pics up of your new rig!!
TJVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2005, 05:17 PM   #8
GITOVRT

Hi Katshot,

The only negative thing I've noticed is a constant leak in the gas tank or line. Stomp on it a few times and you can watch it drop!

[COLOR=Green]Go[/COLOR] [COLOR=Yellow]Packers![/COLOR]
Yellow '05 4.0 Auto
DC 4" Lift, 33X12.5 Khumo MTs on Black Cragars, Tomken Rear Bumper w/2" rcvr
GITOVRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2005, 06:07 AM   #9
Katshot

Okay, I ordered the H4 conversion kit and am trying to decide on what aux. lamps to go with. I looked at the IPF 968's and like them but am not sure if I like the IPF J-01's better. Anybody have input on these?
I'd post a picture but I think I have to hit a certain post number before I can post pictures?
Unread 10-07-2005, 07:24 AM   #10
Red Ruby

I know exactly how you feel about your Jeep. I just bought my first jeep ('06 Rubicon) and I love it too!!!!!!!!!!!!
Red Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2005, 09:05 AM   #11
WheelinDigital

Welcome to the Forum!

I know a lot of people here dog out their New wrangler and think its ok, but seeing how I have a good background in engines, weather it be boats, cars, trucks and bikes, I would follow the break in procedure for the first 500 miles (minimum) up to the first 1,000. Break it in right. Break it in slow. New parts have to mesh and bond correctly, I dont care what ANYONE tells you.

Some say dont take it above 60 for that time period, but thats not it, dont take the RPM's above 2500-3000 for that time period. And on the highway it doesnt matter how fast you go, just take your time getting there. And switch between gears often to break it in.

If you are past that period then I guess dont worry about it. But the kind of problems you are mentioning are consistant with a rough break in.

Have fun! Take care of your new ride!

CJ
WheelinDigital is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.