After decades of wanting a Jeep... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Introductions > After decades of wanting a Jeep...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
heffay
1994 YJ Wrangler 

After decades of wanting a Jeep...

I finally bought one!

The wife and I traded her Saturn, my 83 Honda 250r 3-wheeler, and a bit-o-cash for what I think is a pretty sweet 1994 4-banger YJ. In the Phoenix area, the 113k miles it has on it are low. I swore I'd never get a square headlight Jeep, but once I saw it, I forgot about that.

I'm new to the Jeep world, except for having a J-20 which is an entirely different beast. I'm not sure of a lot of things about the new Wrangler, but I would imagine the gurus will be able to eyeball it and give me some good info. I'll post pics as I'm able to get them of certain parts. It is rainy today so can't get any right now, but I'll use the ones I have so far.

The engine runs nice and smooth, no additional noises. The 5 speed is a nice improvement over some of the 3 and 4 speed CJs that I've driven, although being a bit underpowered and running 33s, 5th gear is somewhat rare.

My main complaint is a loud body-flex popping noise coming from the body which has some cracks/breakage at the mount below the passenger's feet. I'll need to get that welded up and fixed so I don't go bat **** crazy.

We bought it this past Sunday, and drove the 120 miles home with no issues. The next day, we called in sick and decided to do some wheelin'. We opted to go over the Four Peaks Trail, along Roosevelt Lake, and back toward home using Apache Trail, all in all about a 130 mile trip. The Jeep did great and 4 low will climb a freakin' wall! Here's the trip report, and if you haven't seen the EveryTrail app, check it out!

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip....e374f80220c9ba

Here's the new-to-me 94 YJ

This is my previous 73 J-20 that I had about 10 years ago

heffay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
dooboy2112
2000 WJ 

Welcome to JF.
dooboy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
heffay
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, dooboy

Can you guys please tell me how this is lifted. I'm not very knowledgeable about 4x stuff, motorcycles and ATVs yes, 4x not so much. I was told it has about 3.5" lift, which I would assume to be correct since I don't think 33s would fit under a stock Wrangler, but again, what do I know?

Here's some pics of the front...
2013-11-22-15.43.39-medium-.jpg  
2013-11-22-15.43.30-medium-.jpg

2013-11-22-15.43.17-medium-.jpg

Unread 11-23-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

That's one nice lookin YJ. I can see why you fell for it, it just has that "look" that appeals to some of us.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

YJ's are awesome, I like the square headlight years.
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
heffay
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just had a new exhaust installed. I wish he would have wiped his fingerprints off but, oh well, it will be covered in mud soon. It didn't have a cat on it prior to this, the muffler was toast and was running rich as hell. He doesn't carry Magnaflow cats anymore because he's had a lot of trouble with them not warrantying that part, so it is a more restrictive cat than a Magnaflow. Since we have to emission it, and I like doing what I can to break down harmful exhaust gasses, I don't mind a proper cat. The emissions place wouldn't even test it with the old exhaust because the tailpipe just dumped straight down right after the rear axle, which also didn't help the in cab breathability either, especially at stop lights!

The sound is a bit louder than I thought it would be, but is a nice deep tone (for a 4 banger). It is actually almost the same volume as the crap exhaust that was on it, minus all the rattles.
2013-11-27-10.17.54-medium-.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.