Help With Terminology & Ideas for Future Newbies - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > JeepForum Announcements & Comments > Help With Terminology & Ideas for Future Newbies

8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for Jeeps~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 03-17-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
frankiejr

Help With Terminology & Ideas for Future Newbies

I'm stuck.

I've been reading about Jeeps for a few weeks now. I've been wanting a Jeep for years, and I finally took the leap. However, there's one problem I'm running into right now. I've been afraid to ask these questions since I started reading. I've become comfortable with being a newb though so I'm not worried so much about the lashings.

Okay. So, it's the vocabulary. Maybe I'm just impatient, but I'm having trouble following what things mean. I'm wondering if there's some silly "newb's dictionary" I can read somewhere so I can figure stuff out. Some of the words & phrases I'm confused by are:
  • "You still have the shovel installed?" (What's a shovel? I looked over the pic and couldn't figure it out.)
  • "I'd lunchbox both ends before id lift it anymore." (Huh?)
  • "IT'S GOT A D35!!! HOW THE HELL CAN THEY PUT A D35 IN A 5.9?" (Yeah, I once compiled a Linux distro as a live CD so our new datacenter OS deployment went as smooth as BASIC on a IIe.)
And then there's some things I have no idea about because I'm SO new to this stuff. I'm basically in DunceLand here, and that theme park is no fun. Some of the stuff I want (no, need!) to learn about is:
  • Regearing
  • Lockers
  • Transfer Cases
  • Gearing Ratios
  • Axles
  • Benefits, Pitfalls and enhancement differences between Suspension Lifts & Body Lifts
  • Um, everything else.
Okay. After all that, I want to make a point here... I don't want specific answers to those questions, I just want a place that I can look up this stuff so I can get up to speed. Maybe there's a book, like a "Jeep Bible" or something similar that'll help me get up to speed on the first list? This is especially tricky because I'm googling for everyday terms in "regular life" that flood my search results with things like computer part serial numbers and how to best move snow during an Ontarian blizzard.

Can anyone give me some tips on how I can learn more about this stuff without asking more annoying questions? Also, because of my job, writing documentation is a strong point of mine. Would any knowledgeable folk here be game to matching my efforts in writing up a document for future members who just want to catch up quick and start learning? I figure I can learn a ton and help out others in the process. If this sounds good to anyone just let me know!

Until then, I'll keep reading and try to make sense of stuff. Thanks!

.frankiejr

frankiejr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2007, 11:53 PM   #2
Keith
Admin

http://www.jeepiki.com/wiki/index.php/Acronyms

Glock Forum
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2007, 11:58 PM   #3
frankiejr

Thanks! This is a good start and wikis are great for this sort of thing. Let the learning begin!

.frankiejr
frankiejr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
madrabbitt

and... as far as i'm aware, a shovel is a tool that moves dirt.
jeepers like stuffing them in the weirdest places on our rigs.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt
and... as far as i'm aware, a shovel is a tool that moves dirt.
jeepers like stuffing them in the weirdest places on our rigs.
That, or the skid plate under TJ Rubicons is also referred to as the 'shovel'.

2013 Dodge Charger | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | Ramsey Winches | www.dakuda.com
dakuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2007, 09:00 PM   #6
madrabbitt

uh. you round headlight guys...
Maybe you should go FORWARDS and not scoop up dirt?

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2007, 09:53 PM   #7
Blake
Redefining body roll

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakuda
That, or the skid plate under TJ Rubicons is also referred to as the 'shovel'.
A low hanging front hitch can also be called a shovel.

1999.5 Ford F250
6.8l V10 l Auto l 4WD l 4" Spring Lift | 4.30 Gears | 35" Treadwright MT/R's

Youtube

Twitter
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2007, 09:29 AM   #8
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The fastest way that I learned terms and information about Jeeps and 4x4's in general was to start reading all the magazines on the rack at Safeway.

Peterson's 4 Wheel and OffRoad
4x4 Builder
JP Magazine
OffRoad
.. etc ..

The next would be to hang out at the local 4x4 supplier's shop and talk to the guys behind the counter. They would rather be wheelin' their rigs than sitting at a counter, so if it is a quiet day, they'll talk about wheeling and modifications till the next customer comes in.

Finally, while you are at the 4x4 shop, ask them about some local clubs that you can hook up with - and - visit our very own Wheeling Neighbourhood to see if you can locate a run with other JF'ers from your area.

Welcome to the best addiction possible!
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.