Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Active users list

413 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  88XJSport 
#1 ·
So currently active or logged in users show at the bottom of the main forum page. These used to show in alphabetical order which made it really easy to see who was online and available for discussions. Now it doesn't seem there's much organization to the currently active users list, which negates much of it's usefulness - might as well just have a counter. Any chance of getting the alphabetical order back there? Thanks.

#2 ·
I am surprised that it was even noticed. The names are organized - in the order of "activity". What you will find is those who have not been active for the longest period of time will be at the end of the list and the ones who have been active within the last couple of seconds will be at the front of the listing.

By making the listing this way it lowers the cycles required by the processor to display members online. Now that we have 1000+ people online at a time regularly it was taking precious cycles from the processor that could be used for other more important things.

We may change it back to alphabetical again later. I am just watching the logs for now to see what kind of a difference it really makes.

#3 ·
I'm surprised no one else has piped up here. I guess I prefer more of live interactive forum and don't want to wait until tomorrow for a response so look to see who's online now.
I do understand the compromises that need made to keep this place up and running. In the past I'd noticed some odd users on the front end that hadn't yet been alphabetized and it wasn't a big deal to sort through a few. Hopefully it'll turn out the processor savings from this change aren't significant enought to matter much. Or possibly an increased span between re-alphabetizing events but not none whatsoever, might keep a reasonable bit of organization there.
Thanks for keeping an eye on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.