XJ's with 2" lift and 33x10.5x15- no trimming - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > XJ's with 2" lift and 33x10.5x15- no trimming

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiIRON CROSS Jeep JK Front and Rear STUBBY BUMPERS IN STOCK

Unread 07-21-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
cyberbackpacker

XJ's with 2" lift and 33x10.5x15- no trimming

I'm doing a diesel conversion and to get into the proper power band I am going to need to run 33's, but I want to maintain a lower COG (so I do not want to exceed 2" of lift) and I do not want to remove my flares or trim. This vehicle will be a DD that also serves to get to backcountry fishing/hiking/snowboarding locations, so maximum flex, etc. is not a concern.

Anyone running this setup? If so I'd love to see some pics.

Unread 07-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #2
nolanbalzarini
1998 XJ Cherokee 

not possible to run 33's with no trimming at any level of lift. the wheel arches are like 30". it wont happen man. im running 33x10.50's with 3.5 and i had to trim the crap out of it.
also, why not just do a gear ratio conversion. its gonna be alot cheaper.
nolanbalzarini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #3
Motorcharge
Bandeded

1991 MJ Comanche 

It's possible if you plan on never moving it and very gently lower it on to the tires after putting them on and leave it in that spot indefinitely.

Driving it at a minimum would rip the flares off and the fenders themselves would cut the **** out of the tires and quite possibly deep enough to blow the tires.

I've run 33s at 2" on my 92 XJ and it took extensive cutting and reshaping of the wheel wells. The front is fairly heavily trimmed, the inner pinch welds are cut and folded and some parts had to be cut out and new flat metal welded in.

The rear wheel wells had to be cut out on the outter half, the outside heavily trimmed to the door, the small rear quarter section removed, and new sheet metal welded in to fill the gap.

You can run 30s on 2" without any sort of trimming and that's about it. Even then you're killing uptravel. Keeping an XJ low on big tires is a lot more work than people think. Trimming isn't an option, it's a requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2015, 08:32 PM   #4
nolanbalzarini
1998 XJ Cherokee 

^ thanks for writing that for me lol
nolanbalzarini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #5
cyberbackpacker

Thanks for the input.

That said 2" and 30's is not the only reality. I ran 31x10.5x15 with no lift and no trimming on my 90 XJ and never had issues with similar driving this rig will see (once in very blue moon with a heavy load I would get some rubbing on the pinch welds on compression... But that a handful of times over 40k miles of trips). Because of this I thought with the proper BS 2" and 33's should be possible.

Oh and no, in my circumstance regearing is not the cheaper, or best, option.

Pics... Post'em if you go'em!
Unread 07-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #6
Motorcharge
Bandeded

1991 MJ Comanche 

A small 31 will fit the same as a 30, but a true 31" won't ride like that. I can tell you with absolute certainty that 2" and 33"s won't work without extensive metal work.

I tried to find pictures of everything I did but apparently don't have them anymore. 33s came off and went on my MJ, the lift went on a buddies XJ and I'm getting ready to scrap what's left of the body of that XJ. First pic is standard cut and fold in the rear and some minor trimming in the front. The second is after I started reworking the wheel wells and you can see how much got removed in the rear.
img_20130704_161026_177.jpg

1599780_10152147050501558_118045692_o.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.