Wrangler with Kayak(s), Roof Rack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Wrangler with Kayak(s), Roof Rack

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wHalloween Savings to die for!

Unread 01-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
snaustin09

Wrangler with Kayak(s), Roof Rack

I recently bought a 94 Jeep Wrangler and am wondering what I will do this coming summer with my kayaks. I have been brainstorming rack ideas, and am not entirely sure what I want to do yet. I would prefer to be able to use it with the soft top and topless, but just topless is fine too. I have a hard top, but it won't be on in the summer, and it's just too heavy to take on and off. Pics are greatly appreciated, I need some inspiration!!

Unread 01-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
outlawjosywales
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've got a $300 roof rack i carry mine with.
Unread 01-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
rb1965
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry I don't have a pic....but I have a wilderness systems tarpon 100 that I strap to my roll bars with a ratcheting strap and then I use a bungee cord from each end to the front and rear bumpers. It works very well.
rb1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You could get a small trailer.
Unread 01-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
Chester405
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i would like to see some pictures of this as well. i have a 16 foot kayak that i will most likely be using this summer.
Chester405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
GIJOEBILL
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wilderness Rack.You can still use your soft or hardtop.
GIJOEBILL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #7
markoast
2006 TJ Wrangler 

two pieces of foam and strap it up to the rollbars

markoast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
Habbyjs
2005 LJ Wrangler 

LOL, I dont even use the foam, just towels.....

wow has my jeep changed from then....
Habbyjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
jaminb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I used to use the Congo cage. With some yakima cross bars and the hull raisers. Would hold two 14.5" kayaks and had a basket in between them. I still have the congo cage for sale if you want it.
jaminb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
Habbyjs
2005 LJ Wrangler 

do you have any pics of this cage/rack??
Habbyjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
bgoman
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Not a great pic, and no kayak considering i only put it on two weeks ago lol. but its the KargoMaster Congo Cage, works great for skis and such and it fits all the yakima mount i.e. skiis, kayaks, bikes, etc. apparently it is fairly easy to change hard top to soft top and to top less, but like i said, only had it for two weeks. Also has mounts for light, Hi-Lift jack and shovel.

just the cage, again sorry for the crappy pics...
bgoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 06:57 PM   #12
jaminb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbyjs View Post
do you have any pics of this cage/rack??
yeah, it's for a yj but i belive that you can just buy new front mounts and it will work just fine. It's is the same as the one on the white Tj.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/90-sahara-build-628227/ it's in the first two pictures, i dont think i have any pictures with the kayak's on it.
Unread 02-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #13
snaustin09

My girlfriend's dad just gave me his old yakima system that was originally rain gutter mount, I should be able to fab something up that will allow me to use it with the hardtop and topless, and he gave me the clamps and crossbars so I can use any of the yakima accessories with it. I know it's a long shot, but has anyone else used this system? Just looking for ideas, if not I'll just try to fab something up myself.
Unread 02-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #14
jaminb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

it would be hard to use the rain gutter system just because of how the mount. Maybe it would work with the hard top if you are willing to drill into the hard top. But i dont know of a way you could get it to work with no top.
Unread 02-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #15
snaustin09

Well I was planning on drilling into the rear of the hard top to make the rear work and making some sort of bracket that went around the roll bar for when it's topless.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.