1Likes
  • 1 Post By underpowered

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-03-2014, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
mauser1891
1997 ZJ 

Where are the ZJ's..?

Hello Folks,

I just acquired a '97 ZJ Limited 5.2 and would really like to see some that others have stock to built. I am still in the "lofting stage" and it will take me a bit to decide to which degree I want to go with it upgrade-wise. Thus sharing your minimal upgrade info would be appreciated without it becoming a complete story, but please feel free to leave a link to your ZJ's build/upgrade story please do.
Your assistance in sharing is very appreciated.

Thank You,
mauser1891

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-05-2014, 03:56 PM
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

many ZJ threads on here. best to check the Lifted ZJ thread in the ZJ section, tons of pics with specs to help you decide how big you want to go.
mauser1891 likes this.

1998 ZJ-- lowered a touch

2005 GMC 2500HD 496 C.I.

Fat Amy-1989 K5 blazer. Linked, lifted, 38.5's on won tons. Big Girls can play in the woods too.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-23-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
mauser1891
1997 ZJ 

Hello underpowered,

I forgot to thank you for your reply. I found the ZJ pictures thread . I now need to follow up on their build threads on what kits ("off the rack"/"custom"), wheels, tires, snorkel kits and vendors they used in the builds.
I am getting a kick out of the part of your sig which says, "street queen but sees the woods once in a while".
I have in my mind to go with a minor $400 3.5" lift kit, with some trimming to open up the wheel wells. The intention is to keep the ZJ low as possible, while having larger than stock tires without rubbing and Spartan lockers are in order. It's taken me awhile to be able to recover as my '89 Grand Wagoneer was stolen with all of my gear and boots. Please note that I do not mind getting dings, scratches or dents as I merely view them as minor "markings" that will occur during adventures. And I am now ready to embark upon a new one now with this '97 ZJ. Somewhere here I will try to recall to share my build and materials used, and vendors should another "like" the build path I have chosen. But it shall also serve as a place for me to log it and the adventures I am looking forward to...

Thank You,
mauser1891

Twenty-West & Eye-Five, in a place called NW Washington... lmao

post #4 of 6 Old 06-25-2014, 06:08 PM
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

not a problem. there are many ways to build them, all depending on yours uses and what you like. Dents and Dings just add character, no need to fear them.

1998 ZJ-- lowered a touch

2005 GMC 2500HD 496 C.I.

Fat Amy-1989 K5 blazer. Linked, lifted, 38.5's on won tons. Big Girls can play in the woods too.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-30-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
mauser1891
1997 ZJ 

Magnaflow/Flowmaster and General Grabber AT2

Hello Folks,

Lost track of my thread here. Couple years ago I acquired a new module for my heating system, but is failing or "leaking" current with the system switched off and key removed of late. Feeling a bit fortunate that it's now June and I won't need the heat, but I need to keep in mind that I won't have defrost capability should I have a rainy day. Note that ZJ's Limited's are luxury in respect that they have power everything. When one has power everything, it makes things very interesting to track down a electrical issue with all the various circuits.

The ZJ is currently sitting on some 245/70R16 General Grabber AT2's. I was considering the BFG T/A KO2's as Costco had them on sale. It came down to two elements of that the BFG had one more ply on the side wall, but weighed in 4 more pounds per tire. I have no idea how many reviews that I had read, and video's I have watched since my final purchase. And one of the most important deciding factors were what people had to share in these forums. In that regard I sure appreciate all that have shared. The tires needed to be ordered via Discount Tire and I did take my other stock wheels into the shop, thus they only needed to be swapped with the snow tires I had been running on for the last year.

Last year I thought that my muffler had a loose baffle inside and was making noise. The muffler was removed, but it wasn't the cause of the noise. It was part of the catalytic converter. Having a limited amount of revenue and talking with the guy at the shop I decided to go with the Magnaflow High Flow catalytic converter. Sorry I don't currently have the part number for the unit at this time.
I took time to listen to all the various Flowmaster mufflers in all the video's that I could find to decide on which one I wanted. I had to consider what they actually sounded like on a ZJ else preferring other vehicles that have the 5.2 Magnum engines. Last element for listening would be other rigs that have close to the same engine displacement. The top video's were those that had the vehicles merely driving by as if they were on a daily drive, but also provided in-vehicle sound examples.
Considering dual exhaust or keeping to a single in, single out. I stayed with single in, single out as I might cross some water in the future and thought that it would be better to only allow water into a single pipe than two pipes from my current perspective.

Thank You,
mauser1891

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mauser1891; 07-03-2017 at 11:43 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-17-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
mauser1891
1997 ZJ 

Hello Folks,

My girlfriend liked my ZJ so much she got herself one. Only difference is that hers is white compared to my silver. She has had hers for a couple of years and has decided that she wants to acquire a new engine when required. I'm currently replacing her original O2 sensors and the stock starter. Last year I pulled my front light housings and refinished them with wet/dry sand paper and a UV resistant clear coat. And as I went I swapped in my housings onto her ZJ, and refinished hers to put on my ZJ. Eventually I'd like to make a reference parts list and the vendors I've used eventually. I forgot to mention that I did provide her the link to the "Girl/Women's Only" section of the forum.

Thank You,
mauser1891

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.