*Videos* MT/Rs in the mud - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > *Videos* MT/Rs in the mud

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-30-2006, 10:22 AM   #1
Drew_Jeep14

*Videos* MT/Rs in the mud

hey im lookin for some videos of some MT/Rs goin through the mud. Thanks!

Unread 05-30-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
grandman97
Web Wheeler

MT/Rs dont go through the mud heres a video of how bad MT/Rs are, he is locked front and rear and cant get any traction... everyone else in the group walked right up that hill w/ barely any wheel spin ... .a guy on BFG ATs walked up it just before this guy.....
http://www.zippyvideos.com/2959665491614516/mvi_0568/
grandman97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
mctonyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandman97
MT/Rs dont go through the mud heres a video of how bad MT/Rs are, he is locked front and rear and cant get any traction... everyone else in the group walked right up that hill w/ barely any wheel spin ... .a guy on BFG ATs walked up it just before this guy.....
http://www.zippyvideos.com/2959665491614516/mvi_0568/
That's a brutal example of how the MTR's perform in the mud. That looks like a stock Rubicon with the stock 31" MTR's.

There is a huge difference between the 31x10.5" MTR's and a MTR in a 12.5" width. Because the tire was originally designed for the 12.5" width, the tread was extremely "condensed" to fit this new, smaller size.

I wish I had some video of my jeep going through the mud with my 35x12.5x15 MTR's, and I'm sure others that have them in the larger 12.5" width would agree with me that they're not bad at all. Just blip the gas every once and a while to clean them out and you're good to go.

One of the best all-around tires out there!
Unread 06-03-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
MT3Geiger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I agree, I don't care for my 10.5 MT/R's in the deep stuff but my uncles 33 x 12.5's have gone through some really thick stuff and have been great.

Nathan

2" BB, 1" BL, 33x12.5x16 Boggers, Cobra 75, KC 130W slimlights, OR Fab Rock Doors, and some poison spyder diff guards
MT3Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #5
Testykalz
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I try to stay clear from mud, but when I have to go through it...my MT/R's worked just fine.
Testykalz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2006, 03:05 AM   #6
newjeeperguy

One of the worst all around tires out there. First rain storm, mud or winter you have to go through in Nebraska with the P.O.S. MT/r's and you will not be liking your dad for talking you into them.
If they weren't so good in the rocks they would rival thornturds in who could make a more worthless tire. Well OK they aren't that bad, but their close
But since you repeatedly bring up the MT/r's, let your dad pay the difference and be done with it.

A 32/11.5 MT/r would have not got that Rubi up that hill much better. MT/r's are worthless in the mud, its a fact. They are not mud tires and were never meant or designed to be in the mud. They were made to be (in any size) a rock crawling tire, something they are very good at. Outside of that they are not much good at all.
However IMO I think your worrying to much about how those things do in the mud up here. Your main concern should be wet roads and snow covered roads. Two more areas the MT/r is all but worthless in, but hey your dad will be happy
Hope he has a tow truck.
newjeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2006, 07:50 AM   #7
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I really need to get a video of exactly what you're asking for. MTRs do just fine in mud.

My avatar for example... some nasty mud at the Badlands. The first rig didn't make it. He was locked front and rear and running Swamper TSLs. I had no problem with my MTRs and only locked in the rear.

So for everyone who says they saw BFT ATs go where MTRs couldn't, there's just as many people with stories of how their MTRs went where a dedicated mud tire wouldn't. There's too many variables to compare different tires in different sizes on different rigs who take different lines on the trail.

And its always the stock Rubi MTRs that get all the negative comments. They must be a different tire somehow. Maybe its the load range E rating that makes them suck. I don't know. Everyone else running any other size loves them.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2006, 10:25 AM   #8
grandman97
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ

, there's just as many people with stories of how their MTRs went where a dedicated mud tire wouldn't. There's too many variables to compare different tires in different sizes on different rigs who take different lines on the trail.

i've never heard a story like that my Trxus MTs completely outdid the same size MT/Rs, my LTBs completely outdo MT/Rs in every aspect... they are over priced and horrible
grandman97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2006, 11:29 AM   #9
TJgreg
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
MTRs do just fine in mud.
depends what kind of mud. TSL's and baja claws walked through here right before this pic...as you can see its really not even that deep.

Unread 06-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #10
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

No video for you, but I will step up and add.... my 31" MT/R's are NOT good in mud. They turn into slicks, and prettty muck suck.
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2006, 12:33 PM   #11
newjeeperguy

Oh noooo.

The last 2 guys are blowing the THEORY that only Rubi MT/r's suck in the mud.
Unread 06-06-2006, 12:46 PM   #12
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, then I have a new theory.

I must be the greatest driver in the world because I know how to get through mud with MTRs.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #13
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Keep in mind that the driver also plays a big part. Even the best set up Jeep can make a mess out of a trail when I crappy driver is behind the wheel. For example I was on a rocky trail near here (John Bull) behind two Rubicon on 35's (MT/R's as a matter of fact). They couldn't do jack and kept getting stuck. So should I assume the MT/R's suck on rocks or perhaps Rubicons are better mall cruisers. Of course not. It was all crapy driving. I've said it before and I'll say it again, "Driver skill is highly underrated."

They few times I've had my MT/R's in mud they have performed exceptionally. Since MT/R's suck in the mud I can only conclude that I'm an exceptional driver.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2006, 01:18 PM   #14
newjeeperguy

Quote:
Okay, then I have a new theory.

I must be the greatest driver in the world because I know how to get through mud with MTRs.
Great theory, since its all you and not the tires. We wont have to hear anymore BS about what a great all around tire they are. Instead we will hear the truth about how the tires suck for most anything outside of the rock garden.
Unread 06-06-2006, 03:07 PM   #15
Spartan302

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandman97
they are over priced and horrible
Maybe for where you wheel. Go tell that to somebody out on the west coast.
Spartan302 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.